• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Journey from Ipswich to brighton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montel Osman

Member
Joined
30 Aug 2018
Messages
14
Hi all, new here and have a query about a journey next week. with all the confusing routeing rules in place I want to make sure This journey is fine to do without getting a penalty fare. So I will be going to Brighton but I want to travel via Cambridge. GAs website recommends going through london, however, if I go to Cambridge I can get the direct Thameslink service to brighton.

The ticket is an off peak return with "via any permitted route"

Any ideas?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2017
Messages
6,416
Hi all, new here and have a query about a journey next week. with all the confusing routeing rules in place I want to make sure This journey is fine to do without getting a penalty fare. So I will be going to Brighton but I want to travel via Cambridge. GAs website recommends going through london, however, if I go to Cambridge I can get the direct Thameslink service to brighton.

The ticket is an off peak return with "via any permitted route"

Any ideas?
Going via Cambridge is not a permitted route as far as I can tell - though some journey planners might still produce an itinerary that way with one (through) ticket!
 
Joined
10 Mar 2015
Messages
771
Routes via Cambridge are only included in "Any Permitted" for stations north of Ipswich excluding Ipswich itself. Stowmarket allows travel via Cambridge as do Diss and Norwich.
 

Romilly

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2013
Messages
1,712
For via Cambridge, it's cheaper to buy an Ipswich-Newmarket return and a Newmarket-Brighton return than it is to buy an Ipswich-Cambridge return and a Cambridge-Brighton return. But you would have to use Ipswich-Cambridge (and Cambridge-Ipswich) trains that are timetabled to call at Newmarket (but I think they all are), and you would have to travel via Newmarket and Cambridge in both directions.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,969
Location
Airedale
For via Cambridge, it's cheaper to buy an Ipswich-Newmarket return and a Newmarket-Brighton return than it is to buy an Ipswich-Cambridge return and a Cambridge-Brighton return. But you would have to use Ipswich-Cambridge (and Cambridge-Ipswich) trains that are timetabled to call at Newmarket (but I think they all are), and you would have to travel via Newmarket and Cambridge in both directions.

You could ask the issuing office to change the ticket to Stowmarket-Brighton and buy Ipswich-Stowmarket separately? But bear in mind that Cambridge-Brighton is not a reliable service yet, from all accounts.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top