• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ken Bruce Quits BBC Radio 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

M803UYA

Member
Joined
24 May 2020
Messages
703
Location
Under my stone....
Hoping its Vernon kay who takes over.
Not a fan of Jeremy but radio 2 will have a really strong line up right through until midnight (11pm on Fridays) on weekdays
Either Vernon or OJ for me. I'm going to have a massive hole in my mornings after 31st March. I'm fond of Ken's dry humour. He's the last in the line of Wogan type DJs who practiced dry humour on the airwaves. Much of the current R2 is dumbed down and aimed at the lowest common denominator. Ironically at just under 40 the current output of the station is supposed to appeal to people like me - but it doesn't in the slightest. Aside from the reliable traffic reports little else is on offer for me!

I won't be migrating to GHR as I fundamentally disagree with their MO. Trashing a lot of local radio stations has proved to be an utter waste of time (according to recent RAJAR figures) and has deprived me of a lot of radio choice. This is how they can afford the likes of Ken - by wasting a lot of talent and closing down a lot of stations.

Fine to say 'local radio is dead' but where I live there are two DAB stations set up by former Minster FM and Yorkshire Coast people who broadcast pretty much everything I want. Their capture of most of the old advertisers illustrates why they shouldn't have been made redundant in the first place.

The thing is - Bauer didn't have to trash a load of local stations just to get the FM slots. With Scala they've proved they can establish something brand new and capture a lot of audience. Why not go down that path?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johncrossley

Established Member
Joined
30 Mar 2021
Messages
4,442
Location
London
The thing is - Bauer didn't have to trash a load of local stations just to get the FM slots. With Scala they've proved they can establish something brand new and capture a lot of audience. Why not go down that path?

They make more money doing both. The blame should be aimed at the regulators who let this happen. The IBA was a very strict regulator, arguably too strict, but when that was replaced by the Radio Authority circa 1990 that started the growth of networking. Ofcom is even less strict. The odd thing is, in the US where formats are totally deregulated, they have stronger local radio than in the UK. There is plenty of syndication but they also choose to be local for commercial reasons. One reason might be the strength of national radio in the UK which doesn't exist in the US in the same way. I would prefer regulation to be like in Ireland where proper local radio is still normal.
 

M803UYA

Member
Joined
24 May 2020
Messages
703
Location
Under my stone....
They make more money doing both. The blame should be aimed at the regulators who let this happen. The IBA was a very strict regulator, arguably too strict, but when that was replaced by the Radio Authority circa 1990 that started the growth of networking. Ofcom is even less strict. The odd thing is, in the US where formats are totally deregulated, they have stronger local radio than in the UK. There is plenty of syndication but they also choose to be local for commercial reasons. One reason might be the strength of national radio in the UK which doesn't exist in the US in the same way. I would prefer regulation to be like in Ireland where proper local radio is still normal.
I think my tastes might be unusual. I'm quite happy to listen to 'local adverts' for skip hire companies, but I'm not interested in pile cream or the latest wibble from the Government which pervades national commercial stations.

I'd have considered that BBC local radio would fill some of this breach but this too is being dumbed down and eliminated in favour of regional/national output.

The two local DAB stations which broadcast locally were crowdfunded to cover their startup costs - two and a half years on they're still going.

Whether or not I'll stay with R2 post 31st March I'm not sure. It'll depend on who replaces Ken. It's fairly normal for shows to be replaced by a DJ who hasn't done cover - so the likes of Gary Davies wouldn't be taking on Ken's show or Vernon with Zoe's show. I've enjoyed OJ covering for Steve Wright when he's been in over the last 18 months so would be quite happy if he got the gig.
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,886
I've enjoyed OJ covering for Steve Wright when he's been in over the last 18 months so would be quite happy if he got the gig.
Likewise and I'm fully expecting OJ to get the slot broadcasting from Salford, with features such as Midmorning Mastermind. He's experienced and known to listeners.

Of course, they might pull something totally unexpected and bring back Steve Wright in the slot 'by popular demand'...
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,389
Location
Yorks
I see it's Vernon Kay.

For me it's a good choice as we're guaranteed some 90's classics and he's been very good standing in on the mornings. Hopefully he'll keep up Ken's tradition of a range of music from across the decades.
 

lachlan

Member
Joined
11 Aug 2019
Messages
1,171
I see it's Vernon Kay.

For me it's a good choice as we're guaranteed some 90's classics and he's been very good standing in on the mornings. Hopefully he'll keep up Ken's tradition of a range of music from across the decades.
Used to find him annoying on Radio 1 but that was a long time ago. Will definitely give him another try
 

johntea

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2010
Messages
3,047
I'm going to have a massive hole in my mornings after 31st March.

Your hole has sadly just got bigger as apparently the last show is now next Friday! (3rd March) and then Gary Davies until May when Vernon takes over

I do like Vernon, is it just me that remembers his '1000 Heartbeats' game show on ITV from 2015?! Featuring Paul Farrer from TV theme tune fame (The Chase, The Wheel to name a couple) conducting a live studio string quartet just to help ramp up the heart rate even more :)

The poor contestant who couldn't unscramble 'Limerick' was a particular highlight! (watch as Vernon and the string quartet try to contain their laughter at various points!)

 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
Your hole has sadly just got bigger as apparently the last show is now next Friday! (3rd March) and then Gary Davies until May when Vernon takes over

Apparently the BBC has decided it wants him to leave earlier, as Ken had intended staying until the end of March.

What is even more puzzling is that apparently Vernon Kay isn't going to start his new show until May.

I think there is some internal back stabbing or politics going on that we haven't been told about, because I can't see why the BBC would want to get rid of one of their presenters in this way.

Were the BBC scared that Ken is going to say something awkward to embarrass them whilst on air?

Ken is too professional to do that, but perhaps we will hear more later.


A BBC spokesperson told Express.co.uk: “Ken decided to leave Radio 2 and it’s always been known he’s leaving in March. Returning to Wogan House for a week after a month of broadcasting the Piano Room sessions at Maida Vale provided a natural break. We wish Ken all the best for the future.”
That BBC spokesperson is talking a complete load of <insert slang word for what bears do in the woods>

Sir Terry Wogan must be turning in his grave.

Radio 2 seem to have a death wish, and are doing everything possible to **** off their traditional listener base, including me.<(<(<(<(<(
 
Last edited:

adc82140

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2008
Messages
3,412
The only thing I can think of is that the BBC were not keen on Ken finishing on a Friday there and going straight to GHR the following Monday. The hope is possibly that the listening habit will be broken during that month and people will stick to Radio 2.
 

johncrossley

Established Member
Joined
30 Mar 2021
Messages
4,442
Location
London
Apparently the BBC has decided it wants him to leave earlier, as Ken had intended staying until the end of March.

What is even more puzzling is that apparently Vernon Kay isn't going to start his new show until May.

I think there is some internal back stabbing or politics going on that we haven't been told about, because I can't see why the BBC would want to get rid of one of their presenters in this way.

Were the BBC scared that Ken is going to say something awkward to embarrass them whilst on air?

When presenters resign or are fired, especially on commercial radio, it is generally the norm for them to be put on gardening leave.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,389
Location
Yorks
Apparently the BBC has decided it wants him to leave earlier, as Ken had intended staying until the end of March.

What is even more puzzling is that apparently Vernon Kay isn't going to start his new show until May.

I think there is some internal back stabbing or politics going on that we haven't been told about, because I can't see why the BBC would want to get rid of one of their presenters in this way.

Were the BBC scared that Ken is going to say something awkward to embarrass them whilst on air?

Ken is too professional to do that, but perhaps we will hear more later.



That BBC spokesperson is talking a complete load of <insert slang word for what bears do in the woods>

Sir Terry Wogan must be turning in his grave.

Radio 2 seem to have a death wish, and are doing everything possible to **** off their traditional listener base, including me.<(<(<(<(<(

It sounds like a very shoddy way to treat Ken.

Radio 2 has long needed a management clear out.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

When presenters resign or are fired, especially on commercial radio, it is generally the norm for them to be put on gardening leave.

The BBC should behave better.
 

Jamiescott1

Member
Joined
22 Feb 2019
Messages
1,116
It sounds like a very shoddy way to treat Ken.

Radio 2 has long needed a management clear out.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==



The BBC should behave better.
There is a mass advertising campaign starting in March for his ghr show including a TV advert that Ken has recorded.
If I was the bbc I wouldn't want Ken to remain on air whilst his next destination is being heavily plugged.
 
Last edited:

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,886
I think there is some internal back stabbing or politics going on that we haven't been told about, because I can't see why the BBC would want to get rid of one of their presenters in this way.
It sounds like a very shoddy way to treat Ken.
Greatest Hits haven't exactly been subtle. Their Twitter image is literally a photo of Ken and has been since the announcement. There's going to be a TV advert running the whole of March, while Ken would still have been on the BBC.

They are literally taking the biggest program on Radio 2 including one of Radio 2's most popular features. It's naive for Ken to think he can finish on a Friday, take everything down the road and start up on Monday.

Look at the exit of Chris Evans for the contrast. You knew he was going to Virgin, but there was no publicity until he'd gone. Same with Mayo - he left, and after a suitable interval announced Scala.
 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
The hope is possibly that the listening habit will be broken during that month and people will stick to Radio 2.

There is more chance that Elvis Presley will be found alive on the moon, driving a routemaster bus with Lord Lucan as the conductor, than me sticking to Radio 2 after the way that they have treated one of their most long serving presenters.

Tony Blackburn had better watch his back, as they will be coming for him next.

In memoriam BBC Radio 2.

Born : 30th September 1967
Died : 3rd March 2023.
 

adc82140

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2008
Messages
3,412
There is more chance that Elvis Presley will be found alive on the moon, driving a routemaster bus with Lord Lucan as the conductor, than me sticking to Radio 2 after the way that they have treated one of their most long serving presenters.

Tony Blackburn had better watch his back, as they will be coming for him next.

In memoriam BBC Radio 2.

Born : 30th September 1967
Died : 3rd March 2023.
Same. I will be listening to Ken On GHR, the Radio 2 preset in the car will be overwritten at the end of next week.

Ken Bruce is the gold standard of daytime presenter. I've studied his output carefully in the few years I've been broadcasting (Community radio), not to imitate, but certainly to try and acquire at least some of the skills he has. Met him a couple of times too, and he is a genuinely nice man. What your hear on the radio is what you get.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
the level of headloss in relation to this subject is incredible.

There is more chance that Elvis Presley will be found alive on the moon, driving a routemaster bus with Lord Lucan as the conductor, than me sticking to Radio 2 after the way that they have treated one of their most long serving presenters.

Tony Blackburn had better watch his back, as they will be coming for him next.

In memoriam BBC Radio 2.

Born : 30th September 1967
Died : 3rd March 2023.
Same. I will be listening to Ken On GHR, the Radio 2 preset in the car will be overwritten at the end of next week.
The BBC should behave better.

Lets be clear what has happened here: A bloke has stopped being on radio 2. His show is, in my opinion, dull as ditch water and that pop master things is just zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Bruce is 72. He has had his time. Same with Blackburn.

Want to listen to his stuff: tune to his new station.

Looking forward to Vernon starting. Radio 2 has / is improving massively.
hopefully - lets get rid of all of the old guard and get in people who attract a modern audience. i am radio 2 target audience and I want to hear music I recognise from the 90's presented by people I know or have at least heard of.
 

High Dyke

Established Member
Joined
1 Jan 2013
Messages
5,017
Location
Yellabelly Country
the level of headloss in relation to this subject is incredible.
I agree. I don't listen to radio 2 anymore.
i am radio 2 target audience and I want to hear music I recognise from the 90's presented by people I know or have at least heard of.
I've recently found Totally Radio 90s, an online station from Australia. Little or no chatter. :D

Other ages/genres are available from the group.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,389
Location
Yorks
the level of headloss in relation to this subject is incredible.





Lets be clear what has happened here: A bloke has stopped being on radio 2. His show is, in my opinion, dull as ditch water and that pop master things is just zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Bruce is 72. He has had his time. Same with Blackburn.

Want to listen to his stuff: tune to his new station.


hopefully - lets get rid of all of the old guard and get in people who attract a modern audience. i am radio 2 target audience and I want to hear music I recognise from the 90's presented by people I know or have at least heard of.

Radio 2 is very important.

It must be, as you're already talking about getting rid of the "old guard"
 

nw1

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2013
Messages
9,430
hopefully - lets get rid of all of the old guard and get in people who attract a modern audience. i am radio 2 target audience and I want to hear music I recognise from the 90's presented by people I know or have at least heard of.

Radio 2 is more a station aimed at "mature adults" (over 30-ish) though, so really it should be focusing on anything from the 60s onwards, plus selected current music. If you want a "younger" style of radio presentation, then presumably you opt for Radio 1.

What do we mean by "modern" audience? Under a certain age? If you were born in the third quarter of the 20th century are you not "modern" enough? ;)

I found Ken Bruce ok, though haven't listened for a while. I still listen to Radio 2, and find it OK, though I would say its "peak" for my tastes was probably between around 2010 and 2019. I welcome the addition of 90s dance music to the playlist (something that was missing around 10 years ago) though I would also like to see a retention of music from the late 60s and 70s to keep up the variety. The 80s seems to be "safe", for now.

One change recently (and I've said this before, I think) is that the earlier of the two years on Pick of the Pops is generally one I remember from the time, while before 2020 that was generally not the case. That said, they did 1968 a few weeks ago.

I suppose, overall, I'm midway between the "modernisers" and the "traditionalists".
 
Last edited:

johncrossley

Established Member
Joined
30 Mar 2021
Messages
4,442
Location
London
There was a similarly controversial shift to younger presenters and newer music in the late 90s. But compare the standard 1999 and 2023 schedules and ages on their birthdays in that year:

07:30 Terry Wogan (61)
09:30 Ken Bruce (48)
12:00 Jimmy Young (78)
14:00 Steve Wright (45)
17:00 Richard Allinson (41)/Johnnie Walker (54)

06:30 Zoe Ball (53)
09:30 Vernon Kay (49)
12:00 Jeremy Vine (58)
14:00 Scott Mills (50)
16:00 Sara Cox (49)

None of the main 2023 presenters are under 49 on their birthday this year, whereas three were under that age in 1999.
 
Last edited:

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
Looking forward to Vernon starting. Radio 2 has / is improving massively.

Really? Clearly you haven't listened to Jeremy Vine and his pointless non-issue radio phone-in debates, eg "Should horses be allowed to use public swimming pools - you decide" and so on.

Or Sara Cox and her dull autocue - read delivery and brain-dead 'features' and quizzes. She literally repeats the same words every day, shocking.
 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
Really? Clearly you haven't listened to Jeremy WhVine and his pointless non-issue radio phone-in debates, eg "Should horses be allowed to use public swimming pools - you decide" and so on.

...with misleading statements as well.

Just now, he mentioned that people are "..concerned about the energy price guarantee being withdrawn..", which is a complete load of bunkum, as what is currently happening is that it will go up to £3,000 in April (but watch for the government keeping it at £2,500 in the bufget on March 15th), and then the energy price cap is forecast to fall below the energy price guarantee from July.

EDIT : 28/02/2023

Some more background about the why the ungrateful and spiteful bosses at Radio 2 wanted Ken Bruce to leave a month early.

They became frustrated by the rival station launching a marketing campaign for his show. It leaves a sour taste.'

Well then, you shouldn't have let him go in the first place.


Radio 2 axed Ken Bruce early 'as BBC thought every second he remained on air was free advertising for his new show'​

  • Scottish broadcaster, 72, will host final 9.30am to 12pm Radio 2 show on Friday
  • He had intended to fulfil contract, but said BBC wanted to him to leave earlier
Ken Bruce is leaving his BBC Radio 2 role a month early because the corporation reportedly became 'frustrated' that his shows were 'free advertising' for his next station.

The Scottish broadcaster, 72, will host his final 9.30am to 12pm Radio 2 show on Friday after 31 years before joining Greatest Hits Radio.

Bruce revealed in a tweet last week that he had intended to fulfil the remainder of his contract to the end of March, but said the BBC wanted him to leave earlier.

t comes as a BBC source told The Sun: 'The BBC believe that every second he is on air is just free advertising for his new show on Greatest Hits Radio.

'They became frustrated by the rival station launching a marketing campaign for his show. It leaves a sour taste.'

The decision to replace Bruce has sparked a backlash from loyal listeners, who hit out at the BBC over its treatment of the veteran presenter.

Last week, Bruce tweeted: 'I will be presenting my last show on Radio 2 next Friday.

'I had intended fulfilling my contract until the end of March but the BBC has decided it wants me to leave earlier. Let's enjoy the week ahead!'

Speaking to the Mail, Bruce said he was 'surprised and disappointed' by the decision.

He said: 'I was called in at 12.30 and told that my final show would be a week today and wasn't given any real reason that I understood.

'I'm a little surprised and disappointed.'

Friends say he had given a commitment not to say anything that could embarrass the BBC in the remaining weeks of his contract, making him all the more surprised by the decision to end his show earlier than expected.

An industry insider said that move by the BBC made the broadcaster look 'very ungracious' about Bruce's 'decades of service'.

They said: 'It shows zero respect for Ken and what he has done for Radio 2.'

Vernon Kay was this week announced as his replacement and broke down in tears while talking about his new role.

Fans greeted the news of his replacement with mixed reviews and branded BBC bosses' decision 'classless', but appearing on The Zoe Ball Breakfast Show this morning, Kay paid tribute to his predecessor.

He said: 'My dad is a lorry driver and I said this when I joined Radio 2 and started standing in for Steve Wright, so we've always had Radio 2 on in the background.

'It is part of us, it is in our DNA - Ken Bruce is mid-mornings. You don't think of any other DJ when you think of that slot.

Whatever channel you choose to listen to, whoever is on mid-mornings, it's the Ken Bruce slot. He has made it his own and he is an absolute legend of broadcasting.

'To be asked to step into those big shoes... it was a big deep breath, I'll be honest with you.

'Obviously I am over the moon and so are my parents and Tess and the kids, but it's the Ken Bruce show and the man has raised the bar so high that I'm just so excited to be able to take the reins. I am absolutely over the moon, I really am.'

Bruce is the latest veteran to leave the station, but he insists it is his decision. Last summer Paul O'Grady exited Radio 2 after Steve Wright, 68, Graham Norton, 59, and Simon Mayo, 64, all left and were replaced with a younger line up. Vanessa Feltz, 60, and Craig Charles, 58, have also moved on.
 
Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,389
Location
Yorks
Tuned into Ken's last show today.

Superb as always and an excellent good bye. Particularly nice to hear a bit of Abbey Road :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top