• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Last LNR train (bus!) of the day from Euston

Status
Not open for further replies.

boiledbeans2

Member
Joined
15 Oct 2020
Messages
977
Location
UK
I've been checking the last LNR train which departs from Euston on RTT.

On most days, the last two northbound trains are 0039 and 0139.
However, on Saturday night (Sunday morning), both the above trains don't exist, and are replaced by multiple buses - some fast, some stopping - all departing at 0200.

I guess this is possibly engineering work on the WCML on Saturday night? But what is the logic in this?
Saturday night is party night, and the late night trains (if it existed) would be most useful on this night, compared to the rest of the week. It would be more logical to put RRBs on Sunday night (Monday morning) instead.

Anyway, has anyone tried the 0200 buses before? Are they full of drunken party-goers? I ask because the 0200 may be a bus I would need to take occasionally in the near future.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,382
I've been checking the last LNR train which departs from Euston on RTT.

On most days, the last two northbound trains are 0039 and 0139.
However, on Saturday night (Sunday morning), both the above trains don't exist, and are replaced by multiple buses - some fast, some stopping - all departing at 0200.

I guess this is possibly engineering work on the WCML on Saturday night? But what is the logic in this?
Saturday night is party night, and the late night trains (if it existed) would be most useful on this night, compared to the rest of the week. It would be more logical to put RRBs on Sunday night (Monday morning) instead.

Anyway, has anyone tried the 0200 buses before? Are they full of drunken party-goers? I ask because the 0200 may be a bus I would need to take occasionally in the near future.
By doing any engineering work on the Saturday night gives them longer to do the work as services start later on a Sunday morning,

If this was done Sunday night there would be less time as services start a lot earlier on a Monday morning.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
It is fairly standard on routes which have trains operating overnight all week for them to not operate on Saturday nights. GWR, who operate overnight trains Paddington to Reading, Transpennine Express, and TLRailUK, only operate these services Sunday - Friday.

Southern operate an overnight service Three Bridges to Victoria which is probably the significant exception as this ONLY runs on Saturday nights (probably because there’s no TLRailUK on these nights)
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,705
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I have used these but not for years. I recall them not being very busy and largely populated by despondent people who missed the 0015 which most consider to be the last service. They aren't party buses, most are likely to be asleep.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
Anyway, has anyone tried the 0200 buses before? Are they full of drunken party-goers? I ask because the 0200 may be a bus I would need to take occasionally in the near future.
as above the buses are fine. Most are asleep. It is torture though. The journey back to MK takes years. Also make sure you have a good empty before boarding.
 

boiledbeans2

Member
Joined
15 Oct 2020
Messages
977
Location
UK
Thanks all for your replies. I didn't realise GWR and GTR had the same arrangements.

My destination would be Watford Junction, so not as bad as MKC!

Are the buses full though? Would you have to start queuing early, say at 0130, to ensure you aren't left behind? I assume no standing is allowed in the coaches.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,538
Location
LBK
No. These buses are horrible and carry a few stragglers. Enjoy your trip. Haha.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top