• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kings Cross, slowly coming to life!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mailman

Member
Joined
11 Feb 2011
Messages
127
WOW! And I mean WOW! What a difference now most of the scaffolding has been removed and sunlight can get in to the station! The place is so bright and airy now that its almost a pleasure to walk through the station in the mornings :)

So, big thumbs up to the station....such a massive improvement now light can get in to the place. Hate to be the window cleaners :)

Although, having said that...not so convinced those escalators/stairs are going to be able to handle the rush for the more popular services though? They look just far too narrow to get anything other than 2 people side by side down them at the same time.

Apart from that...March couldnt roll around soon enough!

Regards

Mailman
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stats

Member
Joined
27 Sep 2009
Messages
943

cjohnson

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2009
Messages
614
Although, having said that...not so convinced those escalators/stairs are going to be able to handle the rush for the more popular services though? They look just far too narrow to get anything other than 2 people side by side down them at the same time.

Yes I wondered that after seeing them at the weekend - in fact I doubt you could get two people side by side, and a very large case may be a squeeze.
 

mailman

Member
Joined
11 Feb 2011
Messages
127
That's because the main gateline/access to platforms is on the ground floor.

http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/global/pdfs/324kings-cross-foldout-map.pdf

I was thinking initially that it seemed a really good idea to have to completely seperate ways of getting people on and off trains. Using all the existing gates for people to exit and the fly over bridges for people to get to the trains.

Well...thats what I initially thought anyway.

I did work out that you could still enter via the ground level...just seemed to me that the stairs/esclators werent really thought out?

Anyway, thats all besides the point. Kings Cross is turning in to a pleasant station now sunlight can get in :)

Regards

Mailman
 

Captain Chaos

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2011
Messages
840
Won't people still be able to come up in the individual lifts on the platforms? Bit pointless in having barriers if it's really easy not to use them if you ask me.

Having said that though from the photos I have seen it looks very impressive and I cannot wait to get to have a look round next time I am there!
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,128
Location
Redcar
Won't people still be able to come up in the individual lifts on the platforms? Bit pointless in having barriers if it's really easy not to use them if you ask me.

There will be barrier lines to enter the platforms and leave them so I'm not sure what you mean by that?
 

Captain Chaos

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2011
Messages
840
I must be looking at the map wrong. I thought that people exited on the ground floor and entered using the mezzanine floor? Wouldn't this mean people exiting through barriers but entering without using them via the footbridge?
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,128
Location
Redcar
I thought that people exited on the ground floor and entered using the mezzanine floor? Wouldn't this mean people exiting through barriers but entering without using them via the footbridge?

People will be able to enter via the footbridge and also from the new concourse at ground level (all barriered). Whilst exiting the station will be from ground level through the old concourse (again barriered).
 
Joined
21 Oct 2010
Messages
1,040
Location
Leeds
Yep the entrance to platforms via the upper floor will be barriered and i assume there will be some signs at the bottom of the lifts at platform level to indicate no entry.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top