• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Just Had End Of Process for Train Manager role

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
4 Aug 2021
Messages
19
Location
Walsall
Can't believe it, i'm shocked that i've missed out on the Train Manager role with XC, just had End Of Process on the Portal, just 3 applications remaining now. Considering I have 17 years railway experience I wonder what the other's have that I haven't. Just hoping I can still get one of the 3 applications remaining.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AgentGemini

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2019
Messages
119
It happens. A friend of mine who's been a conductor for his TOC has had the same. He can't believe it, when he's pretty much already qualified. He's considering quitting the railway industry because he's just so worn down by bad management and little career opportunity plus no chance of side transferring.
 
Joined
4 Aug 2021
Messages
19
Location
Walsall
It happens. A friend of mine who's been a conductor for his TOC has had the same. He can't believe it, when he's pretty much already qualified. He's considering quitting the railway industry because he's just so worn down by bad management and little career opportunity plus no chance of side transferring.
Such a pity when it happens though, and it's the one industry i'm depending upon for my dream job, i'm currently working in warehousing until I can get back into the railway, I left 5 years ago to look after my dying parents full time, now I just want to get back in, but whether I will is a different matter, especially after this rejection, but i'm still keeping my hopes high.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Have you asked for feedback?
No not yet, just saw it today, many of these railway operators don't respond, I asked for updates on 2 previous occasions, no responses, but I may email them again and see if I get any luck.
 

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2019
Messages
1,517
Can't believe it, i'm shocked that i've missed out on the Train Manager role with XC, just had End Of Process on the Portal, just 3 applications remaining now. Considering I have 17 years railway experience I wonder what the other's have that I haven't. Just hoping I can still get one of the 3 applications remaining.

Railwayman

Did you attend an interview for this role?

I wouldn't take it too personally if you have dipped at the paper sift. I've had a few rejections from Cross Country myself over the years, and there have been a couple of those occasions where I haven't even been notified by a formal 'Dear John' e-mail. I have sadly learned the outcome via the dreaded 'End of Process' status on the DB account. I suspect the main issue with most rail industry roles is the sheer volume of candidates applying for these positions which must reach the hundreds for some vacancies.

No not yet, just saw it today, many of these railway operators don't respond, I asked for updates on 2 previous occasions, no responses, but I may email them again and see if I get any luck.

I can relate to this myself - I've had interviews in the past were I have been unsuccessful - I have politely asked for feedback...then nothing! Its almost like they are not interested in you once the job is awarded to someone else. Again don't take it personally - I suspect again its down to HR's being bombed out with applications for other live vacancies and they just don't have time to respond to 'yesterdays' recruitment queries.

Keep your chin up, stay positive and just keep applying for future roles.

CJ
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
I wouldn't get too downhearted... specifically for Crosscountry I am quite sure there have been some major shenanigans within XC recruitment at Cannon House over the years, given comments of a number of their former staff who now work at another operator.

From my experience, they rarely give feedback at most stages, despite it taking just a few seconds to add (reason for unsuccessful) text to a pre-typed email.

One rather good example of the silliness at XC is one of their directors travelling on another firm's services suggesting the guard 'should consider applying for XC'. They didn't realise that the guard had been booted out at the paper sift for many, many years - even for XC's £14K train cleaner job.

If you're in Walsall, try West Mids - not much better, but a far more sensible recruitment department than XC.
 

Scotrail84

On Moderation
Joined
5 Jul 2010
Messages
2,977
Can't believe it, i'm shocked that i've missed out on the Train Manager role with XC, just had End Of Process on the Portal, just 3 applications remaining now. Considering I have 17 years railway experience I wonder what the other's have that I haven't. Just hoping I can still get one of the 3 applications remaining.


There are many examples of current rail staff getting rejected for a job in a different TOC doing the same grade in favour of people off the street. The cynic in me thinks thats so TOC's can mould new starts off the street to tow the company line and sing and dance to their tune instead of taking on so called railway dinosaurs (BR or long served staff) who are very much set in the old school, sometimes better ways. For me personally you can't beat experience when employing new staff but a lot of TOC's seem to favour those who have no railway experience at all. Doesn't make sense imo.

Don't give up, keep applying.
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,015
Location
London
Did you attend an interview for this role?

I wouldn't take it too personally if you have dipped at the paper sift. I've had a few rejections from Cross Country myself over the years, and there have been a couple of those occasions where I haven't even been notified by a formal 'Dear John' e-mail. I have sadly learned the outcome via the dreaded 'End of Process' status on the DB account. I suspect the main issue with most rail industry roles is the sheer volume of candidates applying for these positions which must reach the hundreds for some vacancies.

You can count yourself lucky if you even get "End of Process" on the DB account. I know some have had "Application in process" for months or even years!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top