Journeyman
Established Member
- Joined
- 16 Apr 2014
- Messages
- 6,295
Nothing is perfectly safe if we’re being honest.
No, it isn't, so we shouldn't use that term, but there are plenty of things safer than that.
Nothing is perfectly safe if we’re being honest.
Therefore, I politely suggest you shut up about things you don't understand.
The longest period without a fatal train crash in the industry's history (getting on for 13 years and counting) is in the 21st century, and is down to the hard work and dedication of thousands of people.
I don't pine after the days when the railway routinely killed several dozen people a year in horrific accidents.
We used to send kids down mines for twelve hours a day. Thankfully things move on.
I assume that the reason it became practice that the way to open a railway carriage door was to open the window fully, reach through, and use the outside handle, was to reduce the likelihood of it being opened accidentally on the move. However, it's quite an awkward operation, especially for anyone with limited dexterity, poor grip, or shoulder or arm injuries, and surely ought to have been superseded long ago.
I thought that most or all first generation DMUs had inside door handles, and I don't remember them having a locking system. Is that right, and if so, why were those designs allowed and yet mk3s built in the late 1970s still had droplights and outside handles only?
I wouldn’t conflate train accidents with windows. If I get on a train and something goes wrong like the driver having a SPAD (as at Southall for example) it’s largely beyond my control, whereas making a dumb decision to lean out of a droplight certainly is within my power. Personally I’d prefer resources to be directed towards the former risk as this is something potentially of relevance to a far greater number of people.
I assume that the reason it became practice that the way to open a railway carriage door was to open the window fully, reach through, and use the outside handle, was to reduce the likelihood of it being opened accidentally on the move. However, it's quite an awkward operation, especially for anyone with limited dexterity, poor grip, or shoulder or arm injuries, and surely ought to have been superseded long ago.
I thought that most or all first generation DMUs had inside door handles, and I don't remember them having a locking system. Is that right, and if so, why were those designs allowed and yet mk3s built in the late 1970s still had droplights and outside handles only?
I didn't dare tell her about the free-emission toilets!
What risks would they be? With door locking fitted how can an inside handle pose any risk?Because the additional door locking system was a secondary system - originally known as “Secondary Door Locking” - fitting interior handles would introduce additional risks.
What risks would they be? With door locking fitted how can an inside handle pose any risk?
The thing is, resources were devoted to reducing SPADs, and their incidence is now a tiny fraction of what it was a few decades ago. Southall was instrumental in the decision to roll out TPWS, which has massively reduced the risk of train collisions - hence, that risk is now nowhere near as high a priority as it was in the past. Hence the lack of fatal crashes for 13 years.
It is now the case that droplights have moved significantly higher up the "league table" of risk, with two known fatalities over the last few years, so that's why it's getting attention now.
But, presumably, not as high up the league table as level crossings - which nowadays I'd probably regard as my biggest risk when travelling by train. I'd prefer resources be directed towards that risk rather than something which is essentially people doing something daft and risking only their own safety.
Perhaps the answer, which would be cheaper than installing power doors on stock which isn’t going to be around for long anyway, is to glue the droplights shut and install internal door handles.
Given they’re centrally locked there’s no need to rely on outside handles for safety.
Because the additional door locking system was a secondary system - originally known as “Secondary Door Locking” - fitting interior handles would introduce additional risks.
I thought that most or all first generation DMUs had inside door handles, and I don't remember them having a locking system. Is that right, and if so, why were those designs allowed and yet mk3s built in the late 1970s still had droplights and outside handles only?
It would be a pretty big mod: the CDL kit is all at the top of the door. If you’re looking at door blocking interlocked with CDL you’d basically need new doors.Presumably it wouldn't be difficult to fit a system like UIC door blocking to the handle (or even simply using off the shelf handles for that purpose), so its use would also be blocked if the locking was engaged. This works by disconnecting the internal handle mechanially.
It would be a pretty big mod: the CDL kit is all at the top of the door. If you’re looking at door blocking interlocked with CDL you’d basically need new doors.
The railway is capable of addressing more than one safety issue at a time.
It’s still a big mod. There’s no electrical or pneumatic connection to the door itself.Think outside the box, specifically outside the CDL box. The control signal could control the handle independently.
It would require some sort of flexible cable onto the door to carry that signal (whatever it is) and the handle box itself to have whatever electronics would interface with that. Not an excessively complex problem. Certainly a far simpler set of electronics and mechanics than a power-operated door of any kind.
(I've never quite worked out how the signal gets to the handle on a UIC door, I suspect some sort of cable inside the door, but it doesn't have to be the same design).
It’s still a big mod. There’s no electrical or pneumatic connection to the door itself.
They do require quite some force to operate (to the point where I tended just to use the outside handle anyway)
As far as I can tell, nothing has been done to improve the safety of cyclists in Cardiff in the past 20 years or so. Also road fatalities have been broadly the same for the last decade. Plenty more could be done to improve road safety but the cynic in me suspects that it's not a vote winner so it won't happen.Nope, that's not good enough. In the 21st century, there is absolutely no need for a window that can result in decapitation through misuse.
You clearly don't understand the principle of ALARP. There will always be accidents, yes, but it's a matter of reducing them to the lowest practical level. If you look at road safety statistics you'll see that the number of deaths and serious injuries on UK roads has declined sharply, because determined measures have been taken to improve safety. Likewise on the railways.
As far as I can tell, nothing has been done to improve the safety of cyclists in Cardiff in the past 20 years or so. Also road fatalities have been broadly the same for the last decade. Plenty more could be done to improve road safety but the cynic in me suspects that it's not a vote winner so it won't happen.
perhaps less dangerous items close to trains on the continent).
I can't deny that British railways have a great safety record.
But the tradeoff with making it safer is that - in some cases (there are many improvements that have no negative impact - better crash standards for example) - it makes the railways either more expensive or more inconvenient - which in turn would make it less attractive, reducing usage numbers, making the overall world less safe if more people drive instead of taking the train (because driving is inherently more dangerous than the train).
Of course - for droplights, this is irrelevant. Removing them or barring them doesn't make the railway any less convenient or more expensive (except for the handful of grumbling enthusiasts).
There's loads of road safety stuff that could be implemented if motorists' preferences could be over-ruled, and more money spent on enforcement (ideally paid for out of an increase in VED if necessary).Actually again, the UK is very good at this - it just doesn't tend to get noticed. My wife is a driving instructor, and it's well known that the UK driving test is one of the most thorough and difficult in the world. It's regularly changed to make it more appropriate to modern conditions and more challenging - it now includes following satnav directions. It may be that we've reached a point where it's difficult to make further improvements, but much like our railways, our roads are among the safest you'll find anywhere, and that's come about with a lot of effort.
There's loads of road safety stuff that could be implemented if motorists' preferences could be over-ruled, and more money spent on enforcement (ideally paid for out of an increase in VED if necessary).
For example, installing many more speed cameras (not having to wait until someone gets killed in a known dangerous location first). Fitting automatic speed limiters, and recorders, in all cars. Actually enforcing 20mph limits. Changing the lax sentencing for motorists who kill people through negligence. Having a proper system to prosecute people whose reckless driving is recorded by cyclists etc.
Can't argue with that. I don't think there's any credible reason for being opposed to speed cameras. I stick to speed limits, so have never been caught by one. It isn't a "tax on motorists", because it's incredibly easy to avoid paying it!
Couple of points here for information. The internal door handles on old DMUs were very difficult to operate.....you had to slide a metal catch against a spring using the force of your fingers or thumbs and did not have the mechanical advantage of a rotating handle. In practice very few people used the inside handles. With regard to Mark 3 coaches....they did originally have inside handles I believe ....quite easy to operate with a large lever but these were rapidly removed....I think because of accidents on platforms when doors were flung open without any prior check by the passenger inside. (Editing to add a question). I have tried without success to find a reference to the original internal door handles on Mark 3 coaches. I remember using them for a brief period on (probably) WCML loco-hauled stock. Can anyone else find pictures or even a reference.??I assume that the reason it became practice that the way to open a railway carriage door was to open the window fully, reach through, and use the outside handle, was to reduce the likelihood of it being opened accidentally on the move. However, it's quite an awkward operation, especially for anyone with limited dexterity, poor grip, or shoulder or arm injuries, and surely ought to have been superseded long ago.
I thought that most or all first generation DMUs had inside door handles, and I don't remember them having a locking system. Is that right, and if so, why were those designs allowed and yet mk3s built in the late 1970s still had droplights and outside handles only?