• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Journey with Virgin: What will happen due to current disruption?

Status
Not open for further replies.

extendedpaul

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2010
Messages
706
Location
Caerphilly and Kent
I think it's too late to ask Virgin these questions so I hope somebody on this forum can help.

I have first class advances (purchased in the Virgin West Coast sale) Euston to Glasgow 16.30 on Mon 18 Jan, Glasgow to Euston 07.37 Wed 20 Jan. I booked through the Virgin website well before the storm damage closed the line at Lamington.

On the journey to Glasgow I understand we will arrive at 21.45 instead of 20.38 due to a bus/coach between Carlisle and Glasgow. Does that mean we will qualify for Delay Repay - and if so should it be paid automatically ?

On 20 Jan there is a bus at 06.35 to connect with our booked train at Carlisle departing 08.46. Am I right in thinking that if we catch that bus and the train runs on time from Carlisle to Euston we would not qualify for Delay Repay but we should get a full breakfast ?

There is a connecting train at 07.22 which we would prefer to use. We will then catch the 09.46 from Carlisle and arrive at Euston an hour late so if we do that do we then become eligible for Delay Repay ?

And would we still get the full breakfast on the 09.46 ?



Advice and opinions appreciated.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,735
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
On the journey to Glasgow I understand we will arrive at 21.45 instead of 20.38 due to a bus/coach between Carlisle and Glasgow. Does that mean we will qualify for Delay Repay - and if so should it be paid automatically ?

Yes you qualify, VT explicitly told me that. Mine was not automatically paid.

On 20 Jan there is a bus at 06.35 to connect with our booked train at Carlisle departing 08.46. Am I right in thinking that if we catch that bus and the train runs on time from Carlisle to Euston we would not qualify for Delay Repay but we should get a full breakfast ?

I would suggest this is a case for discretion, as travelling earlier is still using up your time. I have certainly applied on that basis for my return journey on which I travelled early to avoid arriving late.

There is a connecting train at 07.22 which we would prefer to use. We will then catch the 09.46 from Carlisle and arrive at Euston an hour late so if we do that do we then become eligible for Delay Repay ?

I would suggest you will get Delay Repay based on the best case you could have achieved by taking VT's advice, and not on your choice to take a longer route to avoid the buses. However, that *might* invalidate it entirely. You might as well claim, in all likelihood you'll just get 45 quid without them even having read it.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,973
Location
Airedale
Virgin are still relaxing Advance restrictions so I can't see any problem with 0722.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top