• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Journeying around the North (and a bit more)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
Yes okay it's a rubbish thread title, but I was struggling for anything good.....

Anyway, tomorrow I'll be heading off on 19 days of travel, mostly around the north of England. The original idea was to travel on every purple line shown on Northern Rail's Passenger Charter Map (which should be the same as the network map on their website) which has a timetabled Northern Rail passenger service, but it sort of evolved into a bit more.

There are four parts of the map I won't be covering as part of this trip, Styal-Heald Green and one of the curves at Earlestown, which don't appear to have any Northern Rail passenger services, Manchester United FC, which doesn't have a timetabled service (just specials on match days), and Chester-Runcorn, which only has a Summer Saturday service (and is therefore not in a timetable currently).

I figured I would have days with nowhere to go or really short travelling days, neither of which seemed worthwhile, so I have decided to add the Merseyrail network and the Grand Central network to keep me on the move.

The last three days is a mini trip I'm tagging on the end, which I'll put in this thread too, but I'll tell you about that when I get to it.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Day One

Day one was one of the last to be planned, but fitted best at the start. Originally it was supposed to have the Chester-Runcorn service, but, as I mentioned previously, that isn't currently running, so my day was mostly in Merseyside.

150276, advertising Yorkshire (or something like that anyway), got me into Lime Street at a reasonable 0943, about on time and in good time for my first connecting train. I noticed in the station a 142 with the destination blind wound to 'Lincoln', could it be that the driver has a very adventurous job card today :lol: . Two thirds of the units in Lime Street are 142s so it is no surprise that the 0955 Manchester Oxford Road service is a pair of them, 142048 and 142037.

I jump off at Hunts Cross and waiting for me is 508114 on the 1021 Southport service. The hour on board this service gives me plenty of time to have a cuppa tea out of my flask, not before time either.

I wouldn't normally advise short connection times but knowing the layout at Southport and guessing 508114 will get in early, I planned a three minute connection with the 1128 back to Hunts Cross. I don't go all the way back on 507015 though, with Liverpool Central still not having open platforms on the Northern Line, I change at Moorfields for 507005 for a trip down to New Brighton and back to Birkenhead North.

From there it's onto another 508, this time 508138, for a run to West Kirby, before heading back into Liverpool Lime Street. By the time I get there the tea drinking is getting to me and I have to find a loo, but despite this minor detour I'm making good time. Although I had added in time for delays, I haven't had any and I'm now 30 minutes ahead of schedule. 507016 is my next ride, taking me from Liverpool Lime Street all the way down to Ellesmere Port as the 1420 service.

I have a bit of a wait ahead of me at this point, though I was a little surprised to see 156423 turn up at about half three (I shouldn't have been it is a scheduled service), having not expected a Northern unit to show up until about 1600, being the only person on the platform I had to get on, but a very nice guard was on the train and, after I had told him I was heading to Warrington, he let me travel all the way to Helsby and back before even knowing what ticket I had (what a nice chap). It then formed the service I as really waiting for, the 1604 to Warrington Bank Quay.

The service really is under used (I was the only one on board the train all the way to Helsby) and a 156 is far to big for it, maybe a PPM would be good?, anyway, it's not the last I'll see of the 156 or it's guard today. From Bank Quay I head across town on foot, to Warrington Central where I have a few minutes to spare before 150149 arrives with the 1659 to Manchester Oxford Road. From there it heads back to Liverpool as the 1744 and I take it through to Hunts Cross. On the way, 156423 passes in the opposite direction, it obviously goes to Lime Street ECS from Warrington (why???). At Hunts Cross I cross over the foobridge ready for the 1843 to Oxford Road. 142038 is the unit in charge and it's guard is the friendly chap I spoke to earlier, I have to leave it after 20 minutes though as it arrives in Warrington Central and I have to hot foot it to Bank Quay for the 1922 to Lime Street.

I make it onto 156424 (or was it 427??) with a couple of minutes to spare, but in some ways I wish I hadn't. A 'man' was acting like a five year old with his 10 (ish) year old kids and it seems the Guard is less than happy with them too, though he doesn't say much (you could see it in his face). With the noise ever increasing I bail out at St Helens Junction, the one minute connection was a reason I wasn't going to change there, but I've already had enough of those 'passengers'.

Fortunately, the 1940 to Manchester Victoria is late by nine minutes and allows me a more relaxed connection. It's a 156 and 142 combination on this service and it gets me home for the night a little ahead of plan.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

43094

Member
Joined
19 May 2010
Messages
1,009
The 1922 ex WBQ was 156424.

The 1940 ex St Helens Junction was 156427 + 142056 if that helps.
 

Green Lane

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2010
Messages
334
Location
Birkenhead, Merseyside
Interesting report for me to read as it's in and around my local area. Thanks for posting.

Good to see someone else do the Ellesmere Port-Helsby run!

The most people I've seen on that service (including myself) was seven passengers and a dog, which was on a weekday. This was the 15:17 from Helsby on Tuesday 28th August. As the train rolled in on that occasion it had "Manchester Pic" on the destination blind. Understandably, another passenger asked me if this train was in fact going to Ellesmere Port. I assured her that it was!

IIRC it was a 156 on that occasion too, although I chose not to photograph it (Having already fanatically photographed this route this year :) )

I also remember that there were quite a few tickets from Mid-Cheshire line stations such as Knutsford strewn around the tables, which seems to confirm the theory that this service does work that line first before arriving at Helsby from Chester.

I am glad to report though that passengers are again able to sit on the bench at Helsby platform 4, thanks to the cutting back of the shrubbery which had engulfed it over the summer!

As for loud or unruly passengers. Nowadays, I tend to find myself whipping out my mp3 player within a matter of seconds on hearing any sort of profuse swearing or crying babies. Or if I've forgotten it and the train isn't packed like sardines, I'll just find myself making a beeline for the next carriage without too much hesitation. :D
 
Last edited:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
The 1922 ex WBQ was 156424.

The 1940 ex St Helens Junction was 156427 + 142056 if that helps.

Thanks, yes, that's exactly right, they were, thanks for jogging the grey cells (or even just telling me), knew 427 and 424 were used but couldn't remember which way round they were.

....As for loud or unruly passengers. Nowadays, I tend to find myself whipping out my mp3 player within a matter of seconds on hearing any sort of profuse swearing or crying babies. Or if I've forgotten it and the train isn't packed like sardines, I'll just find myself making a beeline for the next carriage without too much hesitation. :D

I had my Tablet playing music into my ears and it was still quite clear what he was saying.:o

Day Two

There was a change of plan for day two, I noticed on Thursday I'd somehow missed a spot of engineering work next weekend which means one of my chosen trains isn't running, so I had no option but to make track for it a week early.

150137 was my ride into Manchester Piccadilly and, although it is a little late arriving, it gives me a little over an hour to take a gentle walk to Victoria for the 1114 Leeds Service (this was on the original plan for the day fortunately). It's 150226 that will take me to Leeds and it makes good time. For those of you who might perhaps be following this with a map, it goes via Bradford Interchange. It also stops in front of my next train, but I have half an hour here so I find the facilities and afterwards test my tablet's video ability with a shot of a 225 leaving the station for Kings Cross (I'm not quite sure yet how it has come out though).

158816 is my next unit, forming the 1315 to Carlisle. I have to say I was expecting a bit more from the scenery on the Settle-Carlisle route, given how much it is talked about, but maybe I was expecting too much from it. It is the perfect day to see it though, clear blue skies. I arrive at Carlisle just in time to see EC's 43317 (leading) and 43251 (trailing) on a diverted Newcastle bound train. It seems I have some luck on my side today as a Charter is due into Carlisle while I am there, 47854 and 47826 top and tail 'The Statesman' which is heading south from the north.

I was rather hoping to see more of the East Coast diversions, but there are no more before 156443 arrives to form the 1741 to Blackpool North, which I have to board. The sun is setting as it heads towards Dent and the last off the light for the day is lost. The 'ramblers' on the train are obviously well known to each other, so it is possibly the weirdest train journey I have ever been on, everybody knows everybody, some didn't even know they knew each other until they start talking, but they did, commenting on old times they shared, it was so bizarre!

It's almost a shame to leave the train at Blackburn, but I have to take a different route here and the last Dalesrail service of the year slips off into the night. I have another wait for my next service, the 2103 Manchester Victoria service, and it's another 156, 156425. Again I'm not going all the way I want to get to Oxford Road for a rail replacement bus service home so it's off the 156 at Bolton and a short wait for the 2135 service to Manchester.

This might have been a mistake, I realise quickly after the 156425 leaves that the 2135 is a TPE service rather than Northern Rail, it turns out not a big drama though, the mention of a staff pass and the guard is happy for me to go to Oxford Road.

My luck for today has run out though, 185120 arrives at Salford Crescent 3 minutes late and my slim hopes of making a 1 minute connection in Manchester look non-existant. So I get off at Deansgate and head for the tram, it may cost more for me, but the 45 minutes earlier I arrive home make it worthwhile tonight.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Day Three

Day three began just after 7am with 156460 giving me a lift to Liverpool Lime Street. With platforms closed at Liverpool Central and James Street, I had to walk over to Moorfields (a little tricky when you don't know where you are going) or go to Birkenhead and back to get to the Northern Line. I took the walking option and managed what I consider to be a be a good time, platform to platform, of 12 minutes. Quick enough to get on the 0828 Ormskirk service, formed of 508108 and 507017.

It gives me a very comfortable 19 minutes to walk down to the Northern Rail end of the platform to get on board 150138, which today is forming the 0917 to Preston.

At Preston I get a leisurely walk across the station to platform 1 where 156426 picks me up for a trip to Blackpool South. It makes good time and so do I walking across to North station in just under 30 minutes, perfect timing for 150138 and 156472 to take me back to Preston at 1120. From there it's down to Lancaster on board 185104, to join 150206 on the 1228 Heysham Port service.

I have a choice to have a few hours in Morecambe or Lancaster. I choose Lancaster for the potential railway activity, although there isn't a great deal as it transpires, 47854 and 47826 pass through on their way back to Carnforth and 66428 drags a collection of loaded container flats northwards, but that aside its all the usual units.

Finally, I get to board the 1604 back to Morecambe, 150225, along with what, in my head at least, could be the entire child population of Bare Lane on their trip home from school. There is method in the madness of going back to Morecambe though, the 1604 forms the 1619 Leeds service which does not go back to Lancaster, instead taking the direct curve between Bare Lane and Carnforth.

It seems like a long slog to Leeds but eventually, at 1815, it arrives on Platform 1. A quick scan of the departure board reveals my next train, the 1832 to Sheffield, leaves from the other side of the station, platform 17, and it is formed of 144015. It heads out to Castleford and then down through Barnsley, taking just under 85 minutes.

It gives me with 20 minutes at Sheffield to find my last train of the day, the 2015 Goole service, which, if you are following this on a map, goes via Rotherham Central and arrives in Doncaster at 2055, where I bid the railway farewell for the day, it's time to catch on some sleep!.
 

Green Lane

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2010
Messages
334
Location
Birkenhead, Merseyside
Just for info, until the Northern Line platforms re-open at Liverpool Central, you can catch the free rail-replacement bus service (red bus) from outside the front of Lime Street station (St George's plateau, just over the road).
It's just one stop on this service to Moorfields.

Although in all honesty, by the time you've waited for the bus and it's stopped at various traffic lights in the city centre etc.. it's usually just as quick to walk it. Which probably explains why the service has been very little used.

Still, I've occasionally found it handy when the weather's been appalling.
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
Day Four

Day four begin just after 8am with 142026 forming the 0803 Scunthorpe service, though I noted as I boarded it, a 225 set running south with the 91, blunt end first, leading the DVT, not an everyday scene, so presumably the DVT had a fault.

The trip to Scunthorpe was uneventful, but whilst waiting there for the return working a DBS liveried 60 ran light through the station followed by an EWS livery 66 with coal hoppers. The station doesn't have a bay platform at the right end so the 142 shunts into a disused bay at the eastern end to allow a couple of TPE services through before shunting back into the station to form the 0919 service back towards Doncaster.

I get back on the 142 for a ride to Hatfield and Stainforth to pick up the 1002 to Hull, formed of 1586791 today. It's a short visit to Hull, just twenty minutes before 158903 is ready to leave as the 1114 to Scarborough. I note it has TPE crew, I don't remember that being the case earlier in the year, maybe they share the duties on this line??? I head off into Scarborough town for the 45 minutes or so that the 158 sits there and get back in good time to be on the 1328 back to Hull.

It's not such good going when I get back to Hull though, 142015 arrives late and, despite the best efforts of the crew to get the 1502 ready to depart at 1504, the signaller has chosen to hold us to let the 1510 Kings Cross service out first, making our departure 10 minutes late. The now delayed 1502 to York doesn't make good time either and it's 13 minutes late by Selby, where I leave it.

It means I have missed my intended connection, the 1541 to Leeds, by eight minutes, so I settle for 170306 on the 1611 Manchester service to Leeds. This does allow me to make my next connection, though in hindsight it might have been better to miss the 1716 to Goole, it's a busy train and 144014 isn't really big enough.

I arrive at Goole on time and get over to the opposite platform ready for the 1856, which is still half an hour away, when 150/2 pulls in headed for Sheffield, I can only presume it is the 1819 running late. The guard confirms for me it is going to Doncaster so I climb aboard.

My day's journey ends at Doncaster, but not before I spy a FGE livery 321 coming into the sidings, on the western side of the station, from the north. I haven't identified it yet, but I presume it is here to visit Wabtec.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Day Five

It was a slightly later start today with the 0826 Doncaster-Leeds service, and as it happens, my first ever trip on a 322 (I've seen them all at either Liverpool Street or Euston, but never been on one), 322481 was the unit in question and it was....well....pretty much like a 321, with pink vestibules and yellow handrails. It also got me to Leeds on time at 0914, giving me around fifteen minutes to find the 0932 Ilkley service and, not unlike waiting for buses, that also produced a 322, 322484 (it also has too much pink and yellow inside).

From Ilkley I head to Bradford Forster Square on board the 1021 service, another first for me, I've never been on a 333 either and 333002 is my ride for this service. I've grown used to the outer looks of the 333s (and 332s) over time, but inside it's like the designer wasn't sure what to do. Anyway, at Bradford Forster Square I have 20 minutes to wait for a Skipton service, the 1111 in the hands of 333015. I'm not going far on it though, just to Saltaire where I wait for the 1140 back to Leeds and that is formed of 333008.

During my 40 minute wait at Leeds for the 1241 to York, 66054 pulls through with six bogie tank wagons (TEAs I think), which I later discover were destined for Neville Hill, this must be one of the few freight trains through Leeds station. Eventually though 158759 arrives from Blackpool and takes me over to York. I have an hour or so at York, so I nip into the NRM, it was a quick visit as the Art Gallery and Station Hall are closed, but I did donate all the loose change I have on me, though to be fair, I don't think they'll get far on 53p, but I don't get paid until Friday so they'll have to make do for now.

Back at York station I board the 1501 to Sheffield, it's one of only two services each day to make the 86 minute journey via Pontefract Baghill (there are two return services also) and today it is 144001 making the trip. From Sheffield I take 150116 to Huddersfield (1636 service), which goes over the Penistone line.

142041 and 142032 arrive at Huddersfield to form the 1804 to Manchester Victoria, but soon after boarding the doors shut and the crew start trying to couple up, I assumed it was just to try to cure some issue by uncoupling and re-coupling the units, and it seems they are having trouble coupling. The train is 3 minutes overdue before the announcement is made that they are having a problem, but it shouldn't be long, we end up leaving about six minutes late. Though the delay is not actually a problem for me today, the signaller decides to let a Transpennine Express 185 pass at Marsden, delaying us a bit more.

Arrival at Victoria was about 10 minutes late and it is here that I see the crew were actually coupling 142011 to the rear of the train, rather than sorting out something on 041/032. My last train of the day takes me home for the night, the 1939 in the hands of 156428.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Day Six

It was an early start with me on the 0648 arrival into Manchester Victoria on board 150203 (with 150147 tagged on the back). I waited for the 0717 Blackpool North service and with 150228 arriving in the platform five minutes before departure I climbed on board. The dispatcher blew his whistle to get the attention of the Guard bang on time, but something wasn't right, he went to the rear cab and moments later walked to the front of the train. I instantly knew what was going on, there was no Guard.

It wasn't until 0720 that an announcement was made, the train was cancelled due to 'a shortage of train crew', everyone got off and the 150 rolled out of the station, presumably to get to Blackpool for the return working. We were advised to get on the 0723 Blackburn service, 142012, and if going beyond Bolton change there. I had to be in Preston for a set time though, things were looking bad. Fortunately there was a Transpennine Express service due, 185125 on the 0759 from Bolton, which got me into Preston at 0822, just in time for my next train.

There aren't many Northern Rail trains going north from Preston, but the 0838 Preston-Carlisle service is one of them. Thankfully they have 156424 on the service, four hours on anything else could be considered, by some, to be torture! There is more concern on this service though, as, at Ravenglass, the driver notices the fuel filler cap on 57424 is open. It seems as though he and operations control are happy to continue the service and he closes the cap before dispatching the train.

Despite this minor delay, arrival at Carlisle is on time, 1238. From here I have a choice of three trains, but as there are problems to the north due to overhead line issues, I decide to leave the first, the 1330 Newcastle service, to see what is happening. It is quite busy on the freight front with 66008 heading south on what appears to be an overhead line train of some sort, a Colas 66 heading south with a timber train (and a rather amusing upside down 'this way up' crudely written on the dirty cabside) and 66553, 66953 and 66595 heading north on coal trains.

The arrival of Scotrail's 156430 on the 1433 Newcastle service convinces me that it is time to head towards the East Coast (my third option was the 1521 to Middlesbrough). I really wish more 'local' train companies would have seats like 156430 has, nice and comfy. I have a bit of a wait at Newcastle for the 1715 Chathill service, but as this is one of just two Northern Rail services daily going that far north, I have little choice in the matter. 156469 arrives and departs on time and even with waits in two loops on route for 'intercity' services to pass, we arrive very slightly early.

There is a crossover just before Chathill, but it appears that the signalbox is locked out at this time of night (maybe forever??) so the 156 has to go north to change tracks and come back. As my 40 minute wait for it to return goes on the light fades and it becomes very clear that the station lights are not working, infact, by the time 156469 returns for the 1910 to Newcastle, the station is almost in complete darkness.

The guard tells me this is not common though, so maybe just a cloudy sky and the nights getting earlier as winter draws in that are to blame. Arrival back in Newcastle is on time and this is where my day ends.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Day Seven

Day seven was a chance to get away from the north for a short while, and it was a late start which afforded me a lie-in. I got to Newcastle station in time for the 1130 Middlesbrough service. It was formed of 142087, which I took to Sunderland.

Sunderland station is a little odd in that, whilst is has four platforms, it only really has two, and you can't even say it has even numbers at one end and odd at the other, platform 1 is opposite platform 4 and platform 2 opposite platform 3. Of course this information is kind of pointless when your train takes up two of the platforms, 1 and 2 in my case.

I waited for the 1228 Kings Cross service, with 43465 leading and 43423 at the rear which would take me to London. It must only have been about ten minutes out of Sunderland when the train came to a stand. After a few more minutes the announcement was made that the train had hit something on the line and the driver was having to make some checks of the line and train. We were at a stand for about 35 minutes before we got moving again, only to be stopped again just before Hartlepool. The extra delay, apparently due to signalling issues, amounted to about ten minutes, making the train 45 minutes late. The reason for the delay was now 'vandals'.

Time keeping did appear to be an issue as we dropped a further 10 minutes at York as the announcers, train and station staff and the monitors did their best to tell people the train was not the 1455 East Coast service, though I think many didn't listen, with some nearly being locked on board.

We did have some good running south of York though, catching up around 20 minutes, which goes to show how much slack there really is in the timetable.

Despite the good running from York, my 40 minute lunch break was reduced to nothing as I waited for the train to return as the inevitably late 1648 to Sunderland (my pass isn't valid on the 1918 on a Friday). It left 25 minutes late with 43123 now leading, though I note the reason for delay has changed again, this time to 'trespassers', I'm beginning to wonder if they know why their own train was actually delayed.

There doesn't appear to be much slack in the northbound run as we arrive at Eaglescliffe 15 minutes late, just late enough to miss the 1946 service to Saltburn, so I settle for the 2008 Middlesbrough service, 142079, to complete my day's travelling.
 
Last edited:

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
1,432
Location
South Liverpool
Just for info, until the Northern Line platforms re-open at Liverpool Central, you can catch the free rail-replacement bus service (red bus) from outside the front of Lime Street station (St George's plateau, just over the road).
It's just one stop on this service to Moorfields.

Although in all honesty, by the time you've waited for the bus and it's stopped at various traffic lights in the city centre etc.. it's usually just as quick to walk it. Which probably explains why the service has been very little used.

Still, I've occasionally found it handy when the weather's been appalling.

So YOU'RE the person who uses that bus? :P
 

Green Lane

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2010
Messages
334
Location
Birkenhead, Merseyside
So YOU'RE the person who uses that bus? :P

Firstly I apologise to hairyhandedfool for the slight thread diversion. I am still reading your trip reports in this thread, I should say excellent reading and I look forward to the next report!

To reply to your post though ChrisTheRef, yes I've been on the rail-replacement bus on several occasions, I've done the full circle a few times. But more for the novelty value than anything (as a long-time hiker I certainly don't need to use it). It's almost like a free tour bus though, without the open top. I've also done the Brunswick route too. :D You may have seen another thread on these forums somewhere earlier this year, where I posted some pics of one of the buses in Liverpool, and a pic I found of the same bus, previously running in London.

I walk under Churchill Way going to work every morning and I almost always see the rail-replacement pass across the flyover. I usually do see a handful of people on it then, presumably going to work (around 07:40am). But apart from that I have to completely agree with your point that the service has been staggeringly underused!
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
Firstly I apologise to hairyhandedfool for the slight thread diversion. I am still reading your trip reports in this thread, I should say excellent reading and I look forward to the next report!....

Thanks, and don't worry about it, it happens in threads.

Were there many passengers going through to Chathill?

As far as I know three got off, including me, and one got back on, again including me.:lol:

Day Eight

It was an early start from Middlesbrough today, I arrived at the station in good time for the 0647 Newcastle service, formed of 142092, which runs via Darlington and Chester-le-Street. It's one of only a few each day that go via the East Coast Mainline, but all the others aren't very well timed for my needs.

At Newcastle I have just under half an hour before the 0830 Middlesbrough service, talk about going round in circles! As you might expect in this neck of the woods, it's another 142, 142026, and it connects with yet another 142 at Middlesbrough, this time I'm back on board 142087 for the 1022 Bishop Auckland service which is very busy today for some reason. It works back as the 1125 to Saltburn, but I get off at Shildon as I hear there is a Model Rail Exhibition there this weekend, oh, and apparently there are a couple of expats there.

With the service being bi-hourly, I settle for a four hour break, taking in all the model railway stalls and layouts and the various attractions around the site. The two A4s are parked up outside '8: The Collection', but are quite annoyingly parked up infront of LEV 1 and the only photo spot for the steamers is the path to the main shed building. It doesn't make for great photos, particularly as I think they are too close together for solo shots and too far apart for a good shot of the pair, but I think I get some reasonable photos. I also made up for my small donation at York earlier in the week with another one while I am there.

After a good look around I head back to the station for the 1530 to Saltburn which is in the hands of 142068. I stay on board for the return working, the 1658, as far as Middlesbrough. My run of 142s ends here though, my final unit for the day is 156481, working the 1740 Whitby and 1915 return. There is a minor concern as apparently the toilet is blocked and so it seems we have to suffer a wait at Glaisdale for some women to go to the toilet there. The train is 20 minutes down on arrival at Whitby and despite only leaving 15 late, we get back to Middlesbrough the around 20 minutes late at about nine o'clock.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Day Nine

As mentioned in day two, I had some last minute changing of plans because I missed some engineering work. I had planned that today I would head back home via Carlisle and Clitheroe, but inside I went south, to get over some lines I had originally planned to do last weekend.

The first train of the day was 142094 on the 1131 to Metrocentre, which I took for the short trip to Stockton. I had a twenty four minute wait there for the 1205 Darlington service which goes round the curve Grand Central use to get between Hartlepool and Eaglescliffe, there aren't many Northern services that do this, today it was formed of 142087.

I was there nearly an hour and saw 43465 and 43423 heading north to Sunderland, before the 1302 Kings Cross service arrived. It was 180114, I don't recall having travelled on a 180 before and I know I will again, but on the inside, the family ties with the 175s are very clear.

I travel on the 180 as far as York where I have a tight four minute connection which I must make. Fortunately the announcer at York is on the ball and has made it clear the 1352 to Blackpool North is over the bridge on platform 6. Things are never quite that simple on the railway though and it becomes clear that the train is not the 158 at the buffers but actually another 158 beyond it. I make it aboard 158906 with about a minute to spare.

I decide to leap off (not literally) at Leeds to pick up the 1454 to Manchester Victoria, 150113. There is plenty of time for this connection and also plenty of time in Manchester. From Victoria I take quite a leisurely stroll over to Piccadilly for the 1704 to Crewe, formed of 323232. I have a choice here and it is clear that waiting for a Northern rail service will add two hours to my day, so get onboard Virgin Trains' 1813 service for a sixteen minute ride back to Wilmslow, it is my first trip on an 11 car Pendilino, but coach E of 390129 looks no different to how it did before the two extra coaches were added (the extra coaches are F and U [snigger]).

I have a little over twenty minutes at Wilmslow and see my other choice of train pull in, the Arriva Trains Wales service (1826 from Crewe), which is formed of a 150/2 and a 153, I'm pretty sure the 153 was 153353, but I couldn't identify the 150 from where I was sitting.

My next train wasn't far behind, the 1854 service to Manchester Piccadilly in the hands of 323234, which I take to Manchester Airport. These services are every two hours, so you can see where the delay would have come from had I waited at Crewe for the Northern Rail service. At the Airport I wait for 156483 on the 1935 Liverpool Lime Street service, which takes me home for the night.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Day Ten

Day Ten began early on 142014 (with 156425 locked OOU on the rear) with the 0648 arrival at Manchester Victoria. From here I had a few options, but as there was no real difference between them I opted for the first, 150132 on the 0701 Southport service, to get me to Salford Crescent in time for the 0737 Wigan North Western service (150214). This in turn connected with 0831 to Preston, which was formed of 156423.

I had a 30 minute wait for the 0922 service to Colne, during which I observed a rather bizarre platform alteration causing 156423, now headed back to Liverpool, to leave northwards from Preston platform 1A, after the 0902 Blackpool South service was switched from platform 2 to 1B, and run south through platform 2.

142011 was my ride to Colne and I stayed on board for the 1050 return working, getting off at Accrington. I just missed the 1117 York service, so I went to find some food and came back for the 1217. It was 158860, which I alighted at Leeds. From there I boarded 144021 (1413 Manchester Victoria) and headed for Mirfield.

I waited on Platform 3 at Mirfield for the 1458, which as it happened was the right idea (there were no signs to say what platform to go to) and I was able to board 158817 for the short trip to Huddersfield and then found out it formed my next service, the 1523 Leeds service, which I took to Brighouse. I had fifteen minutes there before 142056 arrived on the 1549 service (which I believe goes to Victoria), taking me to Sowerby Bridge. From there it is the 1610 Leeds service to Halifax, formed of 158757.

I had an hour nearly before my next train, giving me time to find some dinner, but when I got back I realised a mistake in my plan, I had thought the 1706 Wakefield Westgate service avoided Huddersfield when in fact it doesn't. I'll be visiting this area again, so it's not a big problem, but i would have been nice to get it right first time.

The 1706 is formed of 150205 and it takes me to Wakefield Kirkgate, where I wait for the 1833 Knottingley service, formed of 150111, to take me to Pontefract Monkhill. This leaves me with two more trains today, neither cover new ground though. The 1925 (from Monkhill) Leeds service (via Castleford) is formed of 150268 and the 2020 Leeds-Doncaster is 322481. My day ends at Doncaster.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Day Eleven

The day started aboard 321903, the 0826 Doncaster-Leeds service, which I rode throughout and connected with the 0929 Leeds-York (via Harrogate) service formed of 142086 and 144009. At York I made my way over to platform 1 for 158784 and the 1100 service to Selby (via Sherburn-in-Elmet). At Selby I had an hour to kill, so went looking for some food, though I couldn't see a lot of choice.

I returned to Selby station in time for the 1238 service to York (via the ECML), which turns up 142021. Upon arrival back at York I find I have a choice of the 1311 Leeds (via Harrogate) or the delayed 1309 Blackpool North. As I have covered both routes already, I pick the 1309 as it gives me more room for delay, even though it is ten minutes late already. It is formed of 158790 and despite having to wait for a Transpennine Express service at Church Fenton, is still ten minutes late at Leeds, where I leave it.

I take the 1437 Sheffield service (via Woodlesford but not Castleton), with 158794 in charge, to Wakefield Kirkgate, and change for another 158, 158757, on the 1505 to Wakefield Westgate. The next part of my trip takes me back to Brighouse (via Wakefield Kirkgate and Huddersfield) aboard the 1539 Bramley service, for which 158757 returns.

It is there that I pick up the 1658 Leeds service, 144012, which goes via Mirfield, but avoids Huddersfield, completing what I meant to complete yesterday. This gets me back to Leeds at 1731, in time for the 1746 to Selby. Things aren't going to plan here today though, there has been a fatality at South Milford, so Northern hold the 1746 for ten minutes and have arranged a bus replacement for South Milford.

The bus replacement doesn't affect me directly, but the added time at Micklefield, while the guard goes through 158843 to make sure everyone wanting South Milford is off the train, doesn't help the time keeping. I had only five minutes connection at Selby and there is no longer any hope of making that unless by some chance this unit forms the 1826 to Doncaster.

Sadly it doesn't (apparently the 1826 comes from Scarborough), so I decided to remain on board 158843 and head back to Leeds (1843 Wakefield Westgate service). There is a small delay heading back to Leeds which is enough for me to miss the 1920 Doncaster service (which I imagine was 321903), so I find some more food and wait for the 2020 service. On the plus side, this does cross off another 322 for me, 322482, and I end the day back at Doncaster, some 150 minutes after I had planned to be back.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Day Twelve

Today's plan was to head out of Northernland again, on Grand Central's other route, I had planned to spend a few hours in London with a friend I hadn't seen for a while but this didn't happen for two reasons. The first was that the friend hasn't answered his phone in three days and the second is that I wouldn't be back in time to cover the line I missed yesterday.

So I got to Doncaster station in time for the 0831 service to Kings Cross, which was formed of 180112 and was, as you might expect, quite busy. The unit gets into Kings Cross about on time and I have about 30 minutes to have a quick look around, though there is little to see here, apart from maybe ten coffee shops (why do we need so many coffee shops??). The return working is the 1048 and I stay on board all the way to Bradford Interchange.

At Bradford I have ten minutes to find my way to platform one, which is about seven more than I need, to catch the 1405 to Leeds (142067). I have a couple of hours to kill here before I need to be heading to Selby, so I opt for a short ride to Sandal & Agbrigg on the 1520 Doncaster service, which is formed on 321901, the only 321/9 I have never traveled on. It arrives a little under 15 minutes before the 1550 to Leeds, on the opposite platform, which produces 322485.

Back at Leeds I have an hour before the 1715 service to Selby, I decided it was a good idea to get the earlier train to Selby, rather than risk a missed connection again. 158905 and 153358 form the Selby service and they are pretty full as we leave Leeds a minute or two late. As we approach South Milford the Guard announces that if anyone is going to the exit on the opposite side of the station via the foot crossing (a bit like a Barrow Crossing) they should wait for the green light to show (it is red when trains are approaching), which I think suggests a possible cause of the fatality yesterday.

At Selby it becomes clear my choice to get here early was the right one, the 1746 from Leeds is nearly ten minutes late, meaning I would have missed the train again. The 1826 Sheffield service is 158849 today and it gets me back to Doncaster for the end of my traveling today.
 
Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
Interesting reading. I'd like to reply to more, but with a lack of time, I have picked a couple of things out.

I waited on Platform 3 at Mirfield for the 1458, which as it happened was the right idea (there were no signs to say what platform to go to) and I was able to board 158817 for the short trip to Huddersfield and then found out it formed my next service, the 1523 Leeds service, which I took to Brighouse.

I agree the signage at Mirfield isn't ideal. There are signs, but they are on the roadside, advising of the platforms but nothing on the platforms themselves (I guess it isn't intended as an interchange station!)

The 14:58 from Mirfield is also the "grand tour" service and goes from Wakefield Westgate to Leeds (and beyond) via Wakefield Kirkgate, Huddersfield and Bradford Interchange. As a result of which it is often advertised as the service to one of those points to prevent people thinking it will get from, say, Mirfield to Leeds in less than an hour!

The 15:08 after it would have been the Leeds - Huddersfield all shacks.

(Local station so I know the timetable too well already, even though it has only been local for a few months!)

At Bradford I have ten minutes to find my way to platform one, which is about seven more than I need, to catch the 1405 to Leeds (142067)

I guess you came in on platform 2? Hopefully they didn't repeat what myself and other form members saw the other week when the GC came in on platform 1 instead, then, rather than replatforming the Selby train (the "grand tour" and our next service) onto platform 2, they shunted the GC out of platform 1 and into the siding next to it. Not seen such stupidity for some time!
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
....I guess you came in on platform 2?....

It wasn't platform 1 that the 180 came in on, platform 2 sounds right. The 180 remained in the platform whilst I was there.

Day Thirteen

My time in West Yorkshire is nearly up, I have one more bit of line to cover, so I set about that task first. I'm on the 0826 from Doncaster again, though this time it won't take me to Leeds. As I walk down the platform to it, I can see by the livery it is a 322, I hoped it might be 483 as this is now the last of the class I have not been on, it turns out to be 322481 though.

I get off the train at Fitzwilliam to get the 0914 Sheffield train, it is slightly late, but that's not a worry, the unit on this service is 144001. At Sheffield I must admit I got a smidgen confused in trying to find platform 2c for the 1014 to Manchester Piccadilly (via Brinnington). It turns out it is at the opposite end to where you would initially think it is, especially if you arrive from the north.

The train is formed of 150138 and despite the trip being shorter than a few I have been on in the past two weeks (about an hour and a half), it seems to take forever! It arrives on time in Manchester though, 1132, and on platform 1. I notice the 1136 to Rose Hill (via Guide Bridge) is on platform 2 as we pull in and I make a swift walk for it.

It is 142041 and 142005 and I make it, just in time. I had planned on having to wait an hour, not knowing which platform the train would be on, so I'm happy to be one hour ahead, although I know it won't affect the time I finish the day because of a service I'm on later.

The 1136 returns as the 1230 to Piccadilly, with an arrival time of 1302 I have plenty of time to find my next train. It's the 1317 to Chester (via Altrincham) and it's 150138 again, only now on platform 11. Apparently there have been problems on the line today, a broken down freight train, I guess I am lucky this unit has been elsewhere so far.

At Chester I head along to the Merseyrail platform, 7b, to finish off that network today with the two remaining lines I haven't covered. 508104 pulls in to form the 1501 to Liverpool Central. As we pull in to Moorfields, where I plan to change lines, there is a 3-3 on the bell/buzzer, it bearly registers in my brain at first, but then the sound of the fire alarm in the station penetrates the train and everything clicks. a minute later the conductor announces that no-one will be allowed off and the train is going on to Lime Street.

It is at this point I am greatful for the extra hour I have due to taking that 1136 train earlier. At Lime Street I try to find a member of Metrolink staff, but, having taken the 'way out' to the mainline station, I have bypassed the information point and there are no staff on the barrier.

Entering the main station I go to the Virgin office where they are, quite predictably, unaware of the problem. So, with no access to the Northern line at Liverpool Central, I appear to be snookered. I head back to Moorfields on foot, I'm actually quite glad I did that walk on day one now, I know exactly where to go and I'm back where I should be in no time.

When I reach Moorfields it seems the station has very recently opened again as many people are funnelling in. They have a sort of crowd control measure in place, forming queues for trains to Southport, Ormskirk and Hunts Cross, just one problem, I'm not going to any of them. I decide the best course of action is to get to Kirkdale on an Ormskirk train, and fortunately that is the first train I hear announced.

507019 and 508112 form the service and it is a relief to get out of the mounting heat at Moorfields (from lots of people standing around) and into the cool air of Kirkdale just down the line. On arrival at Kirkdale I note a Kirkby train is following a couple of minutes behind, so I won't have long to wait here to continue my journey. It is 508124 that pulls in, and whilst I can't say what the service is, it is atlleast going the right way.

My hour of safety cushion has become an extra ten minutes at Kirkby, before the 1730 to Manchester Victoria arrives in the form of 142028. I go as far as Wigan Wallgate on this service and then walk across to Northwestern.

I have a full 24 minutes between trains, which is plenty for this short walk. From there I board 142055, the 1821 Liverpool Lime Street service, for a ten minute ride to Newton-le-Willows, this was the important service time wise, with services running twice daily in only one direction (the other being at 0647).

This does leave me 45 minutes to wait for my last train today, the 1922 Manchester Victoria service, but I fill that time looking at the pictures/posters in the waiting room which are about aspects of the history of the Chat Moss route and the Vulcan Foundry. There is also plenty of time to read the replica of the memorial plaque in the stairwell before 142064 arrives to take me home for the night.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Day Fourteen

It's yet another early start and arrival at Manchester Victoria at 0648 on board a 142. from there I walked over to Manchester Piccadilly ready for the 0718 service to Glossop (via Hadfield) and 0758 return, which is formed of 323236. 150142 and 150203 are my next trains, forming the 0852 Buxton service, but, as some of you might be expecting, I get off at Stockport for the Fridays only 0922 Stalybridge service. Today 142055 is in use on the service, with 150148 tagged on the rear out of use.

From Stalybridge I head back into Manchester Victoria on board 142009 and trudge back over to Piccadilly (Only because Northern don't run Stalybridge-Piccadilly). Once back at Piccadilly I head for 156489 and the 1052 Buxton service and 1225 return, though I get off at Stockport on the way back. I head back south to Stoke-on-Trent next, on 323228, and return back to Stockport, before going for some food.

I return to the station for the 1735 Chinley service (via Hazel Grove) which sees me back on 142055, though this time it is accompanied by 142035. It was a few minutes late due to a failed train at Piccadilly, which is affecting most services.

It is a little fortunate that my next service is also coming from Piccadilly, though the announcement at Chinley is incorrect. They announced the 1820 Northern service, which had me worried as this misses my connection, but into sight comes the 1809 EMT service to Nottingham, it's 158773 and 158799, and they are rather full.

I had expected a 158 for my remaining journeys, with just one more unit to use. It forms the 1906 to Nottingham (via Alfreton) and 2045 to Sheffield (via Derby), but tonight it was 150139. Arrival back at Sheffield is slightly early at 2152 and I call it a night here.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Day Fifteen

This is the penultimate day of my trips round the north and it starts in Sheffield with the 0941 to Lincoln Central. When a 158 pulls down the platform I negin to think I could be in for a nice comfy ride, but 142068 pulls in a few minutes later and the announcements confirm it's my train.

The hour and a half on the 142 pass fairly uneventfully and I am left with 20 minutes at Lincoln to have a look around, it's surprising how many 153s operate round here, with no less than four in the station during my brief visit. 142068 forms the 1125 service to Adwick and takes me back to Retford.

I have 45 minutes at Retford and settle on the path between platforms 1 and 4 which has a nice view of the ECML. The time passes with more Grand Central services passing than any other operator and they don't half fly through Retford! There was a suicidal cat too, making a move across the running lines not long before an East Coast service blasts through, I didn't see the cat get across the track, but I didn't hear it get hit either, so I can only assume it made it.

I can't stay here all day though, I go down to platform 4 for the 1245 service to Cleethorpes. It is another 142, this time 142026. I made a cuppa as we arrived at Gainsborough, which was a mistake, the track is rough and a 142 is hardly a smooth ride at the best of times. I managed to save most of the tea and avoid scolding anything vital though. So a note, if you go down this line, don't make a cuppa 'til well after Gainsborough!

At Cleethorpes I trade the 142 for 153316, running as the 1500 to Barton-on-Humber and 1554 return to Cleethorpes. I get off at Habrough on the return trip in the hopes the 1609 EMT service is running late so can get a connection at Barnetby, it isn't, so I'm forced to wait for 185145 on the 1744 Manchester Airport service (the 1644 doesn't stop on a Saturday). It's not a bad place to wait, but it's not good either, there is just nothing there.

The 185 takes me to Doncaster where I have ten minutes to connect with the 1848 to Sheffield. It is 158784 and, for those following this on a map, it avoids Rotherham Central. I could maybe make it home tonight, but I decide to stay in Sheffield another night, besides, there is a lovely view of Sheffield on the walk back to the hotel (well, it's dark, if it doesn't look good now it never will! :lol:).
 

34D

Established Member
Joined
9 Feb 2011
Messages
6,048
Location
Yorkshire
At Selby I had an hour to kill, so went looking for some food, though I couldn't see a lot of choice.

There is an excellent cafe in the bus station (adjoining the rail station).

I take the 1437 Sheffield service (via Woodlesford but not Castleton), with 158794 in charge, to Wakefield Kirkgate

And also not Castleford, which I think is what you meant :)

It is there that I pick up the 1658 Leeds service, 144012, which goes via Mirfield, but avoids Huddersfield, completing what I meant to complete yesterday.

Hmmm, I also need to travel on this train 2U19, as from Sowerby Bridge to Brighouse (in that direction) is one of the few bits in my native West Yorkshire I need. I didn't actually know there was an afternoon service, as when Brighouse opened this section of track (in this direction) was morning peak only.

This gets me back to Leeds at 1731, in time for the 1746 to Selby. Things aren't going to plan here today though, there has been a fatality at South Milford, so Northern hold the 1746 for ten minutes and have arranged a bus replacement for South Milford.

The bus replacement doesn't affect me directly, but the added time at Micklefield, while the guard goes through 158843 to make sure everyone wanting South Milford is off the train, doesn't help the time keeping. I had only five minutes connection at Selby and there is no longer any hope of making that unless by some chance this unit forms the 1826 to Doncaster.

Can you advise (just for interest) whether this train went non-stop through South Milford, or reversed at Church Fenton?

The return working is the 1048 and I stay on board all the way to Bradford Interchange.

But this one does the piece of track (between Mirfield and Brighouse) that you tried twice to do (albeit the other way).

At Selby it becomes clear my choice to get here early was the right one, the 1746 from Leeds is nearly ten minutes late, meaning I would have missed the train again. The 1826 Sheffield service is 158849 today and it gets me back to Doncaster for the end of my traveling today.

Perhaps you or some other kind person could tell me how many northern services a day link Selby and Doncaster (in addition to the EC and HT expresses)?

I agree the signage at Mirfield isn't ideal. There are signs, but they are on the roadside, advising of the platforms but nothing on the platforms themselves (I guess it isn't intended as an interchange station!)

The 14:58 from Mirfield is also the "grand tour" service and goes from Wakefield Westgate to Leeds (and beyond) via Wakefield Kirkgate, Huddersfield and Bradford Interchange. As a result of which it is often advertised as the service to one of those points to prevent people thinking it will get from, say, Mirfield to Leeds in less than an hour!

Not quite, in general its only the anti-clockwise teacup (selby-leeds-bradford-halifax-brighouse-hud-wakefield) that starts from beyond Leeds (selby), as the clockwise tea-cup (wakefield-hud-brig-hfx-bdi-leeds) terminates at Leeds.

Agree that Mirfield needs screens, or better signs as a minimum. I've also interchanged there (alighting from a down GC and then heading for Leeds). Does Brighouse have decent screens/signs, given that Leeds trains depart from either platform?
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,123
Location
Redcar
Perhaps you or some other kind person could tell me how many northern services a day link Selby and Doncaster (in addition to the EC and HT expresses)?

I believe Northern have two southbound and one northbound Monday to Saturday (with one Doncaster - Selby shuttle on Saturday morning additionally) and no services on Sundays.
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
There is an excellent cafe in the bus station (adjoining the rail station)....

I'll remember that for the future, I took a rather circular route.

And also not Castleford, which I think is what you meant :)....

Ahh yes, always get them mixed up.

....Can you advise (just for interest) whether this train went non-stop through South Milford, or reversed at Church Fenton?...

It went through South Milford, it actually stopped there aswell, although no-one was allowed on or off. There were a couple of 'rail incident team' members there also.

....But this one does the piece of track (between Mirfield and Brighouse) that you tried twice to do (albeit the other way)....

Well, yes, but I wanted to do it by Northern Rail aswell.

Perhaps you or some other kind person could tell me how many northern services a day link Selby and Doncaster (in addition to the EC and HT expresses)?....

Not many.

2J91 05:52 Doncaster-Selby (SO)
2J92 06:18 Selby-Doncaster (M-S)
1J32 16:21 Scarborough-Sheffield (M-S)
2W52 19:58 Sheffield-Bridlington (M-S)

Day Sixteen

So, the last day began in Sheffield, I took the 0920 Manchester Piccadilly service, 142029, all the way through to Manchester and then walked across to Victoria for the 1112 Wigan Wallgate service (via Atherton). It was formed of 156423 and left a little late after a young lad searched for an item left from the previous journey, he didn't find it on board. The train remained a few minutes late throughout, but it was still in plenty of time for my next service.

That was the 1213 Southport train and 150201 arrived a few minutes late also, though I doubt for the same reason. It formed the 1301 back to Stockport (via Bolton). I decide to get off at Bolton to head to Preston. Whilst I have been over this stretch, I did so on a TPE service (because of a cancellation). It is a bit of a wait though, 45 minutes for the 1440 Blackpool North service (150204 and 150132).

There is another wait at Preston as I miss a connection by five minutes. It is going over the last line I need to cover though, Wigan North Western to Huyton. I sit on the station until the 1615 Liverpool Lime Street service pulls in, it is another pair of 150s, 150270 and 150110. 52110 of 150110 has a dodgy window behind the cab (second man's side), water between the pains of glass presumably caused by a broken seal somewhere.

The train gets to Huyton on time and I'm left with a minor task of getting home. It's just a ten minute wait for the 1716 in the hands of 150103.

Coming soon....

As of tomorrow I will be setting of on a much shorter trip, just three days, but I'm not certain of how much internet access I will have so I might only be able to report on Wednesday when I get home. I'll be on the move for about 50-55 hours, could be fun, could be very tiring.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Only just seen this thread - did something similar at the start of the year to get some use out of the free pass. At the minute I only need a few sections to complete the Northern network - Manchester FC and the summer Sundays Clitheroe - Hellifield ones in the NW, and a few lines around Humberside/Lincolnshire.

Chathill is a strange station, very little use and a pain to get to and actually use it to visit somewhere useful. I've only been once, on the early morning train, combined it with a walk to the coast and a bus to Alnwick.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top