If it isn't broken don't fix it comes to mind. Doing exactly this to Farnworth tunnel ended up with a large vein of sand collapsing into the tunnel. I also don't understand how you create real estate by opening out a tunnel - there will now be a big cutting instead of flat land?
At Watford you could reduce the height of the cutting between the fast and slow lines, but I don't think there's much room for the edge of the cutting to existing housing on the outer boundary to ease the outer cutting gradients.
Quite, but I was responding to
Because those properties are just asking for trouble. What happens if the tunnel collapses? I'm sure it's very safe and unlikely to happen, but if it ever did....
Better safe than sorry, in my opinion.
and then thinking further ahead... I haven't suggested opening out a tunnel at all in this thread.
If there is a reason to "do something" about Watford tunnel (and I don't think there is, although there was a derailment because of the wet and corroded rail fixings during the war) or the approach cuttings (which might need something doing) then why not think big? I do know that the bores are quite tight and poorly ventilated though, from personal work experience.
So I suggested instead of opening it out with the associated costs of acquiring the properties above, repair/expand the tunnels and then gain land for sale.
Maybe you don't know the areas. Farnworth is surrounded by coal seams, the varied strata associated with them and (probably) a lot of stuff ground up by the ice sheets and then washed down out of the Pennines - and which has filled up earlier valleys or river channels. Which could have been the source of the sand. Not easy to see or guess what is where under the ground in an area like that.
Watford to (almost) Cheddington is solid chalk all the way through the Chiltern ridge. You might remember that the Channel Tunnel engineers chose to follow one of the chalk bands all the way because it was easy to dig and relatively watertight? I don't know what has destabilised the cuttings N of Watford tunnel, maybe they are just too deep and steep-sided, so groundwater comes out and weakens the sides. Anyway, if there is an ongoing problem I was just saying it could be solved by putting the railway inside a protective structure, covering it over and then selling the new land above.