J-M-C
New Member
- Joined
- 7 Aug 2014
- Messages
- 4
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:R62982/2026-10-02/detailed
Sprawled in spray paint on the back of the last VGA wagon of today's 6M51 0530 Cardiff Tidal T.C. to Burton was: "LAST BURTON VGA SERVICE"
What a surprising and poignant way to find out about a wagon type going out of service! I have popped into my (new) local station, Moseley Village in Birmingham a few times over the summer to photograph, video or just to view this service and have enjoyed the sight and sound of these battered old 2-axle wagons clattering through - a rare apparition of 80s/90s British Rail in 2026.
Today's message was in large block capitals and very much in keeping with the heavily graffitied wagons.
I wonder, will the service continue with different wagons? And was this the last use of VGAs on the network?
Incidentally, looking at RT + signalling diagrams, this train has previously had banker assistance up the Lickey, today however, there's no banker loco movements to be seen so I'm assuming 66200 must have managed the 1200T on it's own.
Cheers,
James
Sprawled in spray paint on the back of the last VGA wagon of today's 6M51 0530 Cardiff Tidal T.C. to Burton was: "LAST BURTON VGA SERVICE"
What a surprising and poignant way to find out about a wagon type going out of service! I have popped into my (new) local station, Moseley Village in Birmingham a few times over the summer to photograph, video or just to view this service and have enjoyed the sight and sound of these battered old 2-axle wagons clattering through - a rare apparition of 80s/90s British Rail in 2026.
Today's message was in large block capitals and very much in keeping with the heavily graffitied wagons.
I wonder, will the service continue with different wagons? And was this the last use of VGAs on the network?
Incidentally, looking at RT + signalling diagrams, this train has previously had banker assistance up the Lickey, today however, there's no banker loco movements to be seen so I'm assuming 66200 must have managed the 1200T on it's own.
Cheers,
James