I thought that you might like to know what happened last week during my Lake District trip.
To recap, this was my basic plan, staying in Windermere and taking the following trips
- a day on Lake Windermere, including the Lakeland Motor Museum and the Lakeside & Haverthwaite Railway.
This actually ended up as two trips on Lake Windermere, one for the Museum and one for the Railway. I
thought that I wouldn't have enough time to do both on the same day, which may have been a mistake,
but t did mean that I wasn't rushing around too much on either day.
- A circular trip around the Cumbrian Coast Line from Windermere to Carlisle, stopping off at Ravenglass for a trip on the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway
This worked fine, except that I missed my preferred connection from Ravenglass to Carlisle by just a few
minutes which meant that I had a long wait for the next one - and the pub next to the station was shut!
This was fine - and very interesting.
- A day in Carlisle (I know it isn't in the lakes, but there's some museums there that I want to see!)
This worked out well.
I'm particularly interested in the bus information, especially the prices, which I was having some difficulty in finding, but no longer!
I thought that the bus services were very good, and took a few of them.
When are the Class 37s running on the Cumbrian Coast Line, please? I'll be there in the middle of May - is this too early?
I didn't manage to catch one of the Class 37 hauled services, but I did see 37402 twice - at Barrow and Workington. 68003 "Rapid" (on the front) and 68004 "Astute" (on the rear) took me from Barrow to Ravenglass, and I saw them later on the return journey. I also saw 68033 and 68034 on a nuclear flask train passing through Ravenglass during my "long wait" and there were a couple of others at Sellafield, although I didn't record any numbers.
I'm going to book a "Freedom of the North West - Four in Eight Days" ticket, which I'll use for the following:
- Chester to Windermere (the incoming journey)
- The Cumbrian Coast Line trip
- A return from Windermere to Carlisle
- Windermere to Altrincham (the outgoing journey)
At just over £50 with a Senior Railcard, it's a good deal.
You may have seen a note on my efforts to buy this at Llandudno elsewhere on the Forum, so I'll just say here that I was eventually successful and it was good value.
I'm also going to buy a Freedom of the Lake, Steam Train & Motor Museum ticket from Windermere Lake Cruises, which includes unlimited travel on Lake Windermere, the Lakeland Motor Museum and a trip on the Lakeside & Haverthwaite Railway - this is £30 for an Adult (there are no Concession fares).
Because I took two trips on the lake, I bought two different tickets. One gave unlimited travel on Lake Windermere and entry to the Lakeland Motor Museum, and the other was a return cruise on Lake Windermere and a return trip on the Lakeside & Haverthwaite Railway. For this reason, they cost me more than £30 (about £40-ish, I think), but they were good value for all that.
So, there we are ... a very enjoyable week, and one which has got me thinking about a return visit at some time - hopefully not too far away!
