• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kinmel Camp Railway in the 1950's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ostrich

Member
Joined
15 Jul 2010
Messages
295
Reading the "Slate from North Wales" thread, I remember holidaying as a child at Kinmel Bay back in the late 1950's and seeing from Foryd Bridge, near Rhyl, the single track of this old industrial line running inland. I believe in those days it connected a quarry (St George's Quarry?) with the wharf at Foryd, and I have a vague memory of seeing a diesel loco hauling a couple of trucks along it. I was wondering if any other forum members recall it or saw it in operation?
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
Joined
22 Apr 2010
Messages
8,344
Don't remember it myself, despite several holidays with family in North Wales. However Industrial Railway Society Handbook for North Wales gives some details. Line from St. Georges Quarry was connected to a former military railway from Foryd Jn to Kinmel Park Military Camp; the camp mostly closed after WW1, and the line to the quarry was operated for a few years by LMSR. The quarry and a kiln were latterly owned by Limestone Products Ltd., and they operated the railway using their own locos from the 1930s until rail traffic ceased in 1965. They had two Avonside 0-6-0ST steam locos, their first diesel loco - a Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0, arrived in 1960 (second hand, previously with B.P. Refinery, Grain, Kent).
There was also a narrow gauge (2 feet) line at the quarry from 1936 to 1958, with a Ruston & Hornsby shunter.
 

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2013
Messages
1,510
Location
Llandudno
Reading the "Slate from North Wales" thread, I remember holidaying as a child at Kinmel Bay back in the late 1950's and seeing from Foryd Bridge, near Rhyl, the single track of this old industrial line running inland. I believe in those days it connected a quarry (St George's Quarry?) with the wharf at Foryd, and I have a vague memory of seeing a diesel loco hauling a couple of trucks along it. I was wondering if any other forum members recall it or saw it in operation?


Below is a map of the branch. If you click on the link below there is some more info about the line.
Hope this helps.



http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/f/foryd2/index.shtml

tt.pngtt.png
 

Ostrich

Member
Joined
15 Jul 2010
Messages
295
That's very interesting - thanks, both! I'm pretty sure it was the diesel I saw, so I must have been slightly out on the year ...
 

Altfish

Member
Joined
16 Oct 2014
Messages
1,065
Location
Altrincham
As a youngster in the early 60's I have vague recollections of the line being in-situ to Foryd Pier as we crossed it on the coast road through Rhyl.
No recollection of seeing any trains on, although some abandoned wagons do come to mind.
 

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2013
Messages
1,510
Location
Llandudno
As a youngster in the early 60's I have vague recollections of the line being in-situ to Foryd Pier as we crossed it on the coast road through Rhyl.
No recollection of seeing any trains on, although some abandoned wagons do come to mind.

The bridge is still double width were the old track used to be as it crosses the river by the blue road bridge at kinmel bay
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top