• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Languages spoken by forum members

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Donny Dave

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2005
Messages
5,394
Location
Doncaster
Eastern European shops are likely to be your best bet I'm afraid. It all depends on where you live though as to how many you find and what beer and ales they have in stock.

I'm very lucky in that respect as the part of Scunthorpe I live in has a lot of migrants from Eastern Europe, so there's a fair few shops that have opened to cater for them.
 

Spamcan81

Established Member
Joined
12 Sep 2011
Messages
1,265
Location
Bedfordshire
Can speak both French and German. Not fluent in either but can handle everyday situations reasonably comfortably and can more than hold my own if the conversation turns to railways.
Trips to Cuba, Poland and China taught me how to order beer in those languages. :)
 
Last edited:

leightonbd

Member
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
366
Location
Was Edinburgh (South Sub) but more Strathspey now.
I can speak reasonably fluent Hungarian.

Nagyon jol. En is. Budapesten laktom, 1990-tol 1992-ig.


(Trawled all back through the thread thinking: no one will have put Hungarian. But good to see. Apologies for lack of accents above. May I ask where your Hungarian came from? Mine is 'robust' rather than fluent).
 
Last edited:

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
Ne. Mans "partneris" ir Amerikaniete. Bet tetim bija Latvietis. Esmu dzimis un pieaugijis Anglijā un pirma braukŝana uz Latviju man nesaprot neviena varda Latviski.

Man ļoti patik trolejbusi un Latvieŝu alu un edieni.
Disregarding the obvious 'country' cues, I surprised myself then by managing to understand most of that, despite having never studied any language like it.

Other than English, my main knowledge is in French, which I did to A* at GCSE, so is still useful. I also have studied Spanish to a lesser extent and Latin, which I have found very useful for other languages due to its far reaching influence; I can understand a fair bit of Romainian (reading only) because of this.

Through trips to Wales, especially to strong Welsh-speaking areas such Ceredigion and Gwynedd, I have picked up various words. I decided this year how to attempt to learn how to pronounce the darn words correctly; it then becomes rather amusing when you hear people failing to pronounce names! :lol:
 

coupwotcoup

Member
Joined
29 Jul 2007
Messages
287
French - just enough to get by on trains and in shops/bars.
Spanish - not too bad but get completely frustrated when they start speaking in mixed tongues, ie Catala and Castellano.
(PS, I only go to NE Spain)
 

HowardGWR

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2013
Messages
4,981
I've recently started to read in German. As I am fluent in Dutch (although I am English and only had French O level, I lived in Amsterdam and environs for 15 years), I naturally had a key to some similar vocabulary and idioms, often spelt differently (although watch out for homonyms!). I decide to do what I did when I originally learned Dutch. I began with newspapers (now online of course). It's best to start with a tabloid, to start to get a hang of idiom and simple vocabulary. Then, progress to broadsheet and then to technical articles, in our case rail magazine articles, of course. You still won't be able to converse and neither will you be able to understand the spoken word, but you will be able to get this passive ability to understand notices and so on when travelling. I can now read German newspapers fairly successfully, occasionally pressing the translate button. For instance the Berlin Tagespiegel (Daily Mirror) has most interesting articles about Berlin's history and lots about rail and tram developments there. Berlin is a hive of development since reunification.

Hope that is useful advice.
 

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Joined
20 Aug 2013
Messages
1,604
Location
Bridgeton, Glasgow
I've recently started to read in German. As I am fluent in Dutch (although I am English and only had French O level, I lived in Amsterdam and environs for 15 years), I naturally had a key to some similar vocabulary and idioms, often spelt differently (although watch out for homonyms!). I decide to do what I did when I originally learned Dutch. I began with newspapers (now online of course). It's best to start with a tabloid, to start to get a hang of idiom and simple vocabulary. Then, progress to broadsheet and then to technical articles, in our case rail magazine articles, of course. You still won't be able to converse and neither will you be able to understand the spoken word, but you will be able to get this passive ability to understand notices and so on when travelling. I can now read German newspapers fairly successfully, occasionally pressing the translate button. For instance the Berlin Tagespiegel (Daily Mirror) has most interesting articles about Berlin's history and lots about rail and tram developments there. Berlin is a hive of development since reunification.

Hope that is useful advice.

Ik heb van Nederlandse op middelbare school voor 4 jaar en geplakt met het. Vaker wel dan niet, gewoon mijn woordenschat om vers te houden kijken ik vaak RTL Nieuws en het NOS Journaal. :)
 

coupwotcoup

Member
Joined
29 Jul 2007
Messages
287
Ik heb van Nederlandse op middelbare school voor 4 jaar en geplakt met het. Vaker wel dan niet, gewoon mijn woordenschat om vers te houden kijken ik vaak RTL Nieuws en het NOS Journaal. :)

That's easy enough for you to say......
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top