• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Journey times and frequencies late 90s

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertbishop

Member
Joined
5 Oct 2010
Messages
139
Hi all,

Does anyone journey times and service frequencies for these routes:

1) London Euston - Birmingham New Street
2) London Paddington - Bristol Temple Meads

from any timetable in the years 1997-2001? I don't need all years, I just need one.

I'm doing a comparison between pre privatisation and after and 2012 timetables are distorted by more recent developments.

Thanks
Robert
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,579
Location
Macclesfield
I only have a 1992 timetable to hand, but I cannot recall the timetable on the Euston to Birmingham route changing particularly into the early years of privatisation: In general, Intercity services between London Euston and Birmingham New Street were half-hourly throughout the day and took 1 hour 40 minutes, give or take a couple of minutes. One of these trains each hour continued on to Wolverhampton.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,560
Location
Yorkshire
28 Sept 97 - 23 May 98

Euston xx15
Watford Jn xx32
Coventry xx 27
Birmingham Int xx38
Birmingham New St xx55

Also xx45 from Euston, same journey times except substitute Watford Jn for MKC (xx22) and extended to SAD 1535, WVH xx50

Paddington xx15
Reading xx39
Didcot xx54
Swindon xx12
Chippenham xx25
Bath Spa xx38
Bristol Temple Meads xx55

With trains at xx45 with variable stopping patterns at popular times (but not mid-day) such as 1445 from Paddington doing the journey in only 1 hour 21 minutes.

Trains to Bristol Parkway were quicker, with fastest times from 1 hour 11 minutes.
 

robertbishop

Member
Joined
5 Oct 2010
Messages
139
London Euston and Birmingham New Street were half-hourly throughout the day and took 1 hour 40 minutes

I've got 1993 already for comparison and what you've said in general is right. Thanks for the reply.

28 Sept 97 - 23 May 98

Euston xx15
Watford Jn xx32
Coventry xx 27
Birmingham Int xx38
Birmingham New St xx55

Paddington xx15
Reading xx39
Didcot xx54
Swindon xx12
Chippenham xx25
Bath Spa xx38
Bristol Temple Meads xx55

Thanks yorkie, that's exactly what I wanted!

Do you have the same for Euston to Manchester Piccadilly as well?

Much appreciated,
Robert
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top