• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lancashire Day Ranger 5th July

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnepaul

Member
Joined
11 Sep 2012
Messages
192
Location
Carlisle
I left Preston on the slightly delayed but packed 9.58 as far as Wigan. I then made my way to Wigan Wallgate, which I would describe as "severely functional" lol. I caught a 4 car pacer to Southport - a new route for me. Rather straight and flat as I'm sure you all know. I then returned to Bolton.

I then caught a train from Bolton to Clitheroe - another new route for me. I must admit I enjoyed this journey, rather picturesque I must say. I then returned to Bolton by the same route. From Blackburn to Bolton I had the pleasure of a drunk who sat next to me lol. I went on to Salford Crescent, I was surprised at that there was not too much sign of elecrification between Bolton and Salford.

From Salford I went to Wigan Wallgate via Walkden and Atherton, another new route for me. This was a 2 car pacer ( instead of 4 ) and so was standing room only.

So, three new routes for me today. Between Wigan and Bolton, and Salford and Wigan I was struck by how the lines had seen greater days in the past, signs that they were 4 tracked in many places. I will be charitable and say that most of the stations had seen better days!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,855
Location
West of Andover
Agreed that some of those stations have seen better days, and the line did used to be 4-track in places.

The line to Clitheroe is scenic in places :)
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
A nice bit of variety there, and yes as you correctly point out some of the stations could do with some TLC. It's been a long time since it was a 4 track main line through the likes of Walkden, although I can't for love nor money remember who used to run express services that way.

I too was a bit surprised at the lack of equipment installed between Bolton and Salford Crescent, I think it's the other route to Wigan that's got more up so far although I've yet to have a look. The major rebuild at Bolton has no doubt taken higher priority, and once finished that will improve the station most significantly. The removal of whatever out of date cafe was there and replaced by WHSmith and its Coffee House counter was long overdue and a big improvement on its own. I'll quite happily go and do some leaps in and out of Bolton now!

Obviously Ordsall Curve (you might not have seen the work Network Rail are doing as it's a bit further on from Salford Crescent) has also been a priority. Really looking forward to that it must be said.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top