That was the main thing it had going for it. Better than Cameron's, in retrospect, monumentally stupid decision to hold a Brexit referendum which could pass on 50.0000000001% of votes cast.
I think it is very likely Cameron was expecting to have to form another coalition and try to ignore that he'd made that commitment. Though, while this very much isn't a thread to discuss Brexit, I'm not convinced the referendum itself was a poor idea, the issue wasn't going away and needed to be addressed somehow or other.
"Strong and stable government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband" !
Well, yes. History hasn't viewed that tweet kindly!
Cynically, those of us on the left are not going to be put off voting Labour if he's a bit too right wing. We're hoping that once in power, he'll move a bit leftwards.
A single data-point, and I'm not at all sure if I remotely qualify as being on 'the left' anymore, but while I enthusiastically voted Labour in 2017 and 2019 I won't be voting for them in the next election. (I won't be voting Tory either, however).
(As a second data point, my mother is a life-long Labour voter and she's very clear that she won't vote for Labour while Starmer is leader either).
It's not good, but I suppose it's the cynical game he has to play to deal with the UK's ridiculous FPTP electoral system.
I'm not sure that's entirely the case though. Corbyn's almost-election-win in 2017 shows there is a lot of potential vote to be tapped into on the left, who didn't bother voting in 2015 (eg. I voted Green in 2015) and probably won't bother voting for Starmer. The question is whether the floating voters you can gain by tacking rightwards outweigh the potential gains by tacking leftwards, and 2017 appears to show that that's not as a clear-cut a question as conventional wisdom assumes.