• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Jubilee Line on docklandslightrail.com contains malicious content

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
8 Dec 2006
Messages
961
Location
Costa Del Sheppey
I have found out that the Jubilee Line from docklandslightrail.com is infected with adware and therefore should not be downloaded and/or installed.

***The new Jubilee Line available from BVE Routes and Trains is not affected in any way, this only applies to the route available from docklandslightrail.com***

Thanks
Ryan

Mod comment: We can confirm that this route contains malicious content and advise not to download it. Please see http://www.trainsimcentral.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2688 for further information
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nath9425

Member
Joined
10 Nov 2006
Messages
759
Location
Milepost 84 Chiltern Mainline
:lol:

Well to be honest - That really doesn't surprise me...and infact makes me think that could of been the virus I had just after I had installed the demo :shock:

It was something to do with a lot of DLL's in the Windows\System32\ folder. So run a scan on these files. I had a major problem with a file called trz££.tmp The two pound signs relating to, every time I managed to delete it in Safe Mode - It went up a number from 1 to whatever...

But now they have all gone...so I blame DOCKLANDSLIGHTRAIL.COM for cocking up my PC.

Just leave us alone - Campaign To Shut Down The Site From Hosting BVE Content!
 

Jordy

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2005
Messages
8,466
Location
WCML South
The route does indeed contain malicious content.

This thread has been unlocked, however any further arguing, flaming or abusing of other members will result in infractions and locking of the thread as required.

Please behave
 
Last edited:
Joined
8 Dec 2006
Messages
961
Location
Costa Del Sheppey
Good idea Mike.

I wonder if other downloads such as the 1996TS have been checked?
Cos if the Jubilee has any malicious code, is it there in any of the files that I have downloaded and installed, if that is so, then there's gonna be a hell of a lot of trouble.
 
Joined
8 Dec 2006
Messages
961
Location
Costa Del Sheppey
No-one knows yet, the only advice we can give now if do not download anything from docklandslightrailway.com and delete and files you may have downloaded and/or installed from your hard drive.

Hopefully someone will keep updating this thread as and when more information is known.
 

class 313

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2005
Messages
6,475
Location
St Albans
DISCLAIMER -
Although every effort goes into ensuring uploads to this website are free of anything that could harm your computer, the owner of this website (James Galbraith), and anyone else who's work is hosted here, will not take any responsibility for any damage to your PC or health from your use of this website and it's downloads.
 

Gavelex

Member
Joined
9 Sep 2006
Messages
461
Location
london
I certainly didn't put anything in... could it be the free clickteam thingy? only difference I can think of....
 

5872

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2007
Messages
2,277
Location
A6-EHF
Ok Handbag owners and Nath, Lets not go to conclusions.

It has to be something with the server, the waterloo n city is fine, I will be looking into this.
 

Bighat

Member
Joined
19 Jul 2005
Messages
429
Location
Ilford
The 1996TS Seems clear to me.

It's funny how that disclaimer all of a sudden appears on this rather quickly designed website by the looks of things...

Err....the disclaimer WAS there from the start. I looked at the file before it was uploaded for general use, or should I say, cruxifiction!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ok Handbag owners and Nath, Lets not go to conclusions.

It has to be something with the server, the waterloo n city is fine, I will be looking into this.

Well said Fred!

However, don't think you'll find a problem with the server either.
 

FusionRail

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2007
Messages
960
Location
Shackerstone
For a start clickteam wouldnt have put anything into it, and personally i wouldnt trust that site anyway. Nohtign is spetl rihgt.
 

dan_atki

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2006
Messages
1,879
I assume you mean the deleted post before mine which had a TfL URL in it?

Typing docklandslightrailway.com into the address bar then pressing return funnily enough takes me to the official TfL DLR site. What happens when you type that address in?
 

Jordy

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2005
Messages
8,466
Location
WCML South
It should read docklandslightrail.com as dan_atki correctly states.

The title has been modified accordingly.
 

Bill EWS

Member
Joined
10 Feb 2006
Messages
673
Location
Didcot
I have been reading this thread with some interest as I downloaded the Jubilee Route when it was first published. I have checked my computer quite carefully and neither the AdAware, AOL Spware Protection or AGV programmes have found anything wrong. However, I have found a problem on my desktop, which I am note sure has anything to do with a virus or not! Over the last few days I have noticed that many of my files are showing with 'blue' text, while they should all be normal i.e. black! Does anyone know if this is a virus or if I may have changed something without realising it?

I have deleted the Jubilee Route from my hardrive and every file that I could find within the Route, Object and Sound folders that I think were related to that route. The blue text is still there.

Here is a screen grab of what I am getting. This is happeing with all folders on my computer.

StrangeFoldersBlueText.jpg


I also found some 'sound' files, which I couldn't work out if they were part of the Jubilee route, or not. They are folders with just a letter e.g. A, B, C, D etc for a name and there a number of them. Here a screen grab (above). Does anyone rcognise these folders and to what the belong to? The above shows the folders within the 'F' folder. Notice that there are a few files still with black text.

StrangeFolders.jpg

Above: These are the folders I found and have cut and pasted into a separate folder, for this example. Interesting in that they seem to all be in black text when cutting & pasting them in to the new folder!
 

Bayum

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2008
Messages
3,297
Location
Leeds
Ouch - bad memories of this on my laptop...

In the end, I deleted the virus with my antivirus programme, and yeah. Computers now in the scrapheap...
 

dan_atki

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2006
Messages
1,879
Hmmm - under XP blue text for file/folder names suggested that the drive was compressed. Black and blue can be mixed if the option to compress existing files is not used.

Simple check you can do is to go into My Computer, right click on your hard drive and select Properties. Under the pie chart will be the compressed option and will show whether the drive contents are compressed.

Not sure if this option uses the 'dot in a checkbox' though as this would imply only some files/folders are compressed as is what you're experiencing. But if the checkbox is not completely blank then that is the cause of your blue files.

Whilst it may slow down opening some files a bit, it frees up quite a bit of space on the disk.

However, if the box is completely blank then something more sinister is at play, unfortunately.
 

Bill EWS

Member
Joined
10 Feb 2006
Messages
673
Location
Didcot
I just remembered! a few days back I cleaned the hardrive and I remember it asking if I wanted to 'compress' unused files. Could this have something to do with it and also, can the files be uncompressed?
 

Bill EWS

Member
Joined
10 Feb 2006
Messages
673
Location
Didcot
Right! Thanks. But does that answer 'yes' it's files compressed or 'yes' I can uncompress them? If 'yes' to being able to uncompress the files, how do I do that?

Whatever, I have checked, particularily photo files and they have indeed been compressed somewhat, which proves all the other blue files are likewise. Luckily, I have lots of backup both on CD's and DVD data discs as well as my AOL XDrive Desktop so should be able to replace a fair amount of files. Another thing I can do, where I don't have backup is to open files in the graphic programme or MS Word or whatever and simply resave them by adding an a, or, b, etc to the filename and they will be resaved as normal. So, eventually I should be able to convert everything I feel is important enough to do so.

P.S. I checked the drive properties and the Compress box is clear (uncliked)
 

mbonwick

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2006
Messages
6,311
Location
Kendal
Bill,

The answer is yes to both.
To uncompress, highlight the file -->right click-->Properties --> Advanced --> Untick "Compress contents to save disk space"
 

FusionRail

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2007
Messages
960
Location
Shackerstone
Why make an installer with WinRar? Its easier for everyone to use the .exe files produced by say Clickteam and Nullsoft installer creators, providing you don't put viruses in them.
 

Gavelex

Member
Joined
9 Sep 2006
Messages
461
Location
london
Why make an installer with WinRar? Its easier for everyone to use the .exe files produced by say Clickteam and Nullsoft installer creators, providing you don't put viruses in them.

But I dont. The link given by TC said "not a virus - adware bla bla bla" :roll:

The only clickteam installer on the site was the Jubilee demo, I remade it with winrar and it is clear! IMO that tells me somthing about clickteam. Wont be using them again.

Why dont you complain about BRT and TSC using WinRar? :roll:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top