• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Juliano's World Frenzy/Tech's Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
Hopefully I'll get a good sounding Sprinter when I go through it, it'd be good to get a nice noise when travelling through the tunnel. Northern's 156s usually sound good going through the tunnels on the approaches to Lime Street, although there's been a couple that weren't that good compared to others.[/QUOTE

The 37's on the Liverpool Cardiffs back in the day. Absolute beasts going up the cutting out of Lime Street.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
The 37's on the Liverpool Cardiffs back in the day. Absolute beasts going up the cutting out of Lime Street.

Oh I can imagine that sounded brilliant, the Class 37s sound absolutely superb on the Cumbrian Coast Line. Speaking of the Cumbrian Coast Line, I should take a trip up there again soon!
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
Oh I can imagine that sounded brilliant, the Class 37s sound absolutely superb on the Cumbrian Coast Line. Speaking of the Cumbrian Coast Line, I should take a trip up there again soon!

Ditto, I have a free Northern pass that needs using.

Back in the day there was a Liverpool Cardiff at 17:14 with a 37/4 or occasionally something more exotic and a Liverpool Preston at 17:15 with a 31/4 or occasionally something more exotic. They would frequently pull away at exactly the same time and (Sort of) race up the cutting. The noise was immense. It was every weekday and Saturday as well. The Cardiff would leave from Platform 5 and the Preston from 1. Then they got replaced by Sprinters and it wasn't quite so much fun.
 
Last edited:

47403

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2012
Messages
2,206
Location
Geordie Republic of Gateshead
Sounded like a enjoyable break out the house. Good luck witb them shacks. Some mega festering there. Whilst i tip my hat off to you shack scratchers, its one hell of a labour of love, to go out just for one scratch.
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
03/08/2016 - Tech's Bashers' Fantasy, Day 1

So much I've looked forward to this bash, that I started typing up the first part of this trip report on 26th July! All in the name of making a commute home less boring you see...It's back to musical references, this time Nightcore - Ravers Fantasy, one of my Top Tunes of 2016. Those with long memories will note I used this tune to block out the racket of football hooligans aboard 170104, while heading home from Nottingham, way back on 4th January. That really feels like an eternity ago, it has to be said, but it also shows two things. One, that the trip was that good it's still in memory 7 months later. Two, that 2016 is flying by and I've still got a lot of my 2016 plans to do!

Work couldn't go quick enough, and it was out through the door and off for a much needed meal. London, here I come! Unfortunately I had to endure the mundane journey to Birmingham first! It feels like quite some time since the red pen last came out, so while I've enjoyed my recent shack scoring trips, the promise of many winners had me quite excited! A well earnt pint was had in Spoons, where the bad news arrived. My phone charger had been nicked out of my bag, which I didn't know until I happened to look for it. Worse still, I knocked over half of my delicious pint of stout, so my trousers became rather smelly of it later on! A scramble to get an emergency supply resulted in a cable from Poundworld, no plug available in 3 shops. I manage to find time to source a doner meat and chips for a much needed meal, and it's an understatement to say my mood was far less than good by now.

170517+170516 take me to Birmingham, and due to the phone charge issues I have no tunes on. Oh my lordz this was a dull journey without Tech's Mobile Disco, just when I needed some tunes to boost the mood! Eventually we arrive and I hastily rush to Tesco Metro and get a plug for £12. A cup of tea is sourced, using Costa points, before joining 390124 on the 2050 to the Bat Cave of the South [London Euston - Ed] and we leave on time. Now it's either the cable, the plug or a dodgy power supply on the 390, but instead of going up the phone's charge was going down! I insist on some tunes to stop me going insane, and after Rugby I investigate sockets in coach F in case it's a dodgy socket at seat 24 in coach E. Nope, same problem, so it was back to my seat, tunes off and phone put onto Ultra Power Saving Mode. You won't be surprised to read that I didn't enjoy my journeys today!

Arrival is eventual at 2217 and I march down to the Victoria line to join double duds 11087 and 11088 to Victoria. It's very busy indeed up here, so it takes a few minutes but I meet up with Blindtraveller [throughout the rest of the trip report, for the sake of my thumbs, he'll be referred to as BT - Ed] before we join a fast train to Croydon. Dud 377465 on its own, unsurprisingly, is very busy and we stand all the way. Base camp is, shock horror, easyHotel, again and we're in room 608 quite quick and easily. There was no indication to the horrors to come in a few hours...

Days 2 to 4 will follow soon!
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Do we have any fire alarms engineers on here?

90 mins on 170s without tunes!

Day 2 will I know be much more entertaining
 

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
Great read Tech. I know the feeling about long train journeys without being able to listen to any music, I find they can become incredibly boring and if there's a lot of noise on the train, then it's even worse! I'm looking forward to reading the reports from Days 2, 3 and 4. :)
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Ouch to the long journey without music but at least it got you to London! I'll look forward to the rest!
 

Kristofferson

Member
Joined
23 Nov 2012
Messages
1,132
Very much enjoyed the read so far, looking forward to the rest!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Glad you all enjoyed the read, Day 2 will be more exciting I promise! It has been started, and Day 3 has not long ago finished. Rather productive day and not looking forward to having to go home in 13 hours!

Advance warning, a Tech's Bookwork Weekend *may* be coming up ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
04/08/2016 - Tech's Bashers' Fantasy, Day 2

So yeah, all was going well and a good sleep was being had until 0448 in the morning. Not just once, twice, but FOUR times the fire alarm went off! As it went off but turned off relatively quickly, we didn't leave the room straight away, then discovered the lifts were functional and that someone been smoking in their room. Really, for ********** sake! Naturally enough, the heart is still racing for quite a few minutes upon return to the room, then the alarm was going off at 0700. That wasn't fun, I can promise you all that much! After de-rancification and bag sorting, it was off to Sainsburys for some breakfast supplies before heading to Dingwall Road, the other side of East Croydon station. The morning's main move was the 0825 X26 to Heathrow, as BT was in need of track out there, and we both wanted to cover the route.

BN12 EOS, a Merecedes Citaro, takes us on the long journey but it's rather good fun aboard this thrashy beast. We arrive at 1020 into Heathrow Central Bus Station, then make the long trek to Terminals 1,2,3 [yes I know T1 is gone now - Ed] for a trip to Terminal 4 aboard 360203. It's a long turnaround here, so we go for the Piccadilly line from here next. It's not marked on any signs, in the lifts or anywhere else, so we end up riding up and down a couple of times before we end up asking someone. Right to the other end of the terminal and into those lifts, and if you didn't know that even the big yellow signs here don't point it out until you get near the lift. I'm sorry but for the UK's busiest airport that's disgraceful.

We've not had coffee yet, so when we discover the shop by the Piccadilly line platform sells coffee for £1.29 we can't resist! Not bad stuff to be fair as well. Double winners for everything 233+232 take us around the loop to Hatton Cross, where we finish our coffees before joining dud 119 with winner 224 back around the loop through T4, as BT needed the last bit of the loop. At T123 again, it's only a short wait for double winners for everything 180+231 for the short trip to T5. Getting over to the Heathrow Express platforms takes longer than I remembered, but we join double winners 332008+332005 for the short trip to T123. This was my first use of 332s in years, wow the refurb is quite nice! All the track done here now, we decide to pay out the extra ching for a Connect single to Hayes and Harlington. It's super chingy, that's for sure, and it's a fair ol' fester, but we're eventually heading for daylight again on 360203.

I still can't be sure what's what with the Stockley Flyovers at Airport Junction, but I might well have scored a new bit of track now too! We bail for something more interesting, and end up on 165116 which joins the League of Super Duds for the run to Paddington. Hassaanhc joins us now and this Turbo is certainly more fun than the 360! Once at Paddington we make our way to the Bakerloo line, as hot as always, and despite the recent long closure it's no tidier down here than it was before! Dud 3237 led winner for everything 3449 for our trip to Oxford Circus, and the first Victoria line train north was dud so we wait for the next one shortly behind. Happy days, as it was double winners 11051+11052 for the fast trip to Finsbury Park!

We split ways for now with hassanhc as we're heading out of the zones, but first we visit the little shop just outside the station [Station News I believe - Ed] and source some drinks and snacks, it having been some time since the last food or drink and a long time until we get another opportunity to get some. Back on the station, dud 365511 takes us to Letchworth Garden City, the aim being to score Hitchin Flyover. This is also BT's first 365 bash, and he seemed rather impressed. The track did indeed produce, and wow doesn't it go a long way out and around with several curves to get back to the Cambridge line! The day's first winner shack scored now, and it's a fester with moves planning now for 20 minutes.

313050+313045 work the 1450 Letchworth Garden City to Moorgate, and naturally we get in a motor coach for the noise, 313045 now becoming a Super Dud. We go via Hertford North on this, a winner route for BT, and the thrash is great but I'm also glad to get to the end of the run for a leg stretch. All GN 313 territory covered on the class now too, and we meet up again with hassanhc at Finsbury Park on this move. Having got gen earlier on my last GN 313, we do a BSB back to Old Street on 313057+313055 and fester for 20 minutes. The Danger Music was now playing, but eventually winner 313035 rolls in with dud 313056 on the back. It might be a BSB but it's in the book now at long last, no more need to hunt 313/0s, oh happy days!

It's time to achieve another objective next, get a good run on a D stock. Double winners for everything 21029+21030 take us on a BSB to Liverpool Street for double duds 21485+21486 [dud from the previous London bash I believe - Ed] for the short trip to Tower Hill. Deckchair Mode, engaged! The fester was for only 8 minutes in the end, and we join double winners 7504+7079 all the way to Richmond as BT needed that branch of the District. It was a cracking 43 minute run as it turned out, and we see off hassanhc here as he went chasing an unusual working of a London double decker [you'd have to ask him which one - Ed] which he missed and ended up with him doing an S stock bash.

Meanwhile, BT realised he needed part of the Overground network from Richmond, so we went to join 378201. However, I noticed Puccinos is in a new location here and BT agreed to make his first visit to a Puccinos, having heard me wax lyrical about them in the past. Thankfully he's quite pleased with his coffee and is slowly becoming a fan too! We then go and join dud 378208 for the long run to Highbury & Islington, which then completed the North London Line for BT. It's a sloooooow journey and I'm glad we sourced a hot beverage for it! We're also more than glad to have bailed here, as the 378 became very busy indeed, with people being left behind for the remaining run to Stratford. I dread to think how it would have been on 4-car 378201 earlier!

Down to the Victoria line and it's double duds 11057+11058 to Victoria on another nice and fast run. 11 minutes is all it took to cover quite a bit of mileage, always impressed with the performance on this, my favourite LU line. It's now more than overdue for a meal, so we visit Burger King for a most delicious feast before joining dud 465152 and winner 466003 to Beckenham Junction. We had considered using Southern Failway to Croydon, however they were undergoing the usual delays, cancellations and general horridness, so Southeastern was an easy choice! The noise off the 466 was more than welcome too, oh my don't I love a good Networker bash!

Winner tram 2554 is next up to take us to East Croydon, and oh my goodness me, how uncomfortable did they want to make these seats?! By the time we eventually get off the pile of junk 21 minutes later, we were more than glad to be off it. I feel sorry for the poor souls who have to use these regularly! It's now back to base and a general wind down after a most enjoyable day, despite being tired for much of it. 17 winners today too, most decent considering it wasn't a pure red pen moves day!
 

Kristofferson

Member
Joined
23 Nov 2012
Messages
1,132
Well done to BT on the NLL, and well done yourself for the 313/0s!

As you know, I can't stand D Stock, but I'm sure it wasn't too bad...!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Congrats on finally getting that 313! When I travelled on the Croydon trams I quite liked them. Not sure why you didn't to be honest!
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
I think what we both disliked was the seating on the new trams, the old ones are just grand.

Good writeup, look forward to the rest
 

55013

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2005
Messages
1,577
Location
Yorkshire
Congratulations on the 313/0s.
Your fire alarm frustrations brought back memories of the Maypole Travelodge. <shudder>
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Glad you all enjoyed the read gang, Day 3 will follow below this reply. Day 4 will either happen later, after a major RailMiles session, or after tomorrow's fester...

BT is right, the seats on the newer Croydon trams are awful. I forgot to mention the useless PIS on 2554 too, I think it worked for less than a minute! Kite, I don't have any issues with Midland Metro's seats, I can happily do a 20+ minute journey on them without getting uncomfortable.

Sorry to bring up that rancid memory for you 55013, our experience wasn't quite as bad thankfully but it nearly was!

05/08/2016 - Tech's Bashers' Fantasy, Day 3

Another night of disturbed sleep, as you wouldn't believe but at around 0250 the fire alarms were sounding again! Yes they didn't last long, but this is just getting silly now, we could guess the reason why they were sounding of course. I spy with my little eye a complaint to easyHotel about this! We're awake earlier than expected and naturally in a sleep deprived state again. Breakfast is sourced from Sainsburys, and after a de-rancify things looked a bit brighter. Research into diagrams for the 700s was carried out too, as BT had not yet had one. Eventually we leave the room and get our Travelcards in, thinking we'd miss a 700. Yeah, umm, no. Thameslink were copying Southern Failway, apparently due to either [or both! - Ed] a train fault or a shortage of train crew, the 0911 Three Bridges to Bedford was 20 minutes late!

OK so we will go to Costa for coffee then after all! I use the last of my points on my Costa card, that can go Foxtrot Oscar out of my wallet soon now [not at all obvious poor customer service has finally got the better of me with this lot! - Ed] with a ceremony due to be announced. Expect this to be done on Twitter in due course...Eventually winner for everything 700107 rolls in and leaves 33 minutes late. Ooh, hello Delay Repay! BT is not impressed with the seats, and I agreed with him on the air conditioning not being brilliant today. A warm day and the AC is hardly flowing cool air, not impressed at all. We are at this point heading to St Pancras, so we can also sample these on the overheads rather than just on DC power, then to head onwards again somewhere else. Worth mentioning this now for a good reason...

Naturally this involved the notorious Thameslink Stagger, and due to the delay we are obviously staggering more than usual. Herne Hill is finally reached, and we stop and wait. And we wait, and wait, then wait some more! With no information freely available, we do wonder what is going on, then the PIS screens go off eventually, indicating an issue. The driver eventually realises an announcement is needed, and apparently 700107 had endured a, to quote the driver, a "serious fault which has now been rectified" but of course we were now going to terminate early at Blackfriars. Eventually we get going and it's still a slow run to the northbound through platform, arriving a whopping 59 minutes late!

Now we still wanted to head to St Pancras, although by now anywhere with a sensible Tube connection would do as we are now fed up of Thameslink's useless performance! Eventually the 700 is sent ECS northwards, and we board double duds 319430+319453 for a leap to Farringdon. Getting off the Core was now wise, and we finally reach Farringdon about 72 minutes after we should have done. That's made Delay Repay more worthwhile, a shame the chasing of GN 321s was now out of the equation! Double winners for everything 21115+21116 take us to Baker Street, where we would change for something infinitely more hellfire than a 700. I still didn't find the seats that bad on them, even after the long trip on them, and still consider them far superior to those on that tram we did the night before!

Dud 96097 led winner 96098 on a trip to Waterloo, and oh my LORDZ the noise was most welcome! A bash on the Waterloo & City line was now due, and eventually finding the route to it we join double winners for everything 65503+65504 to Bank. Ooh yes that was indeed good fun! It's time to head to the DLR next, and we have gen there's an easy lift ride down to it, so we naturally put this to the test. World's best kept secret more like, it was extremely poorly signed! Eventually in the first lift, it was even playing up with alarms sounding much to our surprise. It's then another confusing trip to the next lift, and evidentally there's been issues with people relieving themselves here, as each lift has notices attached about this! So was this it, were we finally at street level? Nope, another very small lift to go!

So much for it being easy eh? We vote against doing them back down, and after researching our lunch option, we use the stairs back down to finally get on the move. Dud 83 led winner 63 and dud 64 for the short trip to Westferry, changing here for Beckton. Duds 140+134 led winner 102 for the 21 minute journey, 43 DLR units to go now. It's a long walk into Brewers Fayre, and it's a long wait for service but we are soon enough enjoying a nice cider while we wait for food. A winner cider for me too! DLR unit 30 had also been spotted earlier, leaving just number 52 to get before I clear the lot for sight. A most hellfire chicken tikka masala meal, followed by an even more hellfire warm chocolate brownie with ice cream for pudding, was devoured as was some coffee. Highly recommend the food here!

I pop over to Asda to try and get a new phone charger, alas they're out of stock. Back on the DLR, it's a trio of duds in the form of 125+112+121 for the trip to Canning Town. A nice and easy transfer down one escalator here puts us onto the Jubilee [now that's what you call easy DLR! - Ed] and we're onto double duds 96098+96097, the same pair we had earlier! A long journey of thrash through the tunnels is had to Green Park, where we change for the Piccadilly line as BT needed the line to Cockfosters. Dud 894 led winner 151 for the long journey up and, after a few minutes break, we join dud 140 and winner for everything 139 for the short leap to the day's only winner shack at Oakwood. That now clears Cockfosters to Heathrow for shacks, leaving 5 Piccadilly line shacks between Acton Town and Rayners Lane to go after one day.

Winner for everything 884 led winner 189 for a leap to Arnos Grove, where we just make it onto dud 206 and winner 241 onwards for the long run to Holborn. The interchange onto the Central line is easier than I expected, and it's onto quadruple winners for everything 91203+92048+92464+91271 for the run to Leyton, where we were due to meet up with Kite159. Another most enjoyable run on 92 stock is had, and once I get on the blower to Kite I discover there's an Asda nearby. I go off in hunt of a charger, and eventually find the one I want, picking up either the last one or the second to last one. Well timed! Once we all met up again, BT having waited on the platform for us, we join triple winners for everything 91073+92418+92020 leading dud 91253 for the run to Woodford via Hainault, as BT needed the Hainault loop.

After a surprisingly fast journey, a very short fester puts us onto winner 91273 leading trio of duds 92246+92228+91145[/b] for the journey to Mile End. We hoped for a final D stock bash, instead we join duds 21419+21420 to Cannon Street, changing for some mainline action as part of a Southern Avoidance Move [SAM - Ed] for me and BT. Double duds 465916+465904 [Kite scoring 465904 - Ed] take us on a BSB to London Bridge, and the Hayes is cancelled so we won't be going that way after all. Kite leaves us now to chase a winner 465/9 while BT and I join double duds 465021+465188 for some Networker thrash to Grove Park. Kite's gen held true, and it's winner 466010 to Bromley North, a winner branch line for BT. A short journey takes us to the terminus, and I think platform 2 here is a winner micro-grice but yet to check that one.

WHV51 takes us on the final leg of the SAM on route 119, and these buses are surprisingly hellfire! The route's also rather quick for a suburban run, and after just 32 minutes we're outside East Croydon. A need for food followed, and we end up in Chick'n Box for that. I get a half pounder burger, chips and a can of Tango Cherry for £4.99, excellent value for what I got and I recommend coming here again! Back at base camp, it's time for an unwind after a long and tiring, but rewarding, day.

It's worth noting too that another world famous Tech's Bookwork Weekend is in full effect, some of which I'm doing tomorrow. If the weather's acceptable, I will have plenty of time to finish the lot after all...As usual, there will be updates on Twitter!
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Those fire alarms sounds ridiculous now! Ouch to the 700 problem too. Other than that it sounds like a great time!

Do you know that meal deal (in Brum) now does a 1/4 pounder burger, fries and a drink for £1.75? The same for a hot dog, pies, steak slice etc.?
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Those fire alarms sounds ridiculous now! Ouch to the 700 problem too. Other than that it sounds like a great time!

Do you know that meal deal (in Brum) now does a 1/4 pounder burger, fries and a drink for £1.75? The same for a hot dog, pies, steak slice etc.?

HELLFIRE! I will be making a visit to Meal Deal on my next Brum trip then, many thanks for the gen :D
 

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
Great reads so far Tech, congratulations on getting your last required 313/0. I still need loads of those, I really do need to get a move on with those.

I've not had the same issue as the alarms going off, but I was in a hotel a few years ago now with my family and a drunk man started banging on our door at whatever time it was. Needless to say, we weren't too happy with him when we opened the door and told him that he was knocking at the wrong room and we were trying to sleep!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
That guy would have had more than some strong words said to him if it had been me!

The final part of the trip report is ready:

06/08/2016 - Tech's Bashers' Fantasy, Day 4

Oh come on, this is just insanely ridiculous now! Now there WILL be a complaint sent in! I think you'll all guess what happened, but at 0243 the fire alarms are going off AGAIN. For the THIRD night in a row! Now I am put off using easyHotel again, unless a suitable response comes from them. We're awake by 0700 and unsurprisingly in a tired state, but not willing to stay asleep all morning as there was bashing to be done. After slowly getting ready for the day ahead, and I won't lie to you I was disappointed at having to leave London so soon, we head out and get breakfast from Sainsburys.

WHV52 takes us on route 119 to Hayes station, as BT needed the last bit of this line from Eden Park to Hayes. As we were of course implementing another SAM, this was ideal. A short but sweet ride later, in glorious weather for the entire day's travels, we alight the bus and walk into the station with only a few minutes to wait for the 0938 to London Charing Cross. The same pair of Networkers from last night's trip to Grove Park, 465188 and 465021, are on this run to take us into town. It's a good run too with some noisy 465s, and we're at Charing Cross before we know it. As time is not entirely on our side, we head to the Northern line as I can get some shack scores out of it. Double winners for everything 51659+51660 take us to winner shack Colliers Wood, with double winners 51562+51561 shortly behind to winner shack South Wimbledon. That's now all Northern line shacks south of Camden Town done.

We head outside to join DOE18 on route 93 to Morden Road tram stop. Yeah, that's all fine and good, but the bus stop is actually some way from the tram stop! Not a recommended interchange to be honest. Dud tram 2532 takes us to Wimbledon, sadly it's platform 10a not 10b that we use, the latter is required. More new track for BT is next, and we need to head towards town anyway, so we might as well kill two birds with one stone and join dud 319432 for the trip to Farringdon via Tooting. The motor noise is welcome, that's for sure, it won't be long until the 319s are done with down here after all. Double duds 21395+21396 take us to Euston Square, and it takes some time to get out of here due to the crowds.

A quick visit to Sainsburys then at Euston, and I join 390131 on the 1303 to Birmingham New Street out of platform 1. One helluva trek, and it's very sad to say farewell to London. It's a slow journey in places, but the tilt was welcome and I'm stuck into some classic happy hardcore until Rugby, when I figure I really should get a coffee going on and starting updating the moves book. We arrive 10 down and I head to Tesco to return the dodgy plug. This is reasonably easy to do much to my surprise, then I walk to Snow Hill to score the new tram stop there. No winner trams noted in the short time I had to find one, so I return to New Street, stopping at Grand Central Kitchen for my first visit and the day's second coffee. It's actually not bad stuff either, and cheaper than the chain outlets!

170501+170512 take me home to Hereford, and I fire away with bookwork and trip report typing. Naturally enough I had tunes on for the entire journey home, then I got a lift from the station and we pick my sister up before an average meal in Pizza Hut and then the drive home.

You won't be surprised to learn I'm already in TPP Mode!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,859
Location
West of Andover
It was nice to catch up with you again (and to meet BT for the first time) on Friday :)

A shame you didn't get many required 465s, but good for some 319 motor noise (although they sound a lot better on AC at high-ish speed)
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Oh indeed they do, 319s on AC power are hellfire! Good to catch up with you again for a bit on Friday :)

There *may* be a mini trip report tomorrow...
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Not much on the winner front today but it sounds like a rather nice time was had again.
 

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
The fire alarm went off three nights in a row? Very poor indeed, let us know what response you get from them. Despite that, it sounds like you had a great few days away in London getting some winner shacks and units as well as spending time with friends.

My mum did have a few choice words to say, fortunately he went away after mumbling he was sorry. I wouldn't mind, but the door number was big enough for him to see!
 

Kristofferson

Member
Joined
23 Nov 2012
Messages
1,132
Excellent stuff as always!

Like Mr Fish said, more of a track and shack bash (with a decent helping of fun) thrown in than a winner hunt, but entertaining I'm sure!

The 700s are going to have issues like any new train, especially as they're designed for ATO through the core instead of manual operation. Still not as bad as the S stock's introduction though!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Fortunately I wasn't there to endure the S stock introduction, so I'll take your word for that one Kris!

I got busy watching stuff on TV and YouTube this evening, so I have not yet done the complaint to easyHotel. It will happen though, I just need to get everything typed up. Something that I plan to do tomorrow!

Aye this trip was not about chasing winners, although the more of them that came my way, the better of course. I do have a hunch I'll be going on an epic solo bash down there soon enough to just go crazy with shack scoring and winner hunting!
 

Kristofferson

Member
Joined
23 Nov 2012
Messages
1,132
Neither was I Tech, but the damn things used to lose their shoes more than Cinderella so I hear!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Oh dear, can't say as much as I knew that! I have now completed my complaint to easyHotel, those in the Twiter chatter group will have received it first but for everyone else, this is what I had to say:

---

Last week I stayed in easyHotel for 3 nights with one of my friends in a twin room. We had both looked forward to our stay, having been to this hotel multiple times this year. Being very tired after a very long day, the first night in particular was looked forward to the most.

So imagine our dismay when we're woken up by fire alarms at 0450. Not just once, twice or even three times. FOUR times! This did rather ruin sleep unsurprisingly, and led to a tired day.

So night 2 we hoped for better fortune. No such joy, multiple times the fire alarms were going off again by 0250! Still with the heart racing, it then took a while to go back to sleep and of course the entire day was a tired one. Hardly ideal with exploring London all day!

Night 3 of 3, surely we were due good fortunes by now? Umm, yeah, no. 0243 and the fire alarm sounds once again, at least just once this time. It comes to something when you're considering just leaving the hotel and sleeping on a station bench for peace and quiet! It also comes to something when you find many notices about not smoking in the hotel, with "up to £300 fine, no excuses, straight fine" put up on multiple floors on every floor. Surely it should be widely enough known by now that smoking in hotels is not permitted!

I'm really doubting whether I'll stay at easyHotel again now, and that's a real shame as I've now stayed at the Croydon hotel 4 times in 4 months and had plans to use it again later this year. I will now, however, be strongly considering other places! My friend who was staying longer got an apology from the staff in Croydon, however upon my checkout I had no apologies of any variety for the disruption. I don't find that very professional at all, and if it had happened I might not have got this complaint sent in!

I'm hoping to hear from you soon, and it's worth mentioning that I'm sharing the exact wording of this complaint to fellow travellers. One of whom I know is already nervous that he'll have a disturbed sleep on his stay next month, and he specifically booked his stay (before my stay on this occasion began) because I gave easyHotel a glowing review on my 3 previous visits!

---

I don't personally expect anything out of them, potentially an apology for the disruption but that will be it. Who knows, an offer of a discount on a future stay may arrive? I genuinely will be looking elsewhere as well as easyHotel from now on, and the station bench thing was a genuine consideration on night 3. Well, I'd have set up camp on overnight Thameslink moves or similar, but I wasn't expecting the easyHotel staff to understand what that meant :lol:

If a meaningful reply arrives I'll let you all know. In the meantime, there's one other thing that needs sorting out before I go out for the afternoon. I cannot, however, remember what it was! Expect a mini trip report of some sort this evening too, but it really won't be a long read!
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
That looks very well written. Kipping on a station bench would be a cheap way and would save you a lot on trips to London!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
It wouldn't keep my phone charged mind ;)

Glad it came across as well written, and actually I've just remembered what I need to do today. The Delay Repay forms for the farce on Thameslink!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top