I don’t disagree. I just want work on the new trains to start ASAP.Why? CAF will be looking for return on investment fairly quickly - if there is work from other sources which could be started right away then this would be the best way to do that.
I don’t disagree. I just want work on the new trains to start ASAP.Why? CAF will be looking for return on investment fairly quickly - if there is work from other sources which could be started right away then this would be the best way to do that.
First come, first served and all that. I'm sure that delivery deadlines will have been specified when Northern and WMT placed their orders. Politically/economically, getting the factory located in Wales was a success in and of itself.Anyone else find this absurd?? (I trust you’re talking the truth, I just find that the factory is pumping out other TOCs units a bit crap. The welsh franchise should be prioritised at this location.)
I can't blame you for that.I just want work on the new trains to start ASAP.
He knows now, he misread January 2018 as January 2019In fact CAF is up and running producing the 195s. They have been doing so since November. TFW stock starts production August 2020 I believe. After West Midlands.

Work atm is what was previously agreed on before the signing of the TFW contract. It's to support the factories in Spain.Anyone else find this absurd?? (I trust you’re talking the truth, I just find that the factory is pumping out other TOCs units a bit crap. The welsh franchise should be prioritised at this location.)
Work atm is what was previously agreed on before the signing of the TFW contract. It's to support the factories in Spain.
I can 100% agree with you. Was on the "sir Tom jones" train the other day, old and long forgotten now. Fingers crossed CAF can get other contacts finished early so they can start TFW early.Can’t argue against that. May I re phrase my comment? Should work start on the new trains before this planned date??? Wales has been too long forgotten.
Can’t argue against that. May I re phrase my comment? Should work start on the new trains before this planned date??? Wales has been too long forgotten.
Why...? It's *the* CAF UK factory! They're building to order, in order. Northern even told people on their Twitter that most of the 195s will be assembled in Wales. Isn't Welsh product assembly even for other parts of the UK a good thing...? Last I heard the finance wasn't even sorted on the Welsh Civity DMUs...Anyone else find this absurd?? (I trust you’re talking the truth, I just find that the factory is pumping out other TOCs units a bit crap. The welsh franchise should be prioritised at this location.)
I was initially underwhelmed by how quiet they were about it, but really it means they're just cracking on doesn't it!Slightly off topic, but impressed with how quickly CAF have got this factory up and running
Indeed it is good economic news that trains are now being assembled in Wales for use in other parts of the uk as well as eventually for use in Wales.Why...? It's *the* CAF UK factory! They're building to order, in order. Northern even told people on their Twitter that most of the 195s will be assembled in Wales. Isn't Welsh product assembly even for other parts of the UK a good thing...? Last I heard the finance wasn't even sorted on the Welsh Civity DMUs...
The image on the article is just a rough mockup and the whole point of the article is that the interior design work is only just starting now; if you look at WMT's interior design contractor's document for the 196s it has all the paint finishes and seating/flooring materials in it. TfW and CAF are starting on all that stuff nowAlthough I wouldn't recommend light grey seats after seeing the state of the seats on the 800s![]()

All 12 Greater Anglia 170s go off-lease on the 1st of October 2019.Is there a water tight contract for the 170s to arrive in 2019?
With nearly all new rolling stock introductions seeming to take longer than advertised at the moment. I hope Anglia can't delay cascading the 170 s if the Flirts don't work out of the box.
If you're referring to the 170s, they're going to be used mainly on SWML local services (Ebbw, Maesteg, and the like) before going to run West Wales local & HOWL services. Hardly any of those are currently operated by 175s.I really do wonder if the general public will start moaning that proper long distance trains (175’s) with doors at the ends of coaches and good seats, have been replaced with more of a local commuter type of train with doors at thirds (letting in cold air) plus uncomfortable seats?
If you're referring to the 170s, they're going to be used mainly on SWML local services (Ebbw, Maesteg, and the like) before going to run West Wales local & HOWL services. Hardly any of those are currently operated by 175s.
It's a valid point for the new-build Civitys that will be replacing the 175s and 158s on long-distance services, though it's a bit early to declare that they will have uncomfortable seats. I don't think the internal fit-out has been finalised yet.
I really do wonder if the general public will start moaning that proper long distance trains (175’s) with doors at the ends of coaches and good seats, have been replaced with more of a local commuter type of train with doors at thirds (letting in cold air) plus uncomfortable seats?
I don't recall there being comfort issues with 170 seats - I think that may be a more subjective seat complaint than about modern units. If the 196s have the same seating as 195s, however, I imagine such complaints will be far more justified. I wouldn't want to do Manchester to Milford Haven on an ironing board!
Granted, but most services are operated by Pacers and 150s, are they not? A 170 compares favourably to either of those. In many regards, it's effectively a souped-up 150.175s are fairly frequent on there routes and have booked work over them
Me too. I wouldn't rate an 800 as much more suitable for that length of journey than an ironing board seat, I'd consider both inferior to a 170 in terms of comfort, though I'm not sure I could with stand 5 hours of Turbostar panel rattle either. I'm a picky customerWhereas I'd rather that than one of those Class 800 abominations, particularly if the ScotRail-style contoured base cushion is used. It's all very subjective.
Granted, but most services are operated by Pacers and 150s, are they not? A 170 compares favourably to either of those. In many regards, it's effectively a souped-up 150.
(When I took a two-hour journey on a Greater Anglia 170 last year, I found nothing disagreeable about their seats.)
Hm. It seems the diagrams have changed more than I thought since I left the area.Plenty of 158s also, several per day
"real" interior design work on the new TfW CAF DMUs is only just starting around now; see posts 1245 and 1247If you're referring to the 170s, they're going to be used mainly on SWML local services (Ebbw, Maesteg, and the like) before going to run West Wales local & HOWL services. Hardly any of those are currently operated by 175s.
It's a valid point for the new-build Civitys that will be replacing the 175s and 158s on long-distance services, though it's a bit early to declare that they will have uncomfortable seats. I don't think the internal fit-out has been finalised yet.