Roni
Member
Hi,
To the previous part of the series:
Lagoon Express - 66 (50 p.)
railroadforums.com
August 17 2023
Thursday evening walk through Rogotin after the coach journey from Split.
I explored a few spots for the following days, here a view of the canal bridge in the village centre. Sadly, the idyll is disturbed by the main coastal road of the Adriatic D8 (picture taken from the road bridge). No train passed by during daylight.
Luckily, the harbour on Lake Vlaška is hidden behind a hill in a quiet location away from the traffic. My apartment Ćuće was situated on the ground floor with private entrance towards the harbour. The family owning the house was very friendly and picked me up from Ploče coach terminal. Public local traffic did not even run daily in this area.
August 18 2023
I heard at least one freight train during the night. I started to climb 375 ft high Veliki Trovro hill at 5:40 a.m. View from the top towards Ploče port before sunrise.
The place is ready for tourists, but I stayed alone until noon.
Neretva delta panorama.
A little green diesel switcher could be spotted at 7:04 a.m., an ENNA Transport Vossloh G6 0650:
Something blue appeared five minutes later...
Shortly before 7:30: the daily freight towards Bosnia hauled by passenger engine HŽPP 1141-302!
Along the reed belt of Lake Vlaška.
The water polo court of Rogotin harbour still was smooth like a mirror, children had played there the evening before.
Hazy view into Neretva valley, the train just had passed by Rogotin station.
Below Neretva bridge D8.
Towards Banja stop where I would walk to the next day.
After waiting successfully until noon (see previous report part), I rested in the afternoon and walked to Café-Bar-B&B Sagena.
B 1390 Ploče - Sarajevo appeared punctually before 6:30 p.m. The back-most chain of mountains is located across the sea on Pelješac peninsula.
The hill I climbed in the morning to the centre right.
I managed the shot from behind after a quick sprint.
August 19 2023
Next morning, I thought the freight might depart at the same time... the signal showed clear at 7:30 a.m. and at 7:31 the train approached. All passenger and freight services were hauled by 1141-302.
The classic church view.
View towards the station, the main building is hidden behind the branches.
After breakfast, I walked for 2.5 miles through the heat - first past the station, then along Neretva River.
This "tumbin" (culvert) was used on a smuggling route by Partisans in WWII.
B 1391 Sarajevo - Ploče - this time less than an hour late - at an olive grove.
Neretva River to the right.
I shortly stayed at the station - some border patrol officers approached me, Croatia had just joined the Schengen area...
What luck - just as I passed this spot around noon: https://maps.app.goo.gl/uucPomuNB1eZfkjp6 , the class 1141 returned with freight towards Bosnia.
The clouds did not look promising for the afternoon.
Strange architecture of Rogotin station, without stopping passenger traffic for many years.
I waited out some thunderstorms in the apartment after noon, they dissipated in the evening.
The church spot was immediately reached, the train approached within ten minutes in darkness.
Neretva valley after the thunderstorms.
August 20 2023
Morning walk.
I waited until 7:45, but nothing came.
Many lovely spots would be possible with one local EMU service.
Just as I returned to the harbour, the daily morning freight train appeared!
The landlord took me by car to Ploče coach station. The Autotrans -> Arriva -> DB coach arrived at 9:40 a.m. I spent the whole day on it following the coastal road to Rijeka with breaks at Split, Zadar and Karlobag. Traffic jams in the evening caused a one-hour delay. At last, I reached Rijeka at 9:30 p.m. and took a taxi to our hotel "Villa Ariston".
August 22 2023
I had wanted to visit the photo spot near Kastav at the motorway rest stop "Gate to the Adriatic" ("Vrata Jadrana") for years: https://maps.app.goo.gl/mVX2J5xTcB2JUkQv9
The already known taxi driver took me there.
At first, B 483 "Ljubljana" to Rijeka in front of the Istrian peninsula.
B 480 "Opatija" Rijeka - Ljubljana with through cars of MV 1247 "Retro Istria" on to Zalaegerszeg -> IC 959 "Göcsej" to Budapest-Déli. The bridge to Krk island in the background.
It got very close with the sun hiding behind the mountain range.
August 25 2023
A short Flixbus ride took us to Trieste. "MSC Splendida" departing into the sunset.
August 26 2023
ICN 774 from Rome next morning, hauled t&t by two E 403s and shunted to the yard by a class D 245 diesel.
To the previous part of the series:
Lagoon Express - 66 (50 p.)
Lagoon Express - 66 (50 p.)
Hi, To the previous part of the series: Regional Rail Express - 65: Transilvania VIII (50 p.) https://railroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/regional-rail-express-65-transilvania-viii-50-p.22710 Let's divert from the regular route for a summer holiday double special: August 18 2023...
August 17 2023
Thursday evening walk through Rogotin after the coach journey from Split.
I explored a few spots for the following days, here a view of the canal bridge in the village centre. Sadly, the idyll is disturbed by the main coastal road of the Adriatic D8 (picture taken from the road bridge). No train passed by during daylight.
Luckily, the harbour on Lake Vlaška is hidden behind a hill in a quiet location away from the traffic. My apartment Ćuće was situated on the ground floor with private entrance towards the harbour. The family owning the house was very friendly and picked me up from Ploče coach terminal. Public local traffic did not even run daily in this area.
August 18 2023
I heard at least one freight train during the night. I started to climb 375 ft high Veliki Trovro hill at 5:40 a.m. View from the top towards Ploče port before sunrise.
The place is ready for tourists, but I stayed alone until noon.
Neretva delta panorama.
A little green diesel switcher could be spotted at 7:04 a.m., an ENNA Transport Vossloh G6 0650:
Something blue appeared five minutes later...

Shortly before 7:30: the daily freight towards Bosnia hauled by passenger engine HŽPP 1141-302!
Along the reed belt of Lake Vlaška.
The water polo court of Rogotin harbour still was smooth like a mirror, children had played there the evening before.
Hazy view into Neretva valley, the train just had passed by Rogotin station.
Below Neretva bridge D8.
Towards Banja stop where I would walk to the next day.
After waiting successfully until noon (see previous report part), I rested in the afternoon and walked to Café-Bar-B&B Sagena.
B 1390 Ploče - Sarajevo appeared punctually before 6:30 p.m. The back-most chain of mountains is located across the sea on Pelješac peninsula.
The hill I climbed in the morning to the centre right.
I managed the shot from behind after a quick sprint.
August 19 2023
Next morning, I thought the freight might depart at the same time... the signal showed clear at 7:30 a.m. and at 7:31 the train approached. All passenger and freight services were hauled by 1141-302.
The classic church view.
View towards the station, the main building is hidden behind the branches.
After breakfast, I walked for 2.5 miles through the heat - first past the station, then along Neretva River.
This "tumbin" (culvert) was used on a smuggling route by Partisans in WWII.
B 1391 Sarajevo - Ploče - this time less than an hour late - at an olive grove.
Neretva River to the right.
I shortly stayed at the station - some border patrol officers approached me, Croatia had just joined the Schengen area...
What luck - just as I passed this spot around noon: https://maps.app.goo.gl/uucPomuNB1eZfkjp6 , the class 1141 returned with freight towards Bosnia.
The clouds did not look promising for the afternoon.
Strange architecture of Rogotin station, without stopping passenger traffic for many years.
I waited out some thunderstorms in the apartment after noon, they dissipated in the evening.
The church spot was immediately reached, the train approached within ten minutes in darkness.
Neretva valley after the thunderstorms.
August 20 2023
Morning walk.
I waited until 7:45, but nothing came.
Many lovely spots would be possible with one local EMU service.
Just as I returned to the harbour, the daily morning freight train appeared!
The landlord took me by car to Ploče coach station. The Autotrans -> Arriva -> DB coach arrived at 9:40 a.m. I spent the whole day on it following the coastal road to Rijeka with breaks at Split, Zadar and Karlobag. Traffic jams in the evening caused a one-hour delay. At last, I reached Rijeka at 9:30 p.m. and took a taxi to our hotel "Villa Ariston".
August 22 2023
I had wanted to visit the photo spot near Kastav at the motorway rest stop "Gate to the Adriatic" ("Vrata Jadrana") for years: https://maps.app.goo.gl/mVX2J5xTcB2JUkQv9
The already known taxi driver took me there.
At first, B 483 "Ljubljana" to Rijeka in front of the Istrian peninsula.
B 480 "Opatija" Rijeka - Ljubljana with through cars of MV 1247 "Retro Istria" on to Zalaegerszeg -> IC 959 "Göcsej" to Budapest-Déli. The bridge to Krk island in the background.
It got very close with the sun hiding behind the mountain range.
August 25 2023
A short Flixbus ride took us to Trieste. "MSC Splendida" departing into the sunset.
August 26 2023
ICN 774 from Rome next morning, hauled t&t by two E 403s and shunted to the yard by a class D 245 diesel.