• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

jobcentre question-proof of travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonbridge

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2010
Messages
1,896
Not really sure where to put this thread,it could come under ticketing but I'll post it here as it involves the bus.

Went to sign on on Monday and was given a letter saying I have to attend a work focus interview this Friday. The letter says we will refund your travel costs if the interview is not on the day you sign on. Given that I use an Oyster card and don't get given a bus ticket when I take the bus,how do I provide them with evidence of using the bus to get to/from the interview in order to claim the fare back? What's to stop me walking to/from the interview and then claiming £2.60 for two PAYG bus journeys?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2008
Messages
3,001
Location
Cambridge
Not really sure where to put this thread,it could come under ticketing but I'll post it here as it involves the bus.

Went to sign on on Monday and was given a letter saying I have to attend a work focus interview this Friday. The letter says we will refund your travel costs if the interview is not on the day you sign on. Given that I use an Oyster card and don't get given a bus ticket when I take the bus,how do I provide them with evidence of using the bus to get to/from the interview in order to claim the fare back? What's to stop me walking to/from the interview and then claiming £2.60 for two PAYG bus journeys?

You can access your Oyster statement online, the journies will be logged within 24 hours. https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/entry.do
 

causton

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
5,504
Location
Somewhere between WY372 and MV7
You could ask at a tube station for a receipt which will show your last 10(?) journeys. I've not used an Oyster for so long so forget whether it tells you where you've been or if it just says TUBE or BUS (etc)

Edit: Hire an expensive limo and then claim that back - they'll give you a receipt ;)
 

LexyBoy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
4,478
Location
North of the rivers
You can access your Oyster statement online, the journies will be logged within 24 hours. https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/entry.do

Only if your card is registered. You can access your recent journey history if it's not registered by using a ticket machine (can't remember exactly how – it’s simple though, something like touching your card and then selecting “Journey History”).
 

londonbridge

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2010
Messages
1,896
I know you can get your journey history but I don't see why I should have to go through all that palava.
 

Oracle

Established Member
Joined
19 May 2006
Messages
1,410
Location
Near Ashurst New Forest Station
The idea is that they crack down on costs in ever way.

If you took a car, then they would pay mileage...they ask you where you live and then pay according to what their sheet says is the distance. That figure is much less than the actual road mileage!
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,579
That or just buy the £2.20 singles!

a) It'll save the hassle of using an oyster (as explained) as you would have a piece of paper
b) they'll refund it anyway!
 

furryfeet

Member
Joined
17 Apr 2008
Messages
449
buy the paper ticket and use that as the receipt.

if they moan or ask about Oster being cheaper, then simply state that one could not provide a receipt as such. that should shut them up.

Ask them, how DOES one provided a receipt if Oyster is used !
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,579
Also ask for the return travel as TfL only offer single fares.
 

londonbridge

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2010
Messages
1,896
I've had a better idea actually,I'm going into central London later in the day after my appointment,so I'll just buy a one-day travelcard from the trainstation and claim £2.60 back-that way I've still got a ticket to give them.

Edit: As it happened I needen't have bothered wondering how to provide proof as they phoned up this morning to cancel the appointment because the advisor I was meant to see phoned in sick!!
 
Last edited:

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
I know when you claim travel back from Kings College they have oyseter readers so can check that way.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top