• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

King's Cross in the early 1970's

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom73

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2018
Messages
211
In the early 1970's, certainly 1974, there were departures from King's Cross at 01:15 and 04:00 with beautiful red compartment style carriages. But what would have been on the front around 1974 hauling the train. I assume these were basically newspaper/postal trains with two or three passenger carriages attached.
Long shot I know, but if there is anywhere on the web to see a relevant picture, it would be a big thrill for my dad if anyone can provide a link.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2016
Messages
4,416
The 04.00 was to Leeds, arrive about 08.30. It dropped off vans and was only a few coaches long by the time it got to Leeds. There's a picture at Wakefield somewhere...
 

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,222
Location
Stockport
I'm a little baffled by the red livery mentioned as by 1974 any mk1 locomotive hauled passenger stock compartment or otherwise would surely be in blue/grey livery, even the TPO postal vehicles would have worn the same as the Royal Mail red wasn't introduced until quite a few years later. The only other possible variation to these colours would have been if any overall blue GUV type vans were included in the rake. I could imagine the most likely locomotive on the front would have been a class 47, although a 31, 40 or a class 45/46 could also feature on occasion.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,980
Location
Airedale
I'm a little baffled by the red livery mentioned as by 1974 any mk1 locomotive hauled passenger stock compartment or otherwise would surely be in blue/grey livery,

I wonder if the OP or his father has a memory of red moquette (which I am fairly sure was still around), or simply a memory of the Mk 1s in red from a few years earlier which they have conflated with these trains/dates?
 

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,222
Location
Stockport
I wonder if the OP or his father has a memory of red moquette (which I am fairly sure was still around), or simply a memory of the Mk 1s in red from a few years earlier which they have conflated with these trains/dates?

Ah yes that's a good point, it never crossed my mind that he may have the upholstery in mind, regarding the livery I seem to recall there were still a handful of maroon (& green) Mk1s kicking around during 1970 and maybe perhaps just into 1971 also?
 

L+Y

Member
Joined
4 Jul 2011
Messages
502
Ah yes that's a good point, it never crossed my mind that he may have the upholstery in mind, regarding the livery I seem to recall there were still a handful of maroon (& green) Mk1s kicking around during 1970 and maybe perhaps just into 1971 also?

Believe the very last maroon Mk1s stayed in service up until 1975 as an excursion rake from Derby- but yes, photos of the period seem to suggest they were already quite thin on the ground by 1971.
 

delt1c

Established Member
Joined
4 Apr 2008
Messages
2,182
Last Maroon rake I saw was around 74 stabled in siding just before the Tay Bridge. Never seen it is service and it stayed there for a while, possibly withdrawn , but never had the white circle and cross on it. As for upholstery, the Mk1's had several variants and remember the red up until late 70's.
 

randyrippley

Established Member
Joined
21 Feb 2016
Messages
5,382
I saw three near-derelict maroon coaches tacked onto the back of a Peak-hauled NE-SW train at Dawlish on a summer saturday in 1974.
Poor paint, cracked windows, peeling roof felt - but carrying passengers. Dunno where it originated from.
But the point is there were still a handful of maroon coaches around then.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,946
Location
Devon
I saw three near-derelict maroon coaches tacked onto the back of a Peak-hauled NE-SW train at Dawlish on a summer saturday in 1974.
Poor paint, cracked windows, peeling roof felt - but carrying passengers. Dunno where it originated from.
But the point is there were still a handful of maroon coaches around then.
Definitely. I remember a thread about it on here a couple of years back.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top