Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!
Thanks for that Mr Bridge. Still lots of stuff to do on it as I say, but it’s nice to have something to tinker with when you’ve got a couple of hours.
I bought myself a cheap little spray gun the other day so that I can start weathering the track etc.
You’d think so but there’s an inordinate amount of DIY to do at home! I reckon I’ll get some time on it though and there’s no hurry.
Paul’s railway that we’ve also been preparing for the show season isn’t such an important job now either so at least we’ll have time to do it properly.
I just had to unlock my own thread because it’s been so long since I updated it!
I don’t know why I just paused at the point I got to and didn’t finish what I started, but in the spirit of everyone else doing it I thought I’d better do a little Christmas advent thing for the last week before the 25th myself. I’ll also do a bit of a railway update this week too. Here we go then for the 18th.
Starting with the most humble. One Bubble Car bouncing...
It’s actually a Dapol dummy one that runs with tomorrow’s entry. It’s chipped, weathered by me, and I’ve also added a bit of pipe work to one end.
I used to catch that unit home when I lived in Topsham so I had to have it.
I just had to unlock my own thread because it’s been so long since I updated it!
I don’t know why I just paused at the point I got to and didn’t finish what I started, but in the spirit of everyone else doing it I thought I’d better do a little Christmas advent thing for the last week before the 25th myself. I’ll also do a bit of a railway update this week too. Here we go then for the 18th.
Starting with the most humble. One Bubble Car bouncing...
It’s actually a Dapol dummy one that runs with tomorrow’s entry. It’s chipped, weathered by me, and I’ve also added a bit of pipe work to one end.
I used to catch that unit home when I lived in Topsham so I had to have it.
I was actually going to ask about this thread a short while ago - I'd wondered what had happened! Nice to see updates again (although I've been following the 'projects on the go' thread).
That unit looks really smart - and really cool with the weathering. It's the kind of thing I think of when I hear 'British Rail' - blue and grey, older unit, bit dirty! I can relate to why you got it - a few of my engines have come from times when I've seen/been on the real thing and wanted my own little version.
I was actually going to ask about this thread a short while ago - I'd wondered what had happened! Nice to see updates again (although I've been following the 'projects on the go' thread).
That unit looks really smart - and really cool with the weathering. It's the kind of thing I think of when I hear 'British Rail' - blue and grey, older unit, bit dirty! I can relate to why you got it - a few of my engines have come from times when I've seen/been on the real thing and wanted my own little version.
One Bog Cart rattling... It’s my Farish 2 car Class 108, pictured coupled up to the Bubble Car on an Exmouth to Barnstaple working in 1990. Next stop Eggesford...
This one was weathered by TMC and I’ve fitted pipes to the non coupling end.
We ended up with a motley collection of DMUs back in those days due to the batch of 142s (Skippers) being entirely unsuitable for the Cornish branch lines. I went away one week sometime around 1987/88 and by the time I got back all the 142s had disappeared, replaced by this kind of thing.
I must admit that we were pretty pleased.
Yes we had 101s, 108s and Bubble Cars on all the Devon and Cornwall branch lines in the 1987 to mid 1990s era after the original 142s but before we started getting 150s, one class 108 spectacularly burst into flames on Rattray near Totnes one day, this photo is from the Totnes Fire Station site:
It’s the 20th and it’s advent time again.
This is my Farish Railfreight 47, again typical for the line in that era. It sometimes gets turfed out on the Exeter spare set for a run to Barnstaple and back when a DMU has packed up too...
Today it’s picking up a couple of wagons loaded with fertiliser.
It’s weathered and has some extra detail on the bufferbeam, all done by me this time.
Having had both I’d say that they’re definitely better than that, certainly as far as the mechanisms go but also the way that they’re fast catching up in detail.
That 47 is quite an old model now but the 31 I’ve ordered looks very well detailed and would give a 00 one a run for its money probably.
Just wish they were half the price considering they’re half the size.
It’s W55030/T014 Mr Bridge, thinking about it though I’m not entirely certain it was a Laira based one because its got a Tyseley number on it. We did have them down here with the black windscreen surrounds though.
Yes I actually thought about mentioning that.
For those that are wondering about the reference he’s a moderator on wnxx, it’s probably fair to say that his shift turned out to be slightly more exciting than he hoped when he signed on that day...
Like you I'm not certain on more recent times either but I can guarantee it was originally a WR allocated unit as I've seen a shot of it at Padstow on a service to/from Bodmin Road in January 1967 so potentially it could have seen use on the North Devon line at least during its earlier years of service?
Like you I'm not certain on more recent times either but I can guarantee it was originally a WR allocated unit as I've seen a shot of it at Padstow on a service to/from Bodmin Road in January 1967 so potentially it could have seen use on the North Devon line at least during its earlier years of service?
It’s W55030/T014 Mr Bridge, thinking about it though I’m not entirely certain it was a Laira based one because its got a Tyseley number on it. We did have them down here with the black windscreen surrounds though.
You do realise that I’ve had to go and unpack it from the box to check what it’s actually numbered now..?
It was in the second layer down (some might call it Tier 2 ), but anyway here’s a zoomed in photo showing W55030:
The front has T014:
But the book shows 55030 listed as L130:
And T014 should actually be Tyseley based 55034:
Well that’s it. Christmas is ruined as far as I’m concerned.
Heads need to roll here...
You do realise that I’ve had to go and unpack it from the box to check what it’s actually numbered now..?
It was in the second layer down (some might call it Tier 2 ), but anyway here’s a zoomed in photo showing W55030:
That’s a bit poor isn’t it? Dapol do some strange things sometimes, I think I’m going to live with it because I don’t exactly fancy renumbering it Matt.
You do realise that I’ve had to go and unpack it from the box to check what it’s actually numbered now..?
It was in the second layer down (some might call it Tier 2 ), but anyway here’s a zoomed in photo showing W55030:
That’s a bit poor isn’t it? Dapol do some strange things sometimes, I think I’m going to live with it because I don’t exactly fancy renumbering it Matt.
Lots of the model companies do odd things at times, but I would agree re changing the numbers - not something I particularly relish either, but in my case very necessary.
Blimey what did I start? Wish I hadn't asked that question now!
Every shot I've seen depicting Halwill-Torrington services during the dmu era seems to show a class 122 Gloucester RCW bubble car in use, but surely the 121s must have also worked the line too as they were as common on Bude and North Cornwall Line services as the 122s were.
Yes we had 101s, 108s and Bubble Cars on all the Devon and Cornwall branch lines in the 1987 to mid 1990s era after the original 142s but before we started getting 150s, one class 108 spectacularly burst into flames on Rattray near Totnes one day, this photo is from the Totnes Fire Station site:
This is my Farish Railfreight 47, again typical for the line in that era. It sometimes gets turfed out on the Exeter spare set for a run to Barnstaple and back when a DMU has packed up too...
Today it’s picking up a couple of wagons loaded with fertiliser.
It’s weathered and has some extra detail on the bufferbeam, all done by me this time.
That 47 looks really good @Cowley - it's in the same livery 47376, which is the one I'm going to paint my 47 into (bar the Railfreight logo). I'm always impressed with the amount of detail in N gauge models and this is no exception. The detailing on the layout is brilliant as well: I've just been scrolling through the 'projects on the go' thread and it's reminded me of the detail you've added to your layout.
Blimey what did I start? Wish I hadn't asked that question now!
Every shot I've seen depicting Halwill-Torrington services during the dmu era seems to show a class 122 Gloucester RCW bubble car in use, but surely the 121s must have also worked the line too as they were as common on Bude and North Cornwall Line services as the 122s were.
Well you are the West Country branch line library Mr Bridge.
Incidentally I just noticed how badly I spelt ‘Rattery’ in the post you quoted. Slightly embarrassing...
That 47 looks really good @Cowley - it's in the same livery 47376, which is the one I'm going to paint my 47 into (bar the Railfreight logo). I'm always impressed with the amount of detail in N gauge models and this is no exception. The detailing on the layout is brilliant as well: I've just been scrolling through the 'projects on the go' thread and it's reminded me of the detail you've added to your layout.
Thanks Peter. I always thought that the 47s looked nice in that livery and I’ve got quite a few photos of them in that scheme picking up and dropping off wagons in the yard.
I might get a banger blue one at some point, I’m trying to find a photo of one with snowploughs on the branch but no joy yet unfortunately.
It’s the 21st and the goose is getting fat...
This is Dapol 33102 in good old work stained BR blue:
I’ve weathered it, added the pipes and the rubbing plate to the front and even managed to fit it with a non working buckeye (which believe me was not easy).
It was the first model I bought for the line and it’s still one of my favourites.
Here’s a shot of it running around the log train before heading back to Exeter Riverside:
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
I missed yesterday, so here’s the one for Tuesday the 22nd
It’s my Farish class 37 - 37035 in Dutch livery:
It’s another loco that was a bit of a favourite as it ended up down here after it left Scotland. I had a run behind it dragging a failed HST from Exeter one day and it looked the absolute business with a full set of snowploughs.
I bought this one off eBay and I’ve weathered it and added the pipes etc to the front (a bit of an obsession of mine).
I also shaved the NEM socket off the front bogie so that I could set the ploughs back further as slotting them into the socket left it looking like it had an underbite.
Fiddly but worth it...
I'm liking the look of your stock! The weathering is great for N gauge. I agree ploughs complete the look on many loco's. Your 37 is my favourite so far
Well you are the West Country branch line library Mr Bridge.
Incidentally I just noticed how badly I spelt ‘Rattery’ in the post you quoted. Slightly embarrassing...
Thanks Peter. I always thought that the 47s looked nice in that livery and I’ve got quite a few photos of them in that scheme picking up and dropping off wagons in the yard.
I might get a banger blue one at some point, I’m trying to find a photo of one with snowploughs on the branch but no joy yet unfortunately.
It’s the 21st and the goose is getting fat...
This is Dapol 33102 in good old work stained BR blue:
I’ve weathered it, added the pipes and the rubbing plate to the front and even managed to fit it with a non working buckeye (which believe me was not easy).
It was the first model I bought for the line and it’s still one of my favourites.
Here’s a shot of it running around the log train before heading back to Exeter Riverside:
It’s another loco that was a bit of a favourite as it ended up down here after it left Scotland. I had a run behind it dragging a failed HST from Exeter one day and it looked the absolute business with a full set of snowploughs.
I bought this one off eBay and I’ve weathered it and added the pipes etc to the front (a bit of an obsession of mine).
I also shaved the NEM socket off the front bogie so that I could set the ploughs back further as slotting them into the socket left it looking like it had an underbite.
Fiddly but worth it...
I meant to reply the other day but forgot
Those engines both look really nice: the Class 33 really looks the part, as does the Class 37. As @Iskra says, the ploughs just finish the look on the latter loco. The weathering on both engines is really cool especially considering the size of the models.
Thanks guys that’s much appreciated.
It’s getting close now...
Wednesday the 23rd and Thursday 24th
My new class 31 didn’t arrive in time for Christmas unfortunately so I’m missing one out. This is my other Dapol 33 though - 33008 Eastleigh.
It’s a newer model than 33102 and has a next 18 chip in it.
Another old favourite from back in the day...
It’s also been weathered by me and had the pipes added, I’ve cut the NEM socket back on one end so that I could fit the snowploughs behind the pipes, but with this one I filed the ploughs down and removed the centre section as the Southern Region fitted smaller ploughs to the 33s to avoid them hitting the 3rd rail.
I love this model.
Here’s a festive shot of it on my friends snowy layout:
We are aware of an issue with emails from the Forum to Microsoft-based email accounts (hotmail/outlook/live.com email addresses). This is being looked into currently, thanks for your patience meanwhile.