• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Journey planners won't detect service for which I hold a ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUC

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2010
Messages
5,099
I am travelling from Brighouse to Oxford on 26 March, leaving at 0403, and changing onto the 0511 from Manchester Piccadilly. Although I have split tickets via Trainsplit, this is a valid route generally, and meeting the minimum connection time at Piccadilly. However, I have noticed when checking on the LNER and Northern apps that neither of them will reflect this journey, showing the earliest option as being 0516, arriving at 0941.

What seems to be the issue is that the overnight Huddersfield services are being diverted to call at Brighouse instead. If I select Huddersfield as the starting point, Northern will detect this option (although interestingly LNER won't) and show a RRB at 0340 from Huddersfield to connect into the 0403 from Brighouse.

If this was not showing from Huddersfield, I would have thought that the diversion to Brighouse has not been correctly loaded into systems, but the RRB showing indicates that the information is there, so why won't the journey show from Brighouse?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WTT Gremlin

Member
Joined
1 Apr 2025
Messages
139
Location
Northampton
I am travelling from Brighouse to Oxford on 26 March, leaving at 0403, and changing onto the 0511 from Manchester Piccadilly. Although I have split tickets via Trainsplit, this is a valid route generally, and meeting the minimum connection time at Piccadilly. However, I have noticed when checking on the LNER and Northern apps that neither of them will reflect this journey, showing the earliest option as being 0516, arriving at 0941.

What seems to be the issue is that the overnight Huddersfield services are being diverted to call at Brighouse instead. If I select Huddersfield as the starting point, Northern will detect this option (although interestingly LNER won't) and show a RRB at 0340 from Huddersfield to connect into the 0403 from Brighouse.

If this was not showing from Huddersfield, I would have thought that the diversion to Brighouse has not been correctly loaded into systems, but the RRB showing indicates that the information is there, so why won't the journey show from Brighouse?
I wonder if due to the diversionary route with an earlier time through Victoria some route planners logic is trying to create a route with a connection across Manchester from Victoria to Piccadilly and this route exceeds that minimum time, rather than changing at Piccadilly.
 

TUC

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2010
Messages
5,099
That's a very interesting thought. I wonder if that is the case?
 

jawr256

Member
Joined
15 Apr 2017
Messages
168
The 0403 TPE service runs via Salford Crescent between Piccadilly and Victoria - I wonder if that causes issues for validating the route as you'd need Salford Crescent to appear on the relevant map(s)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top