• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

King's Cross to York ticket pricing oddity

Status
Not open for further replies.

impfreely

Member
Joined
7 Sep 2011
Messages
19
Hello,

I'm in the process of trying to buy tickets for Saturday 18th January for the following:

0811 King's Cross to York (Sunderland) outbound (Grand Central)

2044 (Aberdeen) York to King's Cross inbound (East Coast)

I have 3 passengers with 3 16-25 Railcards.

NRE advertises the outbound journey price as and Advance fare of £18.80, and the inbound journey prices as an Advance fare of £14.25. The cost for both tickets therefore being £33.05.

If I purchase 2 sets of these tickets, it costs £66.10 as expected. However, according to NRE, if I purchase 3 sets, the cost is £117.00. (Screenshots attached)

Any ideas what could cause this? Is there a workaround? If the tickets are purchased separately, does that mean we won't be seated together?

Your advice much appreciated,
Iain
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2014-01-02 at 22.29.44.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-02 at 22.29.44.png
    88.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Screen Shot 2014-01-02 at 22.29.21.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-02 at 22.29.21.png
    96.8 KB · Views: 30
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

causton

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
5,504
Location
Somewhere between WY372 and MV7
It is probably that one 'tier' of advances are sold out. There is only a certain number of tickets at each price for Advances, and you may have found out the number of tickets left for one of your trains is 2!
 

pennine

Member
Joined
8 Aug 2010
Messages
179
Location
Redcar
Hi there!

Personally I've never used the Nation Rail Website when it comes to seraching for fares. Eastcoast website tends to provide more reliable results :)

Hello,

I'm in the process of trying to buy tickets for Saturday 18th January for the following:

0811 King's Cross to York (Sunderland) outbound (Grand Central)

2044 (Aberdeen) York to King's Cross inbound (East Coast)

I have 3 passengers with 3 16-25 Railcards.

NRE advertises the outbound journey price as and Advance fare of £18.80, and the inbound journey prices as an Advance fare of £14.25. The cost for both tickets therefore being £33.05.

If I purchase 2 sets of these tickets, it costs £66.10 as expected. However, according to NRE, if I purchase 3 sets, the cost is £117.00. (Screenshots attached)

Any ideas what could cause this? Is there a workaround? If the tickets are purchased separately, does that mean we won't be seated together?

Your advice much appreciated,
Iain
 

impfreely

Member
Joined
7 Sep 2011
Messages
19
It is probably that one 'tier' of advances are sold out. There is only a certain number of tickets at each price for Advances, and you may have found out the number of tickets left for one of your trains is 2!

I think you may be correct. The cheapest fare now starts at £39 for the same journey that was £33.05 earlier. Best buy the tickets sooner rather than later!
 

tony_mac

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2009
Messages
3,626
Location
Liverpool
If somebody (including you) has added the cheaper tickets to their basket, but didn't buy them, then they will be available again 2 hours later.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
I suspect that the lower price tier (£18.80) may only have two tickets left, so if you ask for three tickets together, it will sell you three tickets at the next available price tier which has a minimum of three tickets left, which is £24.75 in your case.

You need to book the two tickets and one ticket separately to take advantage of the £18.80 tickets. Of course there is no guarantee that you will get seats together in that case.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,424
Location
Yorkshire
The lower priced GC tickets are now either sold out, or in someone's basket.

For a group booking, the website will only sell tickets at the same tier, per journey leg. If you wish to take advantage of lower tiers being available for part of the group you need to add the tickets to your basket separately.

Where did you plan to buy the tickets?

It is cheaper on the EC website. If searching for a group, it is best just to initially search for one person to determine availability. The EC website will warn you 'x seats at this price' if availability is limited. You will also get an online EC discount, in many cases, for EC services. There's also the ability to select your seat.

It is only £5 per single each way in the EC sale, but you would have to take an EC train both ways to get that price.
 

Attachments

  • kgx-yrk-18jan.png
    kgx-yrk-18jan.png
    125.1 KB · Views: 21

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
Its worth pointing out that if the railcard holders also have NUS Extra cards a further discount is available on the Grand Central leg by booking via the CrossCountry website! (EC provide a discount on their advances on their own site so buy those there)
 

impfreely

Member
Joined
7 Sep 2011
Messages
19
The lower priced GC tickets are now either sold out, or in someone's basket.

For a group booking, the website will only sell tickets at the same tier, per journey leg. If you wish to take advantage of lower tiers being available for part of the group you need to add the tickets to your basket separately.

Where did you plan to buy the tickets?

It is cheaper on the EC website. If searching for a group, it is best just to initially search for one person to determine availability. The EC website will warn you 'x seats at this price' if availability is limited. You will also get an online EC discount, in many cases, for EC services. There's also the ability to select your seat.

It is only £5 per single each way in the EC sale, but you would have to take an EC train both ways to get that price.

Invaluable information, thank you. Unforunately I booked last night at the cost of £116, whereas obviously the same journey is available for £30. I've emailed East Coast to see whether I can have a refund, then purchase the tickets at the sale price.

Many thanks.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
It is cheaper on the EC website. If searching for a group, it is best just to initially search for one person to determine availability. The EC website will warn you 'x seats at this price' if availability is limited. You will also get an online EC discount, in many cases, for EC services. There's also the ability to select your seat.

But not if you're booking the last seat(s) at a given price ;)
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,424
Location
Yorkshire
Invaluable information, thank you. Unforunately I booked last night at the cost of £116, whereas obviously the same journey is available for £30. I've emailed East Coast to see whether I can have a refund, then purchase the tickets at the sale price.

Many thanks.
Advance tickets are not refundable unfortunately. I doubt they will agree to this.

It is worth checking our online offers sticky thread (you can subscribe for updates automatically if you like) as the offer was mentioned on here before you booked,
 

impfreely

Member
Joined
7 Sep 2011
Messages
19
Advance tickets are not refundable unfortunately. I doubt they will agree to this.

It is worth checking our online offers sticky thread (you can subscribe for updates automatically if you like) as the offer was mentioned on here before you booked,

Yes, I doubt it'll work! But worth a try, I'll subscribe to that sticky now, thank you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top