• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

KWVR Diesel Gala 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,880
I attended yesterday and had a very enjoyable time. Trains were busy but I was able to get a seat in the front coach of the "Jubilee" set and keep it for most of the day. Plenty of EE thrash and the Western also provided some nice entertainment.

And 50021 "Dave" (on one side only) was my red pen moment of the day.

I assume that Sulzer fans just stayed at home.

My only grumble is that 37250 has again been adorned with a Thornaby depot sticker, rather than Gateshead!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
Well I attended today (Saturday) and a very nice day out it was too. Plenty of English Electric thrash and a Western in totally unfamiliar surroundings was certainly different!

It was much less of an echo of the SVR gala compared to last year. No air-conditioned stock, thankfully, instead there was an air-braked Mark 1 set exhumed from the darkest days of the Johnson government, replete with notices and even partitions in one of the TSOs! The sooner all this rubbish is removed the better.

And boy was it busy!
Not as busy as the regular set - TBH I was glad I wasn't on that, having experienced it once before.
Does 50 021 Rodney really have a Dave nameplate on one side? (ref to OFAH), any photos anywhere?
It did yesterday, but I haven't got a photo.
 

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,880
I was half expecting 50008 to be renamed Del Boy for the weekend!
 

The Prisoner

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2012
Messages
421
“Dave” leaving Damems on Saturday. My photo (Rodney on the other side)
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6476.PNG
    IMG_6476.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 47

kje7812

Member
Joined
1 May 2018
Messages
657
Location
Kidderminster
69009 replaced by 37075 today :(
It failed Saturday evening. I was on the 20.00 from Keighley when it was announced that the 69 had failed at Oxenhope and they were sending 50021 to rescue. I decided to bail and get the train back to York. I gather the delay was up to 90 mins at one point.
 

htafc

Member
Joined
30 Dec 2021
Messages
365
Location
West Yorkshire
Visited on Sunday with a day rover, a grand day out with 9 locos out, though sadly not 69009. Highlights the Western, 2x class 50 and a teddy bear.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20240623_190706586.jpg
    IMG_20240623_190706586.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20240623_114326336.jpg
    IMG_20240623_114326336.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20240623_131207961.jpg
    IMG_20240623_131207961.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 27
Joined
9 Aug 2017
Messages
222
It failed Saturday evening. I was on the 20.00 from Keighley when it was announced that the 69 had failed at Oxenhope and they were sending 50021 to rescue. I decided to bail and get the train back to York. I gather the delay was up to 90 mins at one point.
I was on it at Oxenhope when it failed. Compressor, I believe.

It took about 50 minutes for 50021 to get to Oxenhope for the rescue on a clear line. I was watching on Railcam, and saw it sat in Damems loop for about 20/25 minutes.
 

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,880
From the KWVR X, I see that there were 3221 visitors to the Diesel Gala, putting away 2089 pints of beer between them.

And posting that gen also gives me an excuse to include a phot of 37250 xotGD on the Saturday morning freight/brake van bash:


37250 xotGD.JPG
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
What....the number of visitors attending, or the number of pints drunk? :D
I bolded the pints :)

Visitor income certainly was well above expectations, I gather.

Excuse for photo, I really like Westerns (50 008 leading FYI).
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20240622_130608485.jpg
    IMG_20240622_130608485.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Train Maniac

Member
Joined
28 Sep 2018
Messages
466
From the KWVR X, I see that there were 3221 visitors to the Diesel Gala, putting away 2089 pints of beer between them.

And posting that gen also gives me an excuse to include a phot of 37250 xotGD on the Saturday morning freight/brake van bash:


View attachment 161094
The yellow tinge of the lighting gives it an almost 1990s look!
 

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,880
The yellow tinge of the lighting gives it an almost 1990s look!
Probably a result of my post-processing.

The original shot was badly over-exposed so needed quite a bit of adjustment.

Note to self: Check camera settings at the start of the day, not 3 hours later!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top