• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Juliano's World Frenzy/Tech's Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,845
Location
Nowhere Heath
Another cracking read there, and a good choice for Tune of the Day :)

Looking forward to the rest - might wait until there's a few more up and read them in one go, as this report only kept me occupied for half my commute!

Time to endure the remainder of this crowded trip into the big smoke...

You must have a fair ol' commute then good sir! Days 2 and 3 were typed up this morning, so your next commute should be filled entirely, all being well! Here we go:

03/02/2015 – Techniquest’s Gardening, Day 2

I was expecting to have an excellent sleep after such a long day yesterday, alas this was not the case with seemingly everything in the world determined to wake me up. Around 0710 I give up, after less than 6 hours of sleep. De-rancification begins, and that leaves me feeling much better. Some tunes to go with my coffee are deemed mandatory while preparations for Day 2 are completed. I’m off to Subway for breakfast, around a 10 minute walk away on Whitstable Road. The sausage and cheese footlong and a coffee for £3.60 goes down beautifully, and certainly money well spent. Breakfast at the hotel was an extra £6 per night, so straight off the bat I’ve saved £2.40 there. Back at the room, the flask is filled before heading to the station, with a 12 hour day no doubt ahead. There were major delays at Faversham this morning due to signalling issues, some trains being 100+ minutes late, with the 0725 to Cannon Street being observed running at least 95 minutes late. I’m so glad I wasn’t out and about this morning, fair dos. I’m waiting for the 0908 to Dover Priory, which is dud 465931 this morning, and I’m naturally making my way through the crowd to join a motor coach. Two young women sat in front of me were spending their entire journey moaning about their relationships, so when they got off the train at Canterbury East I was glad to get some peace and quiet. Indeed, the entire coach more or less emptied out, and I was wondering if the train was suddenly being terminated! Sure enough though, we’re soon on the way and we encounter snow at Sheperds Well, much to my surprise and of course there are photos to be taken of it. I’m off at the next stop, Kearsney, for the day’s first shack scratch. There’s still 19 to go on the Kent Rover area after this one, a big job ahead. Nothing interesting to note whatsoever here, and so I’m doubly happy when, not am I heading to civilisation, but I’m scoring winner 375823 (dud 375616 on front) to Dover!

There’s not much going on here at all, and when winner 395027 rolls in to take me to winner shack Sandwich I’m very pleased indeed. After all, it’s not that warm in Kent today! The flask is opened again, and the phone receiving some charge to keep me going all day, for this trip as we slowly curve our way out of Dover. The snow returns here, but it’s melting as soon as it lands. I have a +20 here, although this was built up to a +46, as a bridge strike at Broadstairs has caused all manner of delays and cancellations today. Not that the PIS here is very useful, it doesn’t tell you anything about the next train’s expected arrival time, although I would discover that PIS across Kent is varied quite considerably, where it exists, and is not reliable! Dud 395026 is taking me to Martin Mill, where the station’s been so lightly used today since the snow came down the platforms are rather white. I’m now finishing my flask off (to be fair, this was around 1205 by now) during the wait for winner 395007 to take me to Deal. I especially wanted to get Deal in now as there’s a Sainsburys right next door to the station and I’m rather hungry, it being a little over 4 hours since breakfast by now. A £3 meal deal is sourced of a chicken and stuffing sub roll-thingy, Walkers Cheese and Bacon Pops and a bottle of Oasis. Winner 395010 takes me onwards next to Walmer, as RTT tells me I won’t have long to wait for the next train to Ramsgate, good move then I reckon as that’ll clear Dover to Gravesend stations via the coast.

Umm, yeah, not a great move after all, RTT was obviously fed the wrong data as there was no train north now, it had been cancelled. Didn’t come up on the PIS here mind, that would have been useful! It’s time to devour that food now, and there’s nowhere near enough filling in these things compared to the amount of bread in the roll. The crisps are OK but I’m glad I hadn’t bought a multipack of them to try them out, something else I won’t be buying again then! It’s absolutely freezing, but a gloriously sunny day, here and I get my hat out of the bag to try and keep me going. The trip report and NREA are brought back up to date, and eventually after an hour’s waiting here winner 395023 rolls in to take me to Ashford International. Upon boarding, a silent bellow of “Oh mein Lordz, the warmth!” was had, the feeling of heat was immediately obvious and seriously welcome! On the bright side, I’ve scored 5 shacks so far today and got myself 3 winning 395s, not too bad. It’s time next to attack the Maidstone East line’s stations, of which I need 7. That’ll take some doing, that’s for sure. Hollingbourne is my first target, and annoyingly it’s dud 375829 on the 1438 to London Victoria, on I get anyway and it’s time for some tunes. I did the unthinkable during the cold wait here, I bought a coffee from Pumpkin! £2.16 for a mildly warm coffee, but I didn’t have the patience to queue up and complain, how it wasn’t that hot I don’t know!

I score 466005 at Charing for sight, leaving just 375901 and 466019 to see to clear the Southeastern fleet for sight! I start planning moves while festering at Hollingbourne, and 465179 is scored for the trip to Lenham. The school brats here sure are numerous and very annoying, and eventually 465907 and 466005 are in to work west towards London, running rather late. The PIS here is unbelievably unreliable, showing trains that had left ages ago and wouldn’t update to show expected arrival times for anything at all. We all start getting on the train, then the guard decides to announce this train’s being cancelled here, due to a train fault. I overheard a little bit of the conversation she was having with someone else, which suggested it wasn’t a train fault when she said “Oh I hope he’s OK now”. Of course, this could have been unrelated to the train’s situation, but the train was perfectly fine to go back out empty via the crossover to Ashford, and the same pair are noted later too out of service. Who knows I suppose! So it’s staying in the cold for even longer, and thankfully a couple of girls had moved one of the school boys away from the end of the platform. It did look like a concerning situation, certainly I kept an eye on all of them in case something had gone belly up. Thankfully not, but the way these kids play about was enough to make anyone but themselves worried they’d end up on the tracks at just the wrong time.

Winner 375614 is in eventually to save the day and all of us from freezing any more than we already had done, and I’m off to Kemsing next. Maidstone East sees an enormous army of school kids getting on, and good golly gosh they make an absolute hell of a noise all the way to Borough Green and Wrotham! I swear we were never THAT bad when I was at school! I discover I have a +39 here for the next train east, and I’ve got a headache from this cold wind, but nothing to cure it. I knew I should have stocked up on painkillers in Sainsburys earlier! Much looking on RTT reveals a plan of moves that would clear all but one station on this line, Charing. If it all works, of course, will be a miracle, and eventually dud 465238 and winner 466031 arrive to take me forward to Harrietsham. A short wait got me dud 465922 for yet another trip through Maidstone, this time alighting at East Malling. A +9 by the timetable here, which turned into a +16 but winner 377510 on a Bus Stop Bash to Barming was more than welcome, leaving me now with 107 377s to get. The Maidstone East terminating service behind eventually turns up, and much to my extreme disgust it’s double duds 465925 and 466041! Never mind, I’m getting the bay platform in the book at long last, a move I’ve wanted to do for a long time. I finally have time and shops nearby, so I’m off to Morrisons Local to get some ibuprofen and a reduced bacon and cheese turnover. I feel like a traitor coming into here somehow, and am glad to spend just 51p and get out of here. As soon as I’m out of the door I take a dose of ibuprofen and sample the food, it’s not bad to be fair.

Obviously this wouldn’t be all I was having for tea, bearing in mind I had my lunch around 6.5 hours ago at this point and the Wotsits earlier on the way to Harrietsham were not enough. Subway is my saviour, as McDonalds wasn’t going to fill me up enough and I felt too ill to go to Wetherspoon. My usual sub, of course in footlong form, is got and as soon as I start eating it I’m feeling alive again. I considered walking to West station, however once I turned on the GPS on my phone the map revealed I was actually a long way from it, so decided not to do that after all and go to East station. However, on the way there I realised I still had a ton of time before the next Strood-bound train from Barracks, and that would certainly get me back to base camp much quicker than going via Dover. Since I already know the route from East station to Barracks station, it was nice and easy, done in about 10 minutes. I film MPV DR98920 passing through here, which was a required sight, as I finish devouring my tea, and as there’s time to kill still I do a BSB to West station on dud 375303. Super Dud 375307 is on the Strood train, and I position myself on the train ready for the best place to make a quick exit at Strood, knowing a +1 connection was possible if I was lucky. It’s time on this trip to update the trip report and NREA, as well as finish the bacon and cheese turnover, and I just make it onto dud 395029 to Chatham. Why Chatham, when I wanted to go to Faversham? Red Pen Fever had struck when I saw an opportunity to do some other moves, and it’s a change of plan again as I see the 2047 to Victoria is formed of 10 coaches. That simply has to be worth a go!

Not as worth going for as I expected, as it’s double duds 465913 and 465931 on the front with winner 466024 on the back (which I didn’t know of until I got to Rochester), and because it was running 2 minutes late somehow I can’t make the Dover train onwards after all. The next option was to Gillingham (Kent), which was dud 465194 and winner 465172, and I score the crossover into platform 1 as well, bonus! Dud 395026 takes me back to base camp in Faversham, and once there it’s time for a call home. This trip report gets finished off for Day 2, then I update my Baker rail atlas. It’s soon time for some Big Bang Theory, so I get the NREA updated and end the day with the TV again. It’s been a good day really, save for the long festers at Sandwich and Walmer in particular although the other long ones weren’t welcome either! 11 required stations done, with 11 winners and a decent bit of mileage no doubt too!

04/02/2015 – Techniquest’s Gardening, Day 3

Oh dear, oh deary dear! [Chuckle Brothers reference! – Ed] I wake up in the middle of the night sneezing like mad, with coughing and sore throat added in for good measure of course. Yes I have indeed got a cold, no surprise after that horrible weather I’ve been enduring for the last couple of days! I’ve been trying to avoid being ill, and I seriously regret leaving my Day and Night Nurse at home. Up and about still at 0730, a need to de-rancify is certainly high on the priority list and a really hot shower did help a little bit. Preparations for Day 3 are begun in earnest, and of course some tunes are required to help wake me up this morning. It’s off to Tesco eventually, around a 10 minute walk away, and at this point especially I’m glad I was tight fisted with my money in January, otherwise I’d have been skint and not able to do anything for 2 days! I knew weeks ago I’d end up spending a fair bit of money, so cutting back my weekly spending budget into almost half certainly did the trick. A 20-tablet packet of Day Nurse is sourced for £5.25 as there’s no dual packs of Day and Night Nurse in stock. I want Lucozade, so I know full well I’m ill now as I can’t drink it any other time!

Back at base camp, the flask is filled up and it’s off to the station to await the 0908 to Dover, in case it’s a winner. Today it’s not, it’s a dud 465/1 so I hold back and make a few more observations before getting the 0923 to Dover, which was in the hands of dud 375616 and winner 375714 for the trip to Day 3’s first winning shack, Bekesbourne. A good start to the day then, and the footbridge here really needed treatment, it’s terribly icy and I’m glad I wasn’t in a big rush to change platforms! It’s dud 375621 back to Canterbury East, and I head into town with the idea being to head straight to Canterbury West station. However, I’m feeling a little better now so I can face eating food, so I stop off in McDonalds for a bacon roll breakfast. £3.49 lighter and I feel human again, off next to West station. Just as well I stopped off for food as the fester here would have been even longer anyway. I’m waiting for a train that calls at Minster, which isn’t until 1052 and it’s also 7 minutes late. Oh well, never mind, time to update the books and have some coffee. It might be sunny again today, but it’s still horribly cold, so the waiting room was more than welcome! I take a photo of 375810 waiting for access to the Up platform and the signal box above it, and when my train rolls in I’m less than amused that it’s double duds 375702 and 375605, boo!

395024 is filmed passing through Minster during my fester here, and my extreme disgust comes out to play again when I find I’ve got Super Dud 375307 again. Seriously, the amount of times I’ve had this already this week is getting silly! Off I go to score the shack at Sturry, the third winner shack of the day now. The traffic in Sturry is crazy, it took a long time to cross the road to gain access to the Ramsgate platform, in the end I had to brave it and run over when a gap appeared. It’s dud 375710 on the front with winner 375627 on the rear for the trip to Ramsgate, and I’ve now got Ashford to Ramsgate stations all done at last! At this point I decide I’m going to leave Sheperds Well until I make a trip to the East Kent Railway, which will then leave 5 more shacks to get in the book. I end up on dud 395013 to Broadstairs for a prospective leap to see what’s coming back down, but it’s dud 375829 so I continue to Margate with winner 395008, micro-gricing platform 4 as a result. 395008 is on the 1253 to St Pancras via Canterbury West and Ashford International next, and is the first available move out of here, so I go for the crossover as well and jump back on for the trip to Ashford. Once business is taken care of, my phone’s in need of some charge by now, not knowing if I’d get another opportunity to charge it later I figured I’d best take advantage now. It’s coffee time on the way to Ashford, and I’ve never done the route from Ramsgate to Ashford on a 395 so that’s that objective done now. Quite, there isn’t that much track down here which 395s operate on that I haven’t had a 395 over now, I think that’s down to pretty much Strood to Maidstone West and Sandwich to Minster East Junction now.

Next mission now is to get Westenhanger and Sandling in the book to clear the stations from Ashford to Faversham via Dover and the East Kent Coast. Winner 375803 is had to Sandling, and after a short wait it’s onto double winners 375830 and 375624 for the BSB to Westenhanger. Not bad, 3 winning 375s in just under 25 minutes, very happy with that! I’ve wanted to Eurostar spot here for a long time, annoyingly on my way to Sandling two Eurostars went by with no chance of ID’ing them. Quite, it seemed every time I was in Ashford a Eurostar would fly by, again with no chance of ID’ing them! I’ve got something silly like a +44 here, so plenty of time to spot them but I only see one in that time, 373210+373209, on an eastbound working. I was going to film it passing by, but I’d turned my phone off for the first time in 3 days as it was misbehaving. Unfortunately I’d not turned it back on before the Eurostar showed up, oops! I finish off my flask of coffee here, and I’m fairly happy I’ve scored 5 shacks today now. The remaining ones, bar Tunbridge Wells, take some careful planning to do hence some long festers. I take a photo of winner for sight MPV DR98930, and I cannot believe it, but it’s Super Dud 375307 AGAIN for my trip east! I’m bailing at Folkestone Central for a prospective look at what 395 is about 10 minutes behind then for sure. It’s not a pleasant wait either, as it’s very cold! I will still have a +41 before my chosen train anyway at Dover, so I’ll still be off to the pub for a pint before continuing onwards.

Dud 395008 is up next, and since I doubt I’ll get any further opportunity to charge my phone before getting back to base camp tonight, I plug the charger in. 10 minutes is 10 minutes! I hadn’t noticed it in the timetable somehow, but the plan to go to the pub is out of the window for now, as the 1551 to London Victoria isn’t fast to Canterbury East as I thought, instead it calls at all stations to Rochester with exception to Snowdown and Bekesbourne. I check, double check and even triple check my options here, and yes I have a plan for now. Winner 375810 is scored then for the trip to Sheperds Well, as there was no point leaving it not done and fester in Dover for no reason! I still have the same amount of time here anyway, and after getting a photo of the signalbox I finally devour the sandwich I bought for lunch this morning! It went down beautifully, having not eaten for around 6 hours now, then it’s time to update the trip report and NREA. Dud 375702 is up next for the short trip to Snowdown, my final station between Faversham and Dover, indeed the last one to get in East Kent too! 375702 has now joined several 375s in the ranks of Super Dud status, and I see an S reg Olympian on a Stagecoach bus route here to Dover. Phwoar, what a noise! Dud 375710 takes me back to Dover, mission accomplished over here at least. I’ve got, according to the timetable, a +46 as we arrive 3 minutes early for the next 395 to Ashford. I’d been going through RTT and planning my moves carefully, but I hadn’t considered looking beforehand to see what was off Dover in case there was an earlier train. Sure enough, the pub option is banished again as I see the 1727 to Charing Cross, that will sure help me get everything done in a timely fashion!

Even better, it’s winner 375804 for the trip to Ashford, that’ll do nicely. RTT confirms the 1802 to Victoria does indeed call at Charing, and that I have a very reasonable +7 there to come back to Ashford. I’m down to my last 2 stations in the Kent Rover area to get, so it’s getting a bit tense as to whether it’ll all work out or not! We arrive on platform 2 and thankfully the 1802 is from platform 1, no massive rush through the station after all, phew! Winner 465926 is had for the 8 minute journey to Charing, in the motor coach of course. It’s absolutely f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-freezing out here so I’m glad it’s only a short wait for winner 465917 to get me back to Ashford. Mission accomplished on this line now, and my plan is going well so far. I micro-grice the track from the Maidstone East to platform 1 at Ashford, having done it the other way last year (and again tonight!) which was welcome. 375828 is waiting for another 375 to roll in from the east, which was dud 375829 in the end, to form the 1835 to Charing Cross. The join complete, for a few moments the danger music was playing as the guard didn’t re-open the doors for a while to let me and the other passenger on. Thankfully the doors do open up again and we’re off to Tonbridge. 375828 scored, I’m doing well with the 375/8s today! I seem to recall I have a fairly tight connection next for Tunbridge Wells, so it’s a bit of a tense moment but I end up making it with ease.

Much to my extreme delight [I bet you thought I was going to say disgust then! – Ed] I FINALLY finish my 375s for sight, as 375901 is seen leading a pair of 375s towards London! That’s really made my day now, and to top it off even more I end up getting triple winners 466020, 465903 and 465923 for my trip to Tunbridge Wells, result! ALL stations in the Kent Rover area now done, there’s a need to celebrate tonight! Making my evening, and my last few hours on my rover, even better was scoring double winners 375802 and 375602 for the trip back to Tonbridge, absolutely brilliant! I’ve got ages until the train to Strood, so I go off in search of food. The Quarry chippy is found, and a small portion of chips is all I have the change for, and fair games I had a good portion for £1.50, well recommended as a place to return to when I’m next down here. I pop into Lidl next for some supplies, including some Carlsberg Export to celebrate an amazing trip so far, full of great results. £5.12 later I was leaving for the station, noting that I only had 18 minutes left before my train now. That time flew by, that’s for sure!
The Dover train produces a pair of duds, 375817 and 375804, so I flag doing the leap to Paddock Wood on it after all, making my way back to platform 1 for the 2034 to Strood. This turned out to be a good call, as it was winner 375301. So my last 3 moves had a total of 6 winners on them, not bad whatsoever! Off we go on time and it’s time to again update the trip report and NREA, which took until East Farleigh to do surprisingly! A count reveals I’m now down to 40 required 375s, meaning I’ve scored 19 375s this week, not a bad result whatsoever. 2 of the tinnies are enjoyed on the trip to Strood, where I only just make it onto winner 395009 for the trip back to base camp. A count tells me I’m now down to just 8 required 395s, meaning I’ve scored 6 of them this week, not bad at all! Back at base camp, a call home is made, and for some reason I can’t get the TV to work, so no Big Bang Theory tonight. I go on the forum for a bit instead, and just after 2300 I’m falling asleep, so I abandon the thread I was reading for now, chuck everything onto the floor and hit the hay.

I hope that lot keeps you all busy on your commutes for at least one way ;) Days 4-6 will be here eventually, I've been busy getting up to date on TV and YouTube today since earlier. I sure needed a break after smashing the keyboard apart (not literally!) typing up two days of trip reports! I'm currently engaged now with updating my RailMiles, fair games I did do a fair bit all in on Day 1, over 300 miles! :D Time to carry on now with some more journeys, it does however look like there's a chance I'll be up to date by this time next Monday! :D

In the meantime, enjoy the above!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,845
Location
Nowhere Heath
Smashing read there Tech! You certainly got through a fair bit of stuff in Kent. Can't wait to read what happened on the Toon though!

Sure did, and I'm still well pleased I only have to find one more 466 to clear the Southeastern fleet for sight now :D Days 4-6 are on the way, or at least they will be soon. I've got one more thread I want to catch up on, then grab something to eat then carry on. I might have Day 4 done later, with Days 5 and 6 to come when I type them up on my commute this week.

Which reminds me, it's back to reality in the morning :cry:
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Sounds like the first 3 days were brilliant, and I hope that the other 3 were too! Looking forward to reading the next few days of it.
 

Cletus

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2010
Messages
2,399
Location
Dover
Glad to see you had a good time here in Kent.

And now I know who I caught my cold from last week! :lol:
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,845
Location
Nowhere Heath
Well after much distraction from Car Crash Britain on the TV, I've done Day 4 as well now. Time to take a well earned break from the laptop after posting this one!

05/02/2015 – Techniquest’s On The Toon, Day 1

As I’m off to Newcastle today, it’s a change of trip title! I’m up and about at 0700 when the alarm goes off, there’s no time to mess about today as I’ve mandatory moves ahead of me later. De-rancification and preparations for departure still takes longer than I would like it to, 0756 to be precise. If I’d been a little quicker I could have seen what was on the Blackfriars service (0803 I think), oh well never mind! I have to almost fight my way through the army of school-goers going in the opposite direction, and it’s still a bit nippy today. Much to my delight, the 0821 to London Victoria is in the hands of winner 375707, an excellent start to the day! I micro-grice Newington Up Loop, and I consider swapping trains to get to Charing Cross, however the 0854 Gillingham (Kent) to London Charing Cross is in the hands of double duds 466041 and 465237, no thanks I’m staying on board then! I see the new station for Rochester, probably around ¼ mile away, maybe even ½ mile away is coming on well fair dos. If Thanet Parkway gets the go-ahead (due to be between Minster and Ramsgate) I’ll have to come back one day for that one too. Rather pleased still that I’m leaving the Southeastern network with just 466019 to see in the entire fleet, although of course I keep looking out for it just in case! They do work in London as well as Kent so I’ve always got a chance next month when I’m in London of seeing it. We’re non-stop to Bromley South from Rochester, so glad I haven’t got to suffer the horribly long journey that it is when you stop everywhere. I have a feeling that I’ll be seeing a lot more of Bromley South in the coming years with leaps to/from Victoria being a big feature of London trips! The problems with electricity supply in the Brixton area seem to be over now, although it’s still causing delays and service alterations for a while yet. We arrive into London just one minute late, with a very full train, at 0937 and I’m off to the District/Circle lines.

I didn’t check my book for winners on the Tube as I went, deciding to leave it as a pleasant surprise when I did look them up later on. It turned out that I did well, with 6 winning D stock sets, 2 winning S8 half-sets and 6 winning S7 half-sets! Two shacks scored too at St James Park and Mansion House, the primary reason for doing the sub-surface lines for a change. I start my Tube mission with double duds 21390 and 21389 for the BSB to St James Park, which are followed by double winners 7125 and 7110 to Temple. Reason for alighting here was not to score a shack, but because the following train was advertised as terminating at Mansion House, so the opportunity to micro-grice the central platform could not be denied! Double winners 7009 and 7118 take me there to score the shack, but instead of terminating they actually carry on to Upminster. Oh, well, never mind. It’s onwards and upwards to Tower Hill’s central platform though, a required micro-grice, with double winners 7091 and 7036. It’s over the bridge and almost immediately onto double winners 21408 and 21407 around to Liverpool Street. It’s a 6 minute wait here for double winners 21343 and 21344 for the leap to Moorgate, where I originally alighted to score the bay platforms, however double winners 21380 and 21379 roll in and I take them to Farringdon. I still need 377/5s for sight so figured I might be in with a shot of seeing some here, not in the short time before double winners 21112 and 21111 roll in to take me to Kings Cross St Pancras though. I’d have happily carried on, as I was rather enjoying the 53 minutes I’d spent on the Tube, but for one, I needed a PNB and for two, I really needed to get some food in me as I hadn’t eaten yet today.

McDonalds is visited for food, my usual meal is sourced for £4.99 and goes down a right royal storm. PNB also dealt with, I still have over an hour to kill. So I get onto the forum to finish the thread from last night as well as a catch up on Twitter. A while later I have to do something I hate doing, paying 30p for the facilities at Kings Cross, once I actually find them! Fortunately I had change with me, which is a little unusual as I rarely carry cash of any variety on me. Before long it’s time to head to platform 7 and find out what’s on the 1130 to Newcastle. 67016 is the Kings Cross Thunderbird today, and I score 7 MK4s for sight. It’s time to start cracking with the bookwork and bang some tunes on. I’m gutted that it’s dud 91130 though. I see the new platforms at Peterborough for the first time, one day they’ll be micro-griced but I have no idea when. Also in Peterborough, I see 3 GBRf 66s. 66764 is scored for sight, 66702 was dud and the other one was hiding behind 66702 annoyingly. Still, at least I’ve got one of them! 60087 is seen on EWS tankers at Grantham, and by 1336 I’m finishing my flask of coffee, not bad considering it was made 6 hours ago. I also scored a few LU sets for sight this morning, and a MK4 at Newark Northgate, not doing too bad on that front then today. My coffee had gone a bit rancid, and I end up traipsing down to the buffet car to get a decent coffee going on, and to enjoy my last ever East Coast buffet experience. £2.35 lighter, and I had toyed with a Yorkshire Tea instead, but hey ho. I know there’s still a chance I’ll end up on an East Coast working or two tomorrow, but just in case I’m classing this as my last ever East Coast journey, certainly will be my last ever long-distance one.

The 1235 Kings Cross to Newcastle had arrived in Doncaster by the time we were leaving, and I see the remains of the 460s being converted into 458/5s. Colton Junction indicates I’ve definitely arrived in the North now, and upon arrival at York I see 37606 on snowplough duties, finally seen it! Another MK4 is scored here, and going through my ST Publications book I see it and the NREA do not agree with each other in places. Some of it has been fixed now but I still need to have a major sort through, I can only assume stuff was incorrectly done when rushing through my 2014 NREA a while ago. Still, not happy about the omissions! Newcastle is finally reached at 1538, 4 minutes early, and a couple of mandatory photos are taken before having a well-needed stretch of legs. It’s then straight off to the Metro, and I could have sworn a Zones A B and C DaySaver was £3.70 not £4.60, but it was needed so I’m off for a BSB to Monument with double winners 4059 and 4024. Of course, there’s a long wait at Monument and the PIS there doesn’t tell you when a train’s coming until it’s almost at the platform, which is ridiculously unhelpful! Double winners 4030 and 4053 take me to North Shields, which means I’ve finally got the track between Byker and North Shields covered, completing the Tyne and Wear Metro network! Next up were double winners 4056 and 4014 back to Monument, and it’s straight off on unrefurbished pair of Metro units 4025 and 4085. Nothing but winners so far, and as this pair are off to South Hylton I need to change at Pelaw. 4030 and 4053 are back from earlier, never mind it’s just a short leap from here to Hebburn, which is a winner shack too.

Reason for coming here so early is that I hadn’t realised at the booking phase that check-in was by 1800, so I’m glad I didn’t book a later train! The bed and breakfast is only around 8 minutes’ walk away and check in is completed in no time. I’ve got a very modern place and I’m very impressed for £30 a night. Cooked breakfast was £6 extra per night, £3 extra per night for cereal and toast. Not for me thanks. Once the notebook and NREA are updated, it’s back out onto the Metro for a few hours, and I feel better for dumping my bags off! Double duds 4081 and 4089 take me to Gateshead where I score the shack and was going to the local Wetherspoon as it’s Curry Club night. However, in my local Spoons it’s £4.99, here it’s £6.65 which my budget won’t stretch to tonight. So I march back out and go to the Subway which I went past earlier. My usual sub in footlong version and a drink for £5 will do just fine! Dud 4022 and winner 4019 take me to winner shack Fawdon while I devour my tea, with dud 4042 and winner 4023 taking me back east to Regent Centre for winner 4070 and dud 4064 to Kingston Park. Dud 4041 and winner 4015 are up next to take me to Wansbeck Road, with winner 4065 and dud 4060 cart me off to Callerton Parkway. My last shack up here on the South Gosforth to Newcastle Airport section of the Metro network, Bank Foot is next with double winners 4082 and 4087. 4060 and 4065 are back to cart me off into town again, alighting at Haymarket (Newcastle!) which I say is the nicest station on the Metro network, with North Shields not far behind it. The PIS here is the most advanced on the network too, it really needs to be rolled out across the network. Double winners 4063 and 4007 take me onwards towards South Shields.

You might think I was done for the day now, ha ha, no chance as I was on a roll! Next up is Simonside, and I’m still considering not doing a Tyne and Tees Day Ranger tomorrow after all. Instead I’d do a day on the Metro coupled with a trip to the very top of Northern’s empire, Chathill. That’s a decision that has to wait until the morning. 4081 and 4089 are back again to take me west to Bede, for double winners 4018 and 4004 to Chichester (Tyneside!), and they’re back before I know it to take me to Tyne Dock. That just leaves Jarrow to get in between Airport and South Shields, that one can be done in the morning. The clientele around these parts are less than pleasant, so I happily jump on double duds 4056 and 4014 to Hebburn, having spent 3 hours and 42 minutes on the Metro network since I came back from the B&B. That time flew by, fair dos! Back in my room, it’s time to get the books updated, as well as this trip report. That takes until about 2300, when it’s time to watch tonight’s Big Bang Theory, I need my fix! A grand total of 34 winners and 14 required shacks today, not a bad result whatsoever! I still need 40 Metro units for haulage up up, with 16 more to see yet. These numbers will hopefully change significantly tomorrow!
 

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
Sounds like you had a great time despite not being 100%. Nothing worse but you just keep going. Good going on the station front.
 

user15681

Established Member
Joined
3 Jun 2012
Messages
1,354
Interesting trip report as always. I was on 375707 to Victoria on Thursday morning (0821 from Fav, I got on at Rochester in first carriage), small world eh!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,845
Location
Nowhere Heath
Interesting trip report as always. I was on 375707 to Victoria on Thursday morning (0821 from Fav, I got on at Rochester in first carriage), small world eh!

Came so close to meeting a fellow forum member! I was also in the front coach, right at the back of it on the right hand side in the direction of travel. Good chance you'll have come right past me at some point!

EDIT: Thanks all for the comments thus far, I've just finished inputting the journeys into RailMiles, and I have a lot that I haven't got figures for yet. Anyone willing to help fill in the gaps is welcome, in particular I need Marton to James Cook and James Cook to Gypsy Lane mileages.

http://techniquest.railmiles.org/ - My RailMiles page if you're interested!
 
Last edited:

user15681

Established Member
Joined
3 Jun 2012
Messages
1,354
Came so close to meeting a fellow forum member! I was also in the front coach, right at the back of it on the right hand side in the direction of travel. Good chance you'll have come right past me at some point!

No way, I was right at the back but on the left! I must have sat feet away for the whole journey, and I've got a feeling I know who you are now. I wouldn't have had a clue who to look for, nor did I think to look at the time, in my defence!
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,758
Location
Up North
Reason for Platform 3 at Monument not showing Coast bound departures until they're due is that they don't get activated in the system until the train leaves its origin station which happens to be St James, a mere 22 chains away.

Sounds like a great first day in our fine city :)
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,845
Location
Nowhere Heath
No way, I was right at the back but on the left! I must have sat feet away for the whole journey, and I've got a feeling I know who you are now. I wouldn't have had a clue who to look for, nor did I think to look at the time, in my defence!

Small world indeed then! Were you the guy with a McDonalds hot drink, or am I getting confused with someone else? Was next to the window, facing the front if that helps. I'll have been more obvious with my many railway books :lol:

I never considered looking out for forum members to be honest either!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Reason for Platform 3 at Monument not showing Coast bound departures until they're due is that they don't get activated in the system until the train leaves its origin station which happens to be St James, a mere 22 chains away.

Sounds like a great first day in our fine city :)

Ah yeah, I always forget about that. It still irritates me though!
 

37038

Member
Joined
11 Apr 2014
Messages
701
EDIT: Thanks all for the comments thus far, I've just finished inputting the journeys into RailMiles, and I have a lot that I haven't got figures for yet. Anyone willing to help fill in the gaps is welcome, in particular I need Marton to James Cook and James Cook to Gypsy Lane mileages.

http://techniquest.railmiles.org/ - My RailMiles page if you're interested!

PM sent sir
 

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2012
Messages
2,131
Location
Rochdale
http://techniquest.railmiles.org/ - My RailMiles page if you're interested!

Just had a peek at RailMiles. Looks good, might have a dabble on this app.

One thing, though - you appear to have travelled from Birmingham Snow Hill to St Paul's (LUL) and back on Birmingham trams, and via some sort of 31 chain wormhole in the space/time continuum! If this is the case, maybe HS2's route needs to be rethought! :)

***

An enjoyable write up - as usual - of your latest travels. I must really get off my backside and have a trip out soon...
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,845
Location
Nowhere Heath
Temple:2071496 said:
Were you the guy with a McDonalds hot drink, or am I getting confused with someone else?

That wasn't me, but I was the guy opposite him!

Crikey, we were almost sat next to each other! Unfortunately I can't remember what you look like to keep an eye out next time, I was rather busy enjoying the final part of the Southeastern portion of my trip!

37038: PM received this morning and replied, will reply more fully tonight all being well.

I'm back to reality and it's back to work today, 9 days off flew by :( I had an amazing time at least, which I should imagine this trip report is showing. One month and 16 days until my next time off, just 5 days off this time. Of course, that plan has been planned for a while already, and I'll go onto that detail nearer the time. In the meantime, let's fire away with Day 5!

06/02/2015 - Techniquest's On The Toon, Day 2

For some reason it took a while to get to sleep last night, but a most comfortable sleep was had and it's up with the alarm at 0700. No time to hang about, de-rancification and preparations all done around 0730, then it's off to the Asda on the walking route to the Metro station. Pop, lunch and some milk to make coffee later sourced, at the station I get my Zone B DaySaver for £2.70. My first shack scratch of the day is Jarrow, double winners 4068 and 4073 getting me there. It's not long before double winners 4013 and 4047 roll in, but then announcements begin...

A train has failed at Felling, with the service suspended between Heworth and Gateshead. 15 minutes later, standing in cramped conditions, we move off to Hebburn. 15 minutes more stopped here and more cramped than before, with the driver informing us we're still in a queue to get to Heworth, we finally get moving and arrive at Pelaw. I assume that the sidings here are not normally fairly full at 0844 in the morning, but at least I score a couple of Metro units for sight as a result. 0844 we reach Pelaw at, taking 23 minutes from departure at Jarrow to make a journey normally about 6 minutes in duration.

I'm glad to get some fresh air now, and to have room to make a coffee at last! My next objective was to shack scratch the rest of the stations in Zone B on this side of the river, so it's off to East Boldon with double winners 4006 and 4062 [you can tell I needed a lot - 59 to be precise! - of Metro units before I came up here this week! - Ed], before returning west to Brockley Whins on double duds 4087 and 4082. I need to get my run on [not recommended when you're not that fit! - Ed] here to make the next eastbound train to Seaburn (the limit of Zone B on this line) with double duds 4041 and 4015. Getting my run on again at Seaburn to head back west to Fellgate was needed and I get double duds 4039 and 4044 for my troubles.

That cleared Airport to Sunderland (having done Stadium of Light and St Peters back in 2009) now, not bad and 22 shacks left to score one day on the Metro. 66615 is filmed passing on a westbound coal train, then it's onto double duds but an unrefurbished pair 4083+4027 to Heworth. I'm so glad I'm not getting the replacement bus to Gateshead, the queue was stretching from the north side of the station, snaking through the concourse and almost out of the bus station on the south side! There's nowhere to buy NR tickets here, so I have to buy from the guard. Since I need to buy a Tyne and Tees Day Ranger, that could be difficult! 1037 for the next eastbound train, so I've got a fair ol' wait yet. Coffee time, as well as those new Northern announcements about CCTV and minding the gap making me jump!

Much to my disgust, I start my Tyne and Tees adventure, an hour later than originally planned, with dud 142027! The guard has no problem issuing my ranger for £21.50, and I surprisingly enjoy my 57 minute journey on this 142, my first diesel train since the HST to Paddington on Monday. I would have preferred a 156 of course, and I use the time en-route to my first shack scratch on the mainline today, Stockton, to update the trip report and NREA before finally eating for the first time today. The prawn crackers I got in Tonbridge go down well, and before I know it we're at Stockton. 67003 passes southbound on a light engine movement to my surprise, and I'm on dud 142017 back up the line to Seaton Carew.

More coffee to be consumed here, and I see there's a Sainsburys next to the station. I know 142064 should be up next, having seen it going west earlier at Fellgate. The fester is over fast, and sure enough winner 142064 takes me to Nunthorpe for shack scratch 3. I mus say the guards are really good at ticket checks up here, a credit to Northern. We arrive after a 41 minute journey, which flew by, at Nunthorpe 4 minutes early, and of course there's photos to be taken. 1 Heaton 142 down, 20 to go! Off we go right time at 1316 and I'm off this time at Marton for the scratch. The penultimate cup of coffee from my flask is had, and I have to feel sorry for the Esk Valley passengers on the 1218 Whitby to Middlesborough and 1404 return today, as it's winner 142088. Quite the contrast to doing the line on a 156, as I did way back in late 2008! I'm not complaining as it's a winner for me and I'm off to one of the UK's newest stations, James Cook.

A 2 minute leap made, 5 shacks scored today so far on the Northern empire. I finish the flask now, which lasted for about 6 hours but had gone to barely hot by now. I'm getting a 156 for the next leap to Gypsy Lane, but my first 156 of 2015 is dud 156444! Not very lucky there was I? Off we go, and Nunthorpe station is within view from this one. 142088 goes back to Whitby, and I await freshl Super Dud156444 back to Middlesborough. A PNB was more than needed by now, and it's time to get to work on the other Pacer-dominated sector of the North East, the Middlesborough to Saltburn line!

I have quite a bit of time before I head east, so I have a short walk into town. No offence to anyone living there, but it's a dump! Back at the station, I fail to find the stairs to the subway so use the lift. Up and over to platform 2, the 1457 to Saltburn gets held up by 66053 on an eastbound coal train, but I'm in luck as it's winner 142089 for me. 3 Heaton 142s down, 18 to go! I figure it's easier, having consulted the timetable extensively, to bail at Redcar East and await the next Saltburn train. I've seen it back in 2008, but I was amazed how big Redcar's steel works is. Makes Margam look tiny! Winner 142094 takes me to Marske, and I've planned my moves carefully here but it involves some annoyingly long waits. The only thing of interest at all here were the cockerels squaking!

142094 is back and takes me on a BSB to Longbeck [seriously, it's either 32 or 37 chains! - Ed] and I originally had a +35 here to head west again. However, sense kicked in and I realised I could do the next Saltburn train as it would be the same 142 forming the next westbound train. The barriers originally go down about 10 minutes early, but are soon enough put back up, to the clear relief of the road users! A photo of the signal box here had to be had, and my earlier observation of 142022 to Darlington paid off, as it's a winner on my trip to Saltburn. I micro-grice platform 2 here, having done platform 1 in 2008 and I'm straight back onto the 142 after the mandatory photo stop. I had chosen the 1630 from Saltburn for a special reason...

That being that this is the only service Mondays to Saturdays that calls at Redcar British Steel [there's only otherwise an eastbound working in the mornings, getting there at 0804 - Ed]. This one, and Lympstone Commando, are both technically private property and not readily accessible to the public. For these two, which I believe are the only two stations like it in the UK, I'm making an exception to my rule. Normally I will mark off a station as done if I've alighted from a train (or got there by other means) and getting another service away from it (or continuing via other means), but for these two since that's not exactly possible I'm happy to count down if I'm on a train that calls at them. I know this rule won't go down well with others, but it's my rule and I'm happy with it. The other highlight of this move was my FINALLY stopping and having my sandwich from Asda!

With that done, I alight 142022 at South Bank, the penultimate station on this line to do. I have a ton of moves and trip report to put into my notebook, so I do that here. The surrounding industry around me makes me rather glad I'm in the job I'm in, the thought of working in such an environment makes me shudder! 142015 is observed passing here towards Darlington, which I need so I work out its next move. In the meantime dud 142050 takes me to Redcar Central, finishing the Saltburn branch stations at long last. It's only a short wait for 142089 to take me west, and I'm planning to alight at Eaglescliffe for yet another shack scratch.

The main reason for getting off at Eaglescliffe is to intercept 142015 on its return working, but I only have a +2. When we leave Middlesborough 90 seconds late the danger music is playing all the way! We have a very friendly and cheery guard on 142089 today, and things like his announcing "please take your stuff with you, we don't need any more wooly hats" and his general pleasant attitude with everyone made my day. Credit to him doing a full 142 coach between Thornaby and Eaglescliffe, that can't have been easy!

Thankfully 142015 is a minute late, and if it hadn't been an island platform at Eaglescliffe I doubt I'd have made it! 5 Heaton 142s down, 16 to go now. Back to Thornaby now for a wait for what turned out to be winner 185114 for the trip to Yarm, another winner shack. The +13 turned into a +21 as the Middlesborough was late. It's dud 185102, oh well I'm down to 10 more 185s to get now at least. I go onwards to Middlesborough, with the plan being to get the 1942 up to Heworth via the Durham Coast. However a look at RTT confirmed a risky plus was available via Darlington at Newcastle. That would get me to Heworth 32 minutes quicker, it had to be worth a go!

So it was onto 142015 again to Darlington, and I was amazed to find this hadn't been done in the westbound direction yet, so another micro-grice was had. I feel like celebrating so open one of the 2 cans of Carlsberg Export left from Wednesday. It's been an excellent day it must be said, and we reach Darlington at 1948, with 142015 disappearing very soon after arrival to the north ECS. The plus onto the 1957 was all fine and good, easily made, but it's 6 minutes late so going to miss the 2030 from Newcastle after all. Grr! It was always a risky move anyway, and my frown was soon turned upside down when I find I have winner 91114 for the trip to Newcastle. Excellent stuff, 12 91s to go!

We end up being 9 minutes late, due to awaiting a clear path through Newark North Gate; according to the guard. It's time to celebrate with that last tinnie, and some Pendulum [Blood Sugar and Tarantula to be precise! - Ed] for the trip to Newcastle. Somehow we're 12 down off Durham, and eventually arrive off my very last ever East Coast move at 2040. I end up going to Subway for some food as I'm starving. It goes down beautifully, and eventually it's time for the 2118 to Middlesborough, coming in from Carlisle. Much to my extreme delight, it's winner 142091! 6 Heaton 142s down, 15 to go, an impressive haul and my NREA now looks drastically better!

Disaster strikes as we approach Heworth though, as I discover I've left my flask behind in Newcastle! Where I'm not sure, but I reckon it was in Subway. I'll have to go back tomorrow and check! It's winner 4028 and dud 4029 to Pelaw for double winners 4011 and 4069 to Hebburn, an excellent way to end the day's cranking, 13 hours and 43 minutes of it today! Back at the B&B, a call home is made and I have a ton of updating of my moves and trip report into my notebook, let alone the NREA, Quail and Baker rail atlas! Tonight's Big Bang Theory fix is had, and eventually it's off to sleep gone 0030. An excellent day had, with xx winners and xx required shacks!

And with that gang, it's off to work. Day 6 will hopefully follow tomorrow, after which I need to get my moves book up to date and, fingers crossed, get my missing mileages added to RailMiles this weekend! I haven't figured out my next bash this month yet, that will be done later this week when I'm carefully analysed my funds!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
One thing, though - you appear to have travelled from Birmingham Snow Hill to St Paul's (LUL) and back on Birmingham trams, and via some sort of 31 chain wormhole in the space/time continuum! If this is the case, maybe HS2's route needs to be rethought! :)

***

An enjoyable write up - as usual - of your latest travels. I must really get off my backside and have a trip out soon...

I shall investigate this one shortly, if there is indeed an error I shall fix it. Thanks for spotting it though, I was of the impression 2015's entries were correct!

I should be starting Day 6 on tonight's commute home, at this moment in time I'm gearing up with coffee for my return to work!

EDIT: Just had a look, FML at the error!
 
Last edited:

55013

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2005
Messages
1,577
Location
Yorkshire
Very interesting write up, there. Thanks.

Just one thing,

Coffee time, as well as those new Northern announcements about CCTV and minding the gap making me jump!

are these the "matey" announcements, saying things like "smile" and "that's one place you don't want to visit"? If so, I have to suffer them on an almost daily basis.
Having said that, they're not as bad as the ones done by a small child.
Incredibly patronising, they are.
 

Kristofferson

Member
Joined
23 Nov 2012
Messages
1,132
A quiet afternoon at work and I'm up to date! A great read as always, and congrats on clearing some classes and lines :) How far are you off clearing every station in the UK - must be close now?
xx winners and xx required shacks!
How many? :lol:
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,845
Location
Nowhere Heath
55013:2072045 said:
Very interesting write up, there. Thanks.

Just one thing,

Coffee time, as well as those new Northern announcements about CCTV and minding the gap making me jump!

are these the "matey" announcements, saying things like "smile" and "that's one place you don't want to visit"? If so, I have to suffer them on an almost daily basis.
Having said that, they're not as bad as the ones done by a small child.
Incredibly patronising, they are.

Correct! At least they're different I suppose. The kid one really got on my nerves, but the others are at least midly humourous.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Kristofferson:2072090 said:
A quiet afternoon at work and I'm up to date! A great read as always, and congrats on clearing some classes and lines :) How far are you off clearing every station in the UK - must be close now?
xx winners and xx required shacks!
How many? :lol:

Good question there lol. Not cleared any classes yet, apart from 375s for sight if that's what you meant. Should have seen me at Tonbridge, I was super happy about that! :D Glad you've enjoyed the read, Day 6 will be started on shortly, once I've got some Pepsi Diet down my neck first!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
OK then gang, I managed to do all of Day 6 on my way home tonight!

07/02/2015 - Techniquest's On The Toon, Day 3

Waking up three times during the night was less than welcome, partly from weird dreams and partly from a suddenly pounding headache :( Due to this, I reset the alarm to 0830 from 0730, and it's still a shock when it goes off! Definitely no time to hang around now, as I want one more go at the Metro before I head home! I only have 3 hours until I need to be on the mainline station in Newcastle to head south, so not much time left at all. De-rancification and preparations (which I thankfully started last night!) still takes around 35 minutes to get done, and I drop off the keys and head to Asda for supplies.

I just make it, after getting my Zones A&B DaySaver for £3.70, onto unrefurbished pair 4026+4045, 4026 winning. It's off to Four Lane Ends for today's first shack scratch, heading back west on a BSB to Longbenton with double winners 4077+4080. Just in time over the bridge to board double duds 4087+4082 to Benton. Next up, still heading east, were double duds 4023+4042 to the limit of Zone B on this side of the loop, Shiremoor. Before too long I head back west to Palmersville on double winners 4031+4034. Annoyingly, after the next westbound service, there's a 20 minute gap. Doing that would mean a risky connection onto booked trains home, so I have to leave Northumberland Park for another trip. I return to Central Station on double duds 4007+4063, on which it's time to eat for the first time today. The chocolate doughtnuts bought this morning go down well, a bargain at 50p! Before I know it we're at Central Station, bringing to an end my trip up north.

I fail to find Costa, so I end up in Subway for two reasons. The first was to see if I had left my flask behind here last night, the second was a need to get coffee. RESULT! They did indeed have my flask! No way could I not get a coffee here now and provide them with some business, least I could do! :D I need to spend £2 or more to pay by card, so I also get 3 cookies. I must be now getting close to the magical thou with Subway points too, bonus! After some observations are made, and I tweet Subway my thanks, it's time to head home on the first of 3 trains to get me there.

I was concerned that my XC move to York was going to be a Voyager, so when I see an HST in the distance I'm very pleased! Double duds 43378+43285 are on the 0900 Glasgow Central to Bristol Temple Meads (and no further due to engineering work, I assume it's to Plymouth normally) and I find someone sleeping in my seat. Doesn't help the electronic seat reservations STILL don't work, but there were paper ones in place and she clearly didn't look! No matter, there's available seats nearby which will do fine. To my pleasant surprise I score a Trailer Standard for haulage on this set, a welcome and splendid bonus! Off we go right time, and it's time for some tunes as I spend most of the journey to York writing today's trip report. An on-time arrival into York and I wish I was staying on all the way to Birmingham but alas I chose to go via the (much!) cheaper route of Manchester. A large Costa coffee is sourced and I make my way to platform 11 to join the 1253 York to Manchester Piccadilly (not Airport until next week when the blockade will be off).

Annoyingly it's dud 185114, the one I had to Yarm last night! Off we go right time, with 37606 still keeping the snowplough with company (66433 has left them alone though since Thursday afternoon). I would have been happier with 37606 mind, I can just imagine the thrash through Standedge with that! <D

I finally update the NREA and see what I scored this morning. 3 winners for sight this morning was welcome, with 5 winners for haulage and 5 required shacks scored too. That leaves me with 7, 26 and 17 to go respectively, a FAR better prospect than I had on Thursday afternoon! Indeed, before this week I had needed 59 Metro units for haulage so having that number drop so dramatically is a very good bit of news! Passing through Leeds has made me determined to come back here asap, the amount of trains I'm seeing that I could go after is unreal, and let's not think about the amount of stations I need to get in West Yorkshire! Time next to update the Baker rail atlas, which looks a lot better than it did before the trip! The moves book is going to take forever to do though, something to do on the way to Hereford then...

We follow a stopper from Guide Bridge (or at least a less than fast train) to Manchester, and my fears the other day become true the second I put a foot onto Manchester Piccadilly's platform 1. "Attention please for passengers on platform 8", ears prick up and yes, the 1430 to Milford Haven I'm booked on home is cancelled, due to a broken down train. Good thing I have the fallback option of the 1530 Manchester Piccadilly to Pembroke Dock then really! I know ATW's compensation for delayed journeys is stingy, but hopefully I'll still get something out of it for the inconvenience! I make some observations while I decide what to do for an hour, then after a medium Costa I vote with my feet and have a walk to Piccadilly Gardens to do some tram spotting. In about 20 minutes I score 8 trams for sight, not bad. There's even pairs of trams running, is this a common occurance?

It would cost me £1.20 for a single back to Piccadilly, no thanks I'll walk. Just as well, as not only does it only take me about 6 minutes I get there well before the next tram would have done so. Will the 1530 to Pembroke Dock be running I wonder, sure enough it is thankfully, and it's Super Dud 175105. I don't believe I'm even close to the magical thou on this one yet, so another 114 miles on it will help that objective. It's time for some Pendulum again while I update the trip report, and we leave 2 minutes late at 1532. After a PNB I finally have the sandwich I bought for lunch from Asda, and with everything else updated it's time to update the moves book!

We near Ludlow and I have to stop, my fingers are hurting from gripping the pen for so long while frantically writing in the moves! I got as far as the 91 from London so not bad to be fair, I hadn't realised quite how many moves I'd made! I'd scored 68005 and 68008 on the DRS depot [I never remember the name of it! - Ed] at Crewe, much to my delight. It's now the last 20 minutes of the trip, a massive shame that it's come to an end, I've had an amazing time! I've spent quite a lot of money, but for 6 days of heaven to spend £149 on travel, £192 in accommodation and £81.54 on other supplies (£422.04 according to my calculations) is not bad at all. Quite, if I had binned this trip to do an ALR as I had considered I'd have spent £478 on an ALR just for the travel! Would I have had a better time on an ALR? No-one will be able to answer that, certainly not me as I don't know what moves I'd have done. I just know for sure I had an amazing time, apart from getting ill in the middle of the trip!

I get a lift home as my sister's also coming into town and wants a lift home, so I save myself a bus journey there! We stop off at the chippy and I get a portion of chips as my stomach's now hungry again, having not eaten much today. Home is reached around 1900 and I reach for proper coffee, Douwe Egberts. So ends an amazing trip, the first big bash of 2015. 95 winners were had all in, and I've not counted the shacks but it was certainly a lot, a guess would say about 60. I still have a very long way to clearing the UK's stations, I don't want to think about how many are left!

Where am I going next? Hopefully a London Midland Great Escape on the 23rd of February, but I need to analyse carefully my available funds for the remainder of Q1 2015. All I know for sure is that 2015 promises to be as good as 2014!
 

55013

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2005
Messages
1,577
Location
Yorkshire
At least they're different I suppose. The kid one really got on my nerves, but the others are at least midly humourous.

Oh, they're different all right, most of them were slightly amusing the first time.
Not so much several months later.
As for the ones done by the child. It's just what you need when you're stood at Halifax in a snow storm, a 5 year old telling you to take care in the "typical British weather".
I've yet to meet anyone who likes them.
I've no doubt somebody thought it would be "cute".
Anyway, sorry for hijacking your thread, but if you ever see a bloke stood on Halifax shaking his fist at the loud speakers, it'll be me.
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
A brilliant report!

I can't believe how many Tyne and Wear metro units you managed to get in!
 

Kristofferson

Member
Joined
23 Nov 2012
Messages
1,132
Not cleared any classes yet, apart from 375s for sight if that's what you meant.
Yup that's what I meant!

Sounds like a great time, and I've found myself considering a trip of my own quite a few times recently! Nothing hardcore, just a "how many classes can I travel on in the travelcard area in one day" kind of thing.

Enjoyed the report as always and look forward to the LM Great Escape report, as I should recognise most of the trains and stations :)
 

55013

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2005
Messages
1,577
Location
Yorkshire
Yes, very enjoyable.
I'm looking forward to my trip up there in 8 or 9 weeks time.
I'll have nowhere near as many winners as you, of course, as it's not a cranking trip, but I'm sure there'll be a few.
I haven't been on that system in about twenty years, I need 82 sets, so needing 59 is something I can only dream about :)
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Well everyone is beating me on the metro. I have never been on it, so I need them all!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,845
Location
Nowhere Heath
Oh, they're different all right, most of them were slightly amusing the first time.
Not so much several months later.
As for the ones done by the child. It's just what you need when you're stood at Halifax in a snow storm, a 5 year old telling you to take care in the "typical British weather".

Ahhh, that's what he's on about is it? I could barely understand any of it, the stupid voice and the stupid idea to use an annoying brat to make that announcement!

They were slightly amusing aye, but didn't it make me jump when I came down the stairs at Heworth on Friday and all of a sudden I hear the speaker right behind me going "SMILE! You're on camera!".

but if you ever see a bloke stood on Halifax shaking his fist at the loud speakers, it'll be me.

:lol::lol::lol: Sorry but the image of someone shaking their fist at the speakers is just making me chuckle away, don't know why!

That'll be me if they're still going when I do my West Yorkshire bash later this year!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yup that's what I meant!

Sounds like a great time, and I've found myself considering a trip of my own quite a few times recently! Nothing hardcore, just a "how many classes can I travel on in the travelcard area in one day" kind of thing.

Enjoyed the report as always and look forward to the LM Great Escape report, as I should recognise most of the trains and stations :)

Not a bad shout, you can upgrade to hardcore trips later. Watch the addiction take over! ;)

Not promising a trip report for the Great Escape bash, but to be honest it's unlikely that it won't happen ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yes, very enjoyable.
I'm looking forward to my trip up there in 8 or 9 weeks time.
I'll have nowhere near as many winners as you, of course, as it's not a cranking trip, but I'm sure there'll be a few.
I haven't been on that system in about twenty years, I need 82 sets, so needing 59 is something I can only dream about :)

If you don't get any winners on your visit I'll be shocked, maybe see if your wife will do some insect leaps from station to station in the core to up your scores :lol:

I needed 59 this time last week, I only need 26 now. Very pleased to have 33 winners on the Metro, didn't expect to use it that much before the trip!
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,758
Location
Up North
Correct! At least they're different I suppose. The kid one really got on my nerves, but the others are at least midly humourous.

Being stood on a deserted Blaydon station in the dark and having one of the kid ones crackle into life gave me a fright a couple of weeks ago! :p

Had a read through, glad to see that you had plenty of winners on the Metro :)
 

55013

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2005
Messages
1,577
Location
Yorkshire
If you don't get any winners on your visit I'll be shocked, maybe see if your wife will do some insect leaps from station to station in the core to up your scores :lol:

When we're away my wife likes to have a day relaxing back at base camp, not doing much except reading.
I hate that as I go a bit stir crazy stuck in one room all day, so we've come to an arrangement whereby I go off on my own until early evening.

This works well as it means I generally have a few hours to get some trains in :)
Guess what I'll be doing on our next holiday.
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,930
Nice to read as ever Jules, your enthusiasm is infectious and while I don't think I could do what you do (no interest in scoring units !); you've got me thinking where I'd like to take myself when I next have a free day. Alas my 300 or so mile shift as a guard tomorrow doesn't count as it's a bit too routine and I'll have work to do! I do love your writing style, it flows very easily.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,845
Location
Nowhere Heath
When we're away my wife likes to have a day relaxing back at base camp, not doing much except reading.
I hate that as I go a bit stir crazy stuck in one room all day, so we've come to an arrangement whereby I go off on my own until early evening.

This works well as it means I generally have a few hours to get some trains in :)
Guess what I'll be doing on our next holiday.

That would drive me up the wall too, good thing you've got that arrangement going on :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Nice to read as ever Jules, your enthusiasm is infectious and while I don't think I could do what you do (no interest in scoring units !); you've got me thinking where I'd like to take myself when I next have a free day. Alas my 300 or so mile shift as a guard tomorrow doesn't count as it's a bit too routine and I'll have work to do! I do love your writing style, it flows very easily.

Good thing we're all different eh? You never know, you might enjoy scoring units, give it a try by logging what you work on for a few days!

I hope that's a good thing about the writing style, it sounds like it but I'm glad you enjoyed the read :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top