• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Last Days of the 45/1's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darbs

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2016
Messages
59
Morning, just wondering if any one can help me out with my fading memory! I'm sure there was a service from Bristol TM to York I think in 87/88 on a Saturday morning leaving Bristol TM about 9. If I remember correctly it was a 45/1 and a take in NSE mark ones. If any one can confirm this and has any pictures I would be most grateful! I'm sure I used to catch it to Bristol Parkway and then return to Bristol TM on a Birmingham to Weston service formed of Tysley DMU,s.

Thanks in advance for confirming that I'm correct or my memory has gone!!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
I'm not sure about this Darbs. I was in Exeter and they were banned west of Bristol by then although at least two made it to Paignton in the summer of 88. I don't know if they had many (if any) rostered passenger turns in the summer of 1988 so you may be looking at 1987 for the turn you're looking for.
There used to be a loco hauled travel book each year I think by Platform 5 that may still be available showing all the different duties. Alternatively there might be something on the Derby Sulzers site.
 

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2010
Messages
6,906
Location
Richmond, London
Although I no longer had an interest in railways by that stage I'm surprised that a rake of Mk1s were still running those kind of distances.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
Although I no longer had an interest in railways by that stage I'm surprised that a rake of Mk1s were still running those kind of distances.

The NSE mk1s certainly got around on summer Saturdays back then. One of the Cambrian Coast trains by the time it got to Pwllheli was quite often powered by Railfreight and/or blue liveried pairs of 37s with a rake of Network Southeast mk1s (maybe a moonlighting Cobbler set), while I remember as late as 1992 catching 47521 on a rake of NSE mk1s from Exeter to Reading which I presume was a Chiltern set being used for other things at the weekend.
 

Taunton

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
12,322
One of the Northampton Cobbler Mk 1 sets (B4 bogies) ran a Sunday evening Liverpool to London service in 88-89. In the days of an Inter City £1/£2 supplement for First Class on weekends it was very pleasant to ride in a Mk 1 FK compartment, generally on my own.
 

Crewe Exile

Member
Joined
4 Jan 2016
Messages
70
Interesting one. I can't recall what the turn would be heading northwards from Bristol at that time in the morning. Peak workings were heavily reduced from May 87. I do remember taking in the Saturday only Scarborough to Paignton on a fair few occasions in Summer 87. This was a solid Peak turn, large rake of Mk 1s and was always packed, not least due to many peak bashers on the service. Many of which were half cut by the time the train reached Birmingham New Street!. Peaks had a fair following, albeit a small number were 'a little boisterous' shall we say!
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
The infamous Peak Army. They certainly had a bit of a reputation.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top