• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Krakow to Przemysl this afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntoniC

Member
Joined
28 Dec 2011
Messages
928
Location
Southport
Flying to Krakow this morning with my 84 year old.
We are then catching the train to Przemysl for a few days so I can see where he lived during WW2 and for him to collect his birth certificate so he can apply for his Polish citizenship so he can get a Polish passport to avoid all the queues getting into Europe.
( bonus for me is that I can do the same)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gag Halfrunt

Member
Joined
23 Jul 2019
Messages
1,006
When you're at Przemyśl Główny you should look out for Ukrainian trains, but you probably know that already.

640px-Przemy%C5%9Bl_G%C5%82%C3%B3wny11.jpg



(Photo shows a UZ inter-city EMU at Przemyśl Główny.)
 
Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,947
Location
Mold, Clwyd
Does UZ still manage to run electric trains to Przemysl?
The power network must be under great strain at the moment, from the repeated attacks on the energy system.
I did the trip from Przemysl to Lviv and Kyiv under the wires in 2019, but it's a different world today.
I see UZ has ordered another two tranches of the Hyundai Rotem express EMUs.
I spent a couple of hours between trains exploring Przemysl and thought it looked an attractive town.
 

superalbs

Verified Rep - Superalbs Travels
Joined
3 Jul 2014
Messages
2,863
Location
Kraków
Does UZ still manage to run electric trains to Przemysl?
The power network must be under great strain at the moment, from the repeated attacks on the energy system.
I did the trip from Przemysl to Lviv and Kyiv under the wires in 2019, but it's a different world today.
I see UZ has ordered another two tranches of the Hyundai Rotem express EMUs.
I spent a couple of hours between trains exploring Przemysl and thought it looked an attractive town.
Where did you get that information?
 

nwales58

Established Member
Joined
15 Mar 2022
Messages
1,365
Location
notsure
Where did you get that information?

't usual definitive source of news:

(OT: next article in RGI also tells us the JHMD lines in Czechia are in business again)
 

AntoniC

Member
Joined
28 Dec 2011
Messages
928
Location
Southport
I must admit I wasn't looking for Ukrainian trains by the time I got to Przemysl as I started at Manchester Airport this morning at 06.25 and got to Przemysl at 14.39 on time!.
It cost approx £25.00 for me and my dad to travel first class on loco hauled stock.
 

Cloud Strife

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2014
Messages
2,965
When you're at Przemyśl Główny you should look out for Ukrainian trains, but you probably know that already.

Interestingly, they've started using the border crossing within the international terminal at Przemyśl Główny again. It wasn't being used before the war, as controls were being carried out on the train before departure, but now it's returned to use.
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,947
Location
Mold, Clwyd
Where did you get that information?
From here (Railway Gazette):
UKRAINE: National railway Ukrzaliznytsia is negotiating to buy a further 20 Hyundai Rotem electric trainsets for Intercity+ branded services.
The planned order is valued at around US$450m, including five years of maintenance, It would be financed via a preferential loan from South Korea’s Economic Development Co-operation Fund. This is to be finalised following the Ukrainian parliament’s ratification of an inter-governmental framework agreement on August 21.

Ukrzaliznytsia Chairman Yevhen Lyashchenko said the additional trainsets would enable the launch of new daytime inter-city routes as well as an increase in existing services, increasing capacity by 6 million passengers per year.
The trains would be delivered within 18-24 months of the signing of a final agreement, and Ukrzaliznytsia said Korean manufacturers are considering partial localisation in Ukraine.
 

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Jan 2010
Messages
3,582
Location
Bo'ness, West Lothian
I've recently finished reading a book on the Great Siege of Przemyśl. Very interesting. There is a large monument to the siege at Budapest.
 

AntoniC

Member
Joined
28 Dec 2011
Messages
928
Location
Southport
I found and visited this small but interesting museum detailing the Przemysl forts - its well worth a visit

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

My train back to Krakow this morning (11.19 Przemysl Glowny to Krakow Glowny) has a Swiss Railway Panaromic Coach for 1st class passengers attached.
I am lucky to be seated in it !
 
Last edited:

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,991
Location
Airedale
My train back to Krakow this morning (11.19 Przemysl Glowny to Krakow Glowny) has a Swiss Railway Panaromic Coach for 1st class passengers attached.
I am lucky to be seated in it !
They are hired to Austrian Railways who are short of stock.
 

nwales58

Established Member
Joined
15 Mar 2022
Messages
1,365
Location
notsure
Panoramas of the Semmering are more impressive than of the Silesian coalfields, I did most of it earlier this year.

One set I assume is now stranded shuttling in Poland beyond the catastrophe zone.
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,324
Does UZ still manage to run electric trains to Przemysl?
The power network must be under great strain at the moment, from the repeated attacks on the energy system.
I did the trip from Przemysl to Lviv and Kyiv under the wires in 2019, but it's a different world today.
I see UZ has ordered another two tranches of the Hyundai Rotem express EMUs.
I spent a couple of hours between trains exploring Przemysl and thought it looked an attractive town.
I was tempted to go Przemysl. On the map it looks further from the border than I thought. Not sure how easy it is to cross the border into Ukraine, is there ea town across the border?
 

AntoniC

Member
Joined
28 Dec 2011
Messages
928
Location
Southport
I was tempted to go Przemysl. On the map it looks further from the border than I thought. Not sure how easy it is to cross the border into Ukraine, is there ea town across the border?
There were Ukrainian coaches at Przemysl Station when I left on Thursday.
Przemysl is actually closer to the border than it looks, that's why it helped so many refugees when the war started.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top