• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Just got fined on the tram

Status
Not open for further replies.

heath123

New Member
Joined
16 Nov 2024
Messages
2
Location
East Croydon
I got on the tram at East Croydon after swiping my oyster card on the reader. The inspector came round and told me that I hadn’t tapped in and that he would have to fine me. He said that if you swipe it sometimes doesn’t register and you need to hold the card down. I’m really frustrated by this and am hoping to appeal the fine but am wondering if there’s any point in doing this. Do I have a leg to stand on seeing as I have no evidence that I tapped my card?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,168
Location
Wilmslow
Hello and welcome!
Is it a Penalty Fare?
If so, technically it’s not a fine.
Essentially it’s a payment for not tapping in which will be resolved if you pay.
Probably your best course of action, but please provide more information and others may provide more input to help you.
 

heath123

New Member
Joined
16 Nov 2024
Messages
2
Location
East Croydon
Hello and welcome!
Is it a Penalty Fare?
If so, technically it’s not a fine.
Essentially it’s a payment for not tapping in which will be resolved if you pay.
Probably your best course of action, but please provide more information and others may provide more input to help you.
Hi thanks for getting back to me! It is a penalty fare yes. I’ve attached what they handed me. Okay so if I pay it won’t be taken any further? I was hoping to appeal it just because it doesn’t feel fair but if it’s likely to be rejected I won’t bother!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3601.jpeg
    IMG_3601.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3602.jpeg
    IMG_3602.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 100

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,168
Location
Wilmslow
It’s not a fine and there’s no criminal record, it’s just a payment to acknowledge your mistake, generally the advice here is to pay at the discounted rate and ensure it doesn’t happen again. There’s no implication of bad intent, it’s just unfortunate for you.
It definitely won’t be taken further if you pay, yes.
Others might spot a technicality as a basis for an appeal.
 
Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,156
Welcome to the forum!

Have you got an online Oyster account? If so log into it and download your journey history and see if it shows whether you touched in. If it shows you did touch in then I would expect an appeal to succeed.

if you don't have an oline Oyster account then I think you can get a journey history from a ticket machine at an Underground station.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top