• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Joining a Nat. Ex. coach service part journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bayum

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2008
Messages
3,298
Location
Leeds
I possibly have access to some coach tickets from Scarborough to London. The tickets have already been prebooked as returns by a friend who didn't do it properly!

If I were to get the tickets from them, would I be able to join part journey, at say Leeds or York instead of Scarborough?

I have asked the question in another thread enquiring about hotels, but I figured this is possibly the more appropriate forum!!

EDIT

I've just checked the conditions of carriage which says I'm not allowed to do that... Are Nat. Ex. likely to stick to this? If so, any chance of being able to edit the tickets so instead of Scarborough to London, it's York/Leeds to London?
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2015
Messages
2,798
Location
Hull
I possibly have access to some coach tickets from Scarborough to London. The tickets have already been prebooked as returns by a friend who didn't do it properly!

If I were to get the tickets from them, would I be able to join part journey, at say Leeds or York instead of Scarborough?

I have asked the question in another thread enquiring about hotels, but I figured this is possibly the more appropriate forum!!

EDIT

I've just checked the conditions of carriage which says I'm not allowed to do that... Are Nat. Ex. likely to stick to this? If so, any chance of being able to edit the tickets so instead of Scarborough to London, it's York/Leeds to London?

I suggest contacting EYMS for advice as they are the operating company for any NatEx journeys leaving or going to Scarbrough - they should be able to help you more, although I think it is impossible to get them changed as you are not the booker... Also, NatEx are under no obligation to accept you part way through the journey unless under exceptional circumstances such as unspeakable acts preventing a coach reaching a certain stop
 

button_boxer

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2009
Messages
1,271
I booked a journey from London (Victoria) to Sheffield on National Express once, but due to unforseen circumstances we ended up too late to catch the coach from Victoria. Thankfully it was a service that calls at Golders Green so being in Camden we managed to get up to GG on the Northern Line in time to catch the same coach there. The driver let us on, but warned us that had the coach been full they could have re-sold our seats from Victoria when we failed to turn up there, which would have left us stranded at Golders Green. If I'd known we'd be delayed I could have phoned up and changed the booking but by that time the phone lines were closed for the day.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,705
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
To confirm what button_boxer says, the main reason it is prohibited on Nat Ex is not fares related (though they may enforce it if the deep discount "Funfares" are booked as those are only available for flows where Megabus competes) but is more because of the limited seating capacity and lack of standing being allowed.
 

Bayum

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2008
Messages
3,298
Location
Leeds
If the coach isn't run by National Express, what can I expect in terms of the coach, I.e. Would it be one of the newer coaches like National Express have? I checked the EYMS Wikipedia page and the coaching stock sounded rather old...
 

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2015
Messages
2,798
Location
Hull
NatEx rarely run their own coaches - they lease out services to other companies and specify what coaches they want - in this case either B9B or B12B type coaches... I suspect you were looking at the acquisitions section on wiki! Coaching fleet can be found here

http://www.eyms.co.uk/enthusiasts/fleet-list?intselectedpage=1

Rarely, and this has happened just twice, should all the coaches be out in service, hire or off road for examination, the long range buses are pulled off their duties and deployed instead - suitable stops for toilets breaks where needed. Fairly comfortable the Long Range Buses as they are all ex-demos so leather seating and spacious upper windows

EYMS do run NatEx branded buses unless there is either a breakdown or additional services. Check with both EYMS and NatEx before making any firm plans - don't want to get there and find out its not allowed.
 
Last edited:

Bayum

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2008
Messages
3,298
Location
Leeds
NatEx rarely run their own coaches - they lease out services to other companies and specify what coaches they want - in this case either B9B or B12B type coaches... I suspect you were looking at the acquisitions section on wiki! Coaching fleet can be found here

http://www.eyms.co.uk/enthusiasts/fleet-list?intselectedpage=1

Rarely, and this has happened just twice, should all the coaches be out in service, hire or off road for examination, the long range buses are pulled off their duties and deployed instead - suitable stops for toilets breaks where needed. Fairly comfortable the Long Range Buses as they are all ex-demos so leather seating and spacious upper windows

EYMS do run NatEx branded buses unless there is either a breakdown or additional services. Check with both EYMS and NatEx before making any firm plans - don't want to get there and find out its not allowed.

Excellent. Here's hoping I get a good seat and possibly a plug!

My friend was able to change the destination and origin points for a charge, so just added that onto the cheaper price we agreed upon!
 

TUC

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2010
Messages
5,088
To confirm what button_boxer says, the main reason it is prohibited on Nat Ex is not fares related (though they may enforce it if the deep discount "Funfares" are booked as those are only available for flows where Megabus competes) but is more because of the limited seating capacity and lack of standing being allowed.
Although, given that passengers have paid for the tickets regardless of whether they turn up, National Express are not losing out if those seats remain vacant for the journey.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,705
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Although, given that passengers have paid for the tickets regardless of whether they turn up, National Express are not losing out if those seats remain vacant for the journey.

That they aren't, but walk-up ticket sales for empty seats does mean they can offer more passengers the opportunity to travel than shipping empty seats around.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,753
Location
Yorkshire
I know it's a while ago, but most trips between Scarborough and London involve a Coastliner bus to Leeds then an NX coach to London. I doubt you'd have any problems joining at the changing point if you're not on the direct service. If you're on the daily 563, see the advice above.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top