Techniquest
Veteran Member
68004 suits me as it's also needed for haulage!
19/10/2016 - Tech's October Fest, Day 3
I wake up 92 minutes early at 0558, so it's a casual bit of final prep and de-rancification. Lots of calculations had to be made too, thanks to some inefficient budgeting. Yes, it will be tight this month, but things can be accommodated. Anyway, I go for breakfast at 0650 having got everything sorted, I must return here next year for a serious clearout in this part of the world!
Yesterday I missed seeing the 60 on Dalston tanks by less than a minute, today I missed seeing the 66 on a GBRf coal train to Greenburn by the same amount of time! 68021 is on the 0422 Crewe Basford Hall to Carlisle New Yard again today, as it had a clear run there was no thrash this time though. It's also less nippy thankfully today, and my first coffee of the day is devoured. I had considered trying my luck with the 0718 to Newcastle, however it was dud so no thanks. Some moves planning followed, and I get a day return to Annan for £5.10. The logic here being it fills a lot of time before my booked train, it was a shack score and there was a chance of a 156 score, noy to mention observing what's on Kingmoor. Pumpkin gets visited for a large coffee and it's to the waiting room. 156437 is already a Super Dud [what bad luck with 21 ScotRail 156s required for haulage! - Ed] on the 0646 Newcastle to Glasgow Central via Dumfries, and all the 68s I hadn't seen lately were all tucked behind other locos. At least it's a shack score at Annan...
I go for an explore during my +39 and there's not a lot to see in Annan, so I walk back to the station, take a seat and get Tech's Mobile Disco going on. First tunes since around 1413 on Day 1, so Raver's Fantasy is most welcome for the ear canals this morning! An update to the requirements memo files was also carried out, which led to the discovery I need 14 not 19 171s, even after adding the 171/2s and 171/4s, so that meant I'm down to just 2,100 requirements!
Oh come on, my luck was shocking today! Super Dud 156439 took me back to Carlisle, so I'm no closer to clearing ScotRail 156s than I was when I left home! Some spotting is then done before I get a coffee from WHSmith [the card machine in Ritazza was still not working! - Ed] before boarding winner 156475 on the 1025 Carlisle to Newcastle. Very pleased with that, and I was glad not to be booked on the next one as the inward working for it was a Bouncing Bomb [aka 142s - Ed]. It's a rather slow run to Hexham, at just under an hour, but we then run fast to Prudhoe which was nice, some proper speed again. My atlas and moves book receive an update, not that it took long as I've done surprisingly few moves. That will change today!
After arriving via the High Level Bridge into required platform 1, I meet the good sir 47403 who has even kindly provided me with a coffee, thanks! It was off to the Metro and after a short wait we join double duds 4026+4044 all the way to winner shack Millfield. Dud 4037 and winner 4066 take us onwards to winner shack Pallion, which also take us back after an 11 minute wait to winner shack Park Lane. Double duds 4009+4070 take us to my final shack out this way, winner shack University (Sunderland). A coffee break was made here before joining double duds 4070+4009 up to Pelaw. Word had been received that some battery locos were due at 1430 here on a RHTT train, so obviously we hope to see it.
After some time, it hasn't produced today so we join double winners 4016+4083 to Heworth to investigate the Northern services. Nothing wanted, and we take winner 4051 and dud 4024 to Hebburn so I can get checked in at base camp and lighten the load in my bag. With all that done, we return to the platforms to get double duds 4024+4051 to Haymarket. We await fellow forum member rg177 to join us, and after his little fail at getting the right train at Monument we then take the walk to St James Park, as I had never seen it before. Huge place, it must be said!
Back on the Metro, we join dud 4031 and winner 4038 to winner shack Chillingham Road. Thanks to 47403's decent pair of binoculars, I score the Grand Central 08 for sight [I must double check its number and add it to my notebook! - Ed] before we join double duds 4024+4051 back to winner shack Manors. We just miss a train going east, so it's a bit of a wait for double duds 4051+4024 yet again, this time we go to winner shack Wallsend. Dud 4069 and winner 4079 take us back west one stop to winner shack Walkergate, and we say farewell to 47403 on this set with very bad wheelflats, as he needs to get back to Gateshead.
An ultra quick connection lands us onto double dud 4063+4042 to winner shack Howdon. The service has started coming apart, as the next Coast-bound train was still in the city centre. Winner 4012 and dud 4008 take us to winner shack Hadrian Road, and double duds 4079+4069 take us to winner shack Meadow Well, where a short wait gets us onto double winners 4010+4033 to winner shack Cullercoats. We can go in either direction now, and we end up leaving the chavs go west while we go over the bridge, now they'd gone, and join double duds 4039+4067 to winner shack Tynemouth. Winner 4090 and dud 4006, 4090 being needed for sight until a few hours previously, take us to winner shack Percy Main.
Just one shack remained for me to score, and double duds 4015+4045 take us there. I part ways now with rg177, as he got a lift home from here. I have a short wait for double duds 4048+4023 on a Longbenton service. I end up bailing at Benton, as I'm convinced the next one to the city centre may be a score. Turns out it was, with dud 4041 and winner for everything 4020 taking me to Central Station. I have enough time here before my next move to get some chocolate doughnuts from Sainsburys, then joining Super Dud 156438 on the 1925 to Carlisle, for a short leap via the High Level Bridge to Metrocentre. With the stomach satisfied for now, having not eaten for almost 8 hours at this point, I discover grim news.
Due to a train fault at Kilmarnock, the Glasgow Central to Newcastle via Dumfries was pined at Dumfries! A unit had been scrambled to restart the service at Carlisle, and it's freezing up here! I eventually get to note what came in from Middlesbrough, and the DMU scrambled into service? Super Dud 156510 [what is it with my luck and ScotRail 156s today?! - Ed] so I flag it for the 2031 Metrocentre to Newcastle, as it was winner 142095 and wow the warmth was super welcome! It was also the first ever time I'd been on a train that called at Dunston. I decide it would be far too late to eat a proper meal by the time I got to Pelaw, so I plump for Burger King instead. The logic being that, since I have to walk to Monument now anyway due to Central Station refurbishment works in the evenings, I can also devour my meal en-route. Wow didn't that go down well!
There's a fair ol' wait here for double duds 4010+4033 to Hebburn, where I make movements quickly with heavy rain starting not long before the B&B. A catch up on the forum with a winner beer, Mordue's Workie Ticket and I agree with 47403 that it's good stuff, and eventually bag preparations are made. The eyes were very heavy by 2300, so it's no surprise that I got to sleep very easily and quickly in this really comfortable bed!
19/10/2016 - Tech's October Fest, Day 3
I wake up 92 minutes early at 0558, so it's a casual bit of final prep and de-rancification. Lots of calculations had to be made too, thanks to some inefficient budgeting. Yes, it will be tight this month, but things can be accommodated. Anyway, I go for breakfast at 0650 having got everything sorted, I must return here next year for a serious clearout in this part of the world!
Yesterday I missed seeing the 60 on Dalston tanks by less than a minute, today I missed seeing the 66 on a GBRf coal train to Greenburn by the same amount of time! 68021 is on the 0422 Crewe Basford Hall to Carlisle New Yard again today, as it had a clear run there was no thrash this time though. It's also less nippy thankfully today, and my first coffee of the day is devoured. I had considered trying my luck with the 0718 to Newcastle, however it was dud so no thanks. Some moves planning followed, and I get a day return to Annan for £5.10. The logic here being it fills a lot of time before my booked train, it was a shack score and there was a chance of a 156 score, noy to mention observing what's on Kingmoor. Pumpkin gets visited for a large coffee and it's to the waiting room. 156437 is already a Super Dud [what bad luck with 21 ScotRail 156s required for haulage! - Ed] on the 0646 Newcastle to Glasgow Central via Dumfries, and all the 68s I hadn't seen lately were all tucked behind other locos. At least it's a shack score at Annan...
I go for an explore during my +39 and there's not a lot to see in Annan, so I walk back to the station, take a seat and get Tech's Mobile Disco going on. First tunes since around 1413 on Day 1, so Raver's Fantasy is most welcome for the ear canals this morning! An update to the requirements memo files was also carried out, which led to the discovery I need 14 not 19 171s, even after adding the 171/2s and 171/4s, so that meant I'm down to just 2,100 requirements!
Oh come on, my luck was shocking today! Super Dud 156439 took me back to Carlisle, so I'm no closer to clearing ScotRail 156s than I was when I left home! Some spotting is then done before I get a coffee from WHSmith [the card machine in Ritazza was still not working! - Ed] before boarding winner 156475 on the 1025 Carlisle to Newcastle. Very pleased with that, and I was glad not to be booked on the next one as the inward working for it was a Bouncing Bomb [aka 142s - Ed]. It's a rather slow run to Hexham, at just under an hour, but we then run fast to Prudhoe which was nice, some proper speed again. My atlas and moves book receive an update, not that it took long as I've done surprisingly few moves. That will change today!
After arriving via the High Level Bridge into required platform 1, I meet the good sir 47403 who has even kindly provided me with a coffee, thanks! It was off to the Metro and after a short wait we join double duds 4026+4044 all the way to winner shack Millfield. Dud 4037 and winner 4066 take us onwards to winner shack Pallion, which also take us back after an 11 minute wait to winner shack Park Lane. Double duds 4009+4070 take us to my final shack out this way, winner shack University (Sunderland). A coffee break was made here before joining double duds 4070+4009 up to Pelaw. Word had been received that some battery locos were due at 1430 here on a RHTT train, so obviously we hope to see it.
After some time, it hasn't produced today so we join double winners 4016+4083 to Heworth to investigate the Northern services. Nothing wanted, and we take winner 4051 and dud 4024 to Hebburn so I can get checked in at base camp and lighten the load in my bag. With all that done, we return to the platforms to get double duds 4024+4051 to Haymarket. We await fellow forum member rg177 to join us, and after his little fail at getting the right train at Monument we then take the walk to St James Park, as I had never seen it before. Huge place, it must be said!
Back on the Metro, we join dud 4031 and winner 4038 to winner shack Chillingham Road. Thanks to 47403's decent pair of binoculars, I score the Grand Central 08 for sight [I must double check its number and add it to my notebook! - Ed] before we join double duds 4024+4051 back to winner shack Manors. We just miss a train going east, so it's a bit of a wait for double duds 4051+4024 yet again, this time we go to winner shack Wallsend. Dud 4069 and winner 4079 take us back west one stop to winner shack Walkergate, and we say farewell to 47403 on this set with very bad wheelflats, as he needs to get back to Gateshead.
An ultra quick connection lands us onto double dud 4063+4042 to winner shack Howdon. The service has started coming apart, as the next Coast-bound train was still in the city centre. Winner 4012 and dud 4008 take us to winner shack Hadrian Road, and double duds 4079+4069 take us to winner shack Meadow Well, where a short wait gets us onto double winners 4010+4033 to winner shack Cullercoats. We can go in either direction now, and we end up leaving the chavs go west while we go over the bridge, now they'd gone, and join double duds 4039+4067 to winner shack Tynemouth. Winner 4090 and dud 4006, 4090 being needed for sight until a few hours previously, take us to winner shack Percy Main.
Just one shack remained for me to score, and double duds 4015+4045 take us there. I part ways now with rg177, as he got a lift home from here. I have a short wait for double duds 4048+4023 on a Longbenton service. I end up bailing at Benton, as I'm convinced the next one to the city centre may be a score. Turns out it was, with dud 4041 and winner for everything 4020 taking me to Central Station. I have enough time here before my next move to get some chocolate doughnuts from Sainsburys, then joining Super Dud 156438 on the 1925 to Carlisle, for a short leap via the High Level Bridge to Metrocentre. With the stomach satisfied for now, having not eaten for almost 8 hours at this point, I discover grim news.
Due to a train fault at Kilmarnock, the Glasgow Central to Newcastle via Dumfries was pined at Dumfries! A unit had been scrambled to restart the service at Carlisle, and it's freezing up here! I eventually get to note what came in from Middlesbrough, and the DMU scrambled into service? Super Dud 156510 [what is it with my luck and ScotRail 156s today?! - Ed] so I flag it for the 2031 Metrocentre to Newcastle, as it was winner 142095 and wow the warmth was super welcome! It was also the first ever time I'd been on a train that called at Dunston. I decide it would be far too late to eat a proper meal by the time I got to Pelaw, so I plump for Burger King instead. The logic being that, since I have to walk to Monument now anyway due to Central Station refurbishment works in the evenings, I can also devour my meal en-route. Wow didn't that go down well!
There's a fair ol' wait here for double duds 4010+4033 to Hebburn, where I make movements quickly with heavy rain starting not long before the B&B. A catch up on the forum with a winner beer, Mordue's Workie Ticket and I agree with 47403 that it's good stuff, and eventually bag preparations are made. The eyes were very heavy by 2300, so it's no surprise that I got to sleep very easily and quickly in this really comfortable bed!
