• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kings Cross to Heathrow via Picadilly Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTrain

Member
Joined
14 Jan 2024
Messages
8
Location
UK
Can anyone advise if using the Picadilly Line to get from Kings Cross to Heathrow Terminal 2 is a bad idea?

I only ask because I cannot get Google Maps to suggest this route however hard I try. (The Tfl app also seems to avoid this route). Even if I select "Fewer Transfers" it won't suggest this route, even though a quick glance at an Underground map shows that the Picadilly line runs from Kings Cross to Heathrow without the need to change. Is it really such a bad idea? I won't be in too much of a hurry, and will be pulling a carry-on sized wheely case, so I thought I might save some money compared to taking the Heathrow Express.

If I ignore suggestions via the Heathrow Express then Google seems determined to make me take the Elizabeth line. For example, take the Picadilly Line to Holborm, then Central Line to Ealing Broadway, and Elizabeth Line to Heathrow. All suggestions seem to involve at least two changes, which seems complicated compared to just taking the Picadilly Line all the way. What's the problem? Are there fewer trains on the Picadilly Line? Does it take substantially longer?

Any advice appreciated.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,801
Location
UK
When are you travelling?

There are engineering works this weekend which mean the Piccadilly line is closed west of Hammersmith. That's why if you search for departures now, it'll try and put you onto the Elizabeth line. There are replacement buses operating but it's really not a route you'd want to use with suitcases.

On a normal day when there are no engineering works, it's possibly the best option for getting from Kings Cross to Heathrow. It's a bit slower than taking the Heathrow Express like you say, plus it's rather hot and it can get overcrowded during the central London section. But still, it's a direct connection between the two and it's pretty much the cheapest way of getting to Heathrow.
 

Taunton

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
12,328
If everything's running the Piccadilly is still best from Kings Cross, and various other Central London points. The time taken in interchanging onto other routes more than loses any advantage in travel speed.
 

BlueTrain

Member
Joined
14 Jan 2024
Messages
8
Location
UK
When are you travelling?

There are engineering works this weekend which mean the Piccadilly line is closed west of Hammersmith. That's why if you search for departures now, it'll try and put you onto the Elizabeth line. There are replacement buses operating but it's really not a route you'd want to use with suitcases.

On a normal day when there are no engineering works, it's possibly the best option for getting from Kings Cross to Heathrow. It's a bit slower than taking the Heathrow Express like you say, plus it's rather hot and it can get overcrowded during the central London section. But still, it's a direct connection between the two and it's pretty much the cheapest way of getting to Heathrow.
OK. There is a reason. Thanks for that.
I'm travelling in a weeks time. I'll check again on the day and see what Google Maps is suggesting, and may opt for the Elizabeth Line.
 

zero

Established Member
Joined
3 Apr 2011
Messages
1,614
When are you travelling?

There are engineering works this weekend which mean the Piccadilly line is closed west of Hammersmith. That's why if you search for departures now, it'll try and put you onto the Elizabeth line. There are replacement buses operating but it's really not a route you'd want to use with suitcases.

It's closed between Hammersmith and Osterley this weekend and there is a non-stop express replacement bus between the two.

When it is closed all the way to Heathrow, there are usually express replacement coaches from Hammersmith to Heathrow. The last time I had to go this route was many years ago, but when I did it the coach I was on had ample storage for luggage and the journey was faster and more comfortable than the regular tube journey...

However, going only to Osterley and then having to resume on the tube would be a pain.

I'm travelling in a weeks time. I'll check again on the day and see what Google Maps is suggesting, and may opt for the Elizabeth Line.
The Piccadilly line is open all the way from Kings Cross to Heathrow next weekend. Sit towards the back of the train if you need to take the lifts when arriving at Heathrow, or sit towards the front if you can take the escalator.

For the Elizabeth line, you would walk across the road to St Pancras, take Thameslink to Farringdon and connect there to Elizabeth. (I've not checked if there are any closures next weekend.) The direct Piccadilly line train would be far simpler and cheaper, but less comfortable. Overall time taken should not differ much between these options.
 
Last edited:

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2013
Messages
2,054
I'll check again on the day and see what Google Maps is suggesting, and may opt for the Elizabeth Line.
IF the Picc is fully operational then in my single experience, the only advantage that using Elizabeth offers is an extra unneceesary change and more cost. So - not an advantage at all. Maybe it took ~5 minutes less overall. Certainly not enough time to warrant the inconvenience and cost premium. IMO.
 

MarlowDonkey

Established Member
Joined
4 Apr 2013
Messages
1,882
For the Elizabeth line, you would walk across the road to St Pancras, take Thameslink to Farringdon and connect there to Elizabeth.
Or take the Circle/H&C to Paddington, then Elizabeth. You would have to walk across Paddington station.
 

BlueTrain

Member
Joined
14 Jan 2024
Messages
8
Location
UK
It's closed between Hammersmith and Osterley this weekend and there is a non-stop express replacement bus between the two.

When it is closed all the way to Heathrow, there are usually express replacement coaches from Hammersmith to Heathrow. The last time I had to go this route was many years ago, but when I did it the coach I was on had ample storage for luggage and the journey was faster and more comfortable than the regular tube journey...

However, going only to Osterley and then having to resume on the tube would be a pain.


The Piccadilly line is open all the way from Kings Cross to Heathrow next weekend. Sit towards the back of the train if you need to take the lifts when arriving at Heathrow, or sit towards the front if you can take the escalator.

For the Elizabeth line, you would walk across the road to St Pancras, take Thameslink to Farringdon and connect there to Elizabeth. (I've not checked if there are any closures next weekend.) The direct Piccadilly line train would be far simpler and cheaper, but less comfortable. Overall time taken should not differ much between these options.
Just checked again for Saturday the 20th and, what do you know, it suggests the Picadilly Line. It must know about the line closure. Smarter than I thought it was. Would be nice if it explained its reasoning, but I suppose that would just complicate things.
 

ctom_s

Member
Joined
23 Dec 2015
Messages
139
Location
Hornchurch, Essex
Yeah they are pretty smart these days, CityMapper will sometimes highlight if a normally suggested route is disrupted too, and I find it generally better (it's bus time indications are more correct than those on google maps for instance which I never understood)
 

cjw714

Member
Joined
4 Nov 2024
Messages
127
Location
South-East Asia
Or take the Circle/H&C to Paddington, then Elizabeth. You would have to walk across Paddington station.
The main advantage of going via Paddington is there are plenty of places to get food and drink while changing trains.

If you do get the Piccadilly line make sure to get a train going to Terminal 5 as it takes a surprisingly long time for trains to get round the Terminal 4 loop and trains also often sit for a while at Terminal 4. And if you're not rushed for time it's a pleasant 10 or 15 minute walk from Kings Cross to Russell Square which is a good way of avoiding the long underground pedestrian tunnels at Kings Cross St Pancras.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top