ryan125hst
Established Member
Very sadly, it sounds like further KSI PHBT incidents have occurred today. There is an unconfirmed (and I stress unconfirmed) report that a teenager has been hit by a train on a level crossing near Doncaster - a PHBT incident has occurred between Doncaster and Retford for definite at about 2130hrs. I only hope this wasn't caused by someone thinking it was funny to outrun a train, pulling a prank or simply ignoring the dangers, but I don't want to speculate, and we will almost certainly never know. Another incident has taken place near Beckenham Junction, too.
I'm sorry to say that this appears to be correct. One or two of my friends on Facebook have mentioned that someone from Doncaster has died. Upon looking at a tribute page that has been set up for him, it appears that (quoting what people have said on there so may not be accurate) he was "drugged" by his "mates". It "caused him to loose his sight. He ended up on the railway" and "was hit by a train".
I don't know him, but I feel sorry for his friends and family- he was only 15 years old. If the rumours are true, the person/ people involved should be charged for manslaughter.
What people don't realise is that commuting suicide or dangerously messing about near a railway has knock on effects. Firstly, the driver may never be able to drive again as he might be emotionally effected. Then the police, ambulance service etc. have to deal with the body. On top of all of that, you have got the fact that trains are delayed and cancelled as a result, which will surely cost the TOC's thousands (if what I was told when speaking to an ex BR driver trainer in a steam loco at Railfest is correct). It will also delay passengers journeys, which may cause larger problems (they may be sacked from their job if it happens regularly).
It is certainly a big problem at the minute. How many has their been in the last few weeks? I was reading a few months ago that it was almost one a day on the ECML.