I saw an original method of avoiding paying today - man and a woman locked in the toilet for the entire journey. Or is there another explanation?
I saw an original method of avoiding paying today - man and a woman locked in the toilet for the entire journey. Or is there another explanation?
Then I have used all available means to pay the fare.Let's turn this round. What will you do if they don't cash your cheque? Will it then be ok to get away with a free journey? What you have done is admirable, but it really does go beyond what can reasonably be expected. The TOC just has to make some effort to enable collection of the fares due without the passenger having to resort to spending 50p on a stamp. If they have decided that it isn't cost effective for them to do so, then they have in effect given permission for people to take a free ride.
I appreciate that.Seriously, I'm not having a go at what you've done, that was absolutely the right thing to satisfy your conscience, but you have to understand that if the TOC makes no effort whatsoever to collect the fare they have to accept people will ride for free.
I am not trying to say that everyone who doesn't send the money to the TOC is a criminal, I was expressing how I thought cuccir's comments were strange because I wanted to pay the fare for the journey I had taken.Please don't make out every other person who doesn't go to extra-ordinary lengths to pay the fare is a criminal. They are not.
I gave them the details of the trains and the fare should have been paid. I appreciate that others won't do this.If you felt guilty for not making an offer to the TOC, then I would have thought a request for an invoice, providing details of the journey may be appropriate. It's beyond any obligations though IMO.
So it's OK to get away with a free journey then?
I am not trying to say that everyone who doesn't send the money to the TOC is a criminal, I was expressing how I thought cuccir's comments were strange because I wanted to pay the fare for the journey I had taken.
Please appreciate that for many of us who are struggling in this recession, reading your tales of obviously having money to burn is like a slap in the face for us.
Yes, you may of course do what you want and what you feel is right, but don't expect others to approve or agree.
I wouldn't go to those extremes but I don't see why district should be criticised for it - presumably you'd expect to have to pay for a journey so it's not as if you're paying extra.
The fact is that I had used a service and not paid for it. The train is not a 'social service' as should be paid for at all costs.
Some of us would consider that a debate which moves into morality and principles has ascended to that domain, and not descended.. . . .
PS of course there is a wider problem when threads descending into an argument about moral principles, there becomes less and less chance of agreement or people changing their view
. . . .
We call that travelling toilet class.
I once had a case where somebody travelled all the way from Cardiff to London locked in the toilets in 1st class. They were done for a 1st class ticket in London, as they had done their journey in a 1st class carriage!![]()
Love it!![]()
Saw 3 people fit into a Turbostar toilet Gloucester to Cheltenham a couple of months back. Was just hoping that the TM would pass through, but perhaps I was expecting a bit much in 10 minutes! They got away with that one, but who knows, they may not be so lucky the next time :roll:
Please appreciate that for many of us who are struggling in this recession, reading your tales of obviously having money to burn is like a slap in the face for us.
Yes, you may of course do what you want and what you feel is right, but don't expect others to approve or agree.
Was talking to someone once who was travelling on a service between two stations without ticket offices/TVMs, and if their fare wasn't collected on board, they used to give the money to charity.
