• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kings Cross of the 80s

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulo

Member
Joined
16 Jun 2007
Messages
90
Location
Luton
I have recently been working on a page for my website about kings cross/thameslink and thought it would be a great idea to add some bits about the good old british rail days, has anyone any images of the underground station or the BR station from the 80s. cheers paulo
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
Hi Paulo

Dunno if this will help - but some of the pics will amuse you if not:-
http://www.ukrailarchive.org/lul/rm05-1962-297.PDF

and
http://www.ukrailarchive.org/lul/rm06-1962-393.PDF
both from the Railway Magazine in the 60's, with photos, drawings, maps and lots of description from the time of building and altering the underground at Kings Cross complete with working connections to the main line routes.

Personally, I'm struck by the comments on the rivalry between the TOCs and how there was even less integration between them then than there is now! (eg the Midland Railway who owned St Pancras were opposing the creation of the Metropolitan Railway who wanted an underground route there).
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
That's an excellent article, Yorkie - its exactly what I had been looking for but could't find. I didn't recall the realignments and removal of the track in the eastern tunnel bores being as long ago as 1977! I guess that's just what Paulo was looking for too.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top