• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Key Smartcard and ticket acceptance on TfL

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJeeves

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Aug 2015
Messages
4,705
Location
Burgess Hill
Checking’s easy - pop to a TVM and try selecting a single/return onto a smartcard, noting the “Smart” prefix before every ticket. This becomes a bit more clear when looking at Brighton to Ashford Intl, where route ANY PERMITTED doesn’t have smart fares because it’s priced by Southeastern (the normal fares can just be fulfilled to ITSO), whilst route VIA EDENB/POLEG does have smart fares because it’s priced by Southern (GTR).
Interesting that GTR then claim that super off-peak London travelcards can't be put on the Key, considering the smart fares exist (and are used for keyGo). I wonder where the limitation is.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alex365Dash

Member
Joined
2 Jul 2019
Messages
725
Location
Sussex
Interesting that GTR then claim that super off-peak London travelcards can't be put on the Key, considering the smart fares exist (and are used for keyGo). I wonder where the limitation is.
Oh, they can’t. I’ve tried, the Smart fares for Super Off-Peak tickets can’t actually be fulfilled onto ITSO.

I think it might be something to do with them being of the Super Off-Peak ticket type specifically, but I might be wrong there…
 

bubieyehyeh

Member
Joined
25 Feb 2016
Messages
380
I tried using the TVM at a GTR station to see if I could buy a day ticket on my key yesterday, but the TVM seem to only offer season tickets, and no day tickets.
 

bubieyehyeh

Member
Joined
25 Feb 2016
Messages
380
Where were you going from and to?
Littlehaven (lvn) to Shepherds Bush (spb).
Selected option to buy on smartcard, scanned my key, and TVM was only offering season tickets, the day ticket button was greyed out, so has day tickets been removed from TVMs?
I could use keygo, but would have to travel between ClaphamJunction (clj) and SPB on southern trains which is somewhat restrictive.
 
Last edited:

MrJeeves

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Aug 2015
Messages
4,705
Location
Burgess Hill
lvn to spb.
Selected option to buy on smartcard, scanned my key, and TVM was only offering season tickets, the day ticket button was greyed out, so has day tickets been removed from TVMs?
I could use keygo, but would have to travel between clj and spb on southern trains which is somewhat restrictive.
There doesn't appear to be a SMART fare for that if you look on brfares.co.uk, which would explain why there's no option for it on the TVM.

Other flows should let you buy day tickets on the Key still.
 

bubieyehyeh

Member
Joined
25 Feb 2016
Messages
380
There did use to be a smart fare, which was on brfares before pandemic. Not tried using key again until yesterday.

However I hadn't selected the destination, it ask what type of ticket first and day ticket wasn't allowed.

So perhaps they have removed all smart fares for ticket from lvn.
 

MrJeeves

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Aug 2015
Messages
4,705
Location
Burgess Hill
There did use to be a smart fare, which was on brfares before pandemic. Not tried using key again until yesterday.

However I hadn't selected the destination, it ask what type of ticket first and day ticket wasn't allowed.

So perhaps they have removed all smart fares for ticket from lvn.
Huh, interesting. I'll try a contact at GTR to see if they can ask about this.

I can see Littlehaven to Burgess Hill Smart fares available, so I don't think it'd be that.
 

MrJeeves

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Aug 2015
Messages
4,705
Location
Burgess Hill
Is that due to cost or limitations of the amount that can be stored in gatelines?
I believe it's the size of the database inside the gates, from previous discussion with GTR.

Though, again, this would all be a non-issue if they didn't use separate SMART fares for ITSO flows...

In my experience, GTR aren't ones to shy away from adding tickets to gates across a wide area from a cost perspective — I had them update every barrier from Haywards Heath to Hove/Brighton, and Lewes to Wivelsfield/Brighton to fix an issue I had. :D
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,770
Is that due to cost or limitations of the amount that can be stored in gatelines?
I was told by GTR that it's a limitation in the logic that prevents them having a second set of off-peak restrictions.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top