• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Joanna Lumley's Trans-Siberian Adventure on ITV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,494
Location
Yorkshire
Episode 1 still available on demand for a few weeks (https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/joanna-lumley-s-trans-siberian-adventure/series-1/episode-1) - broadcasts on a Sunday evening

Not a programme specifically related to the railways but still feels slightly Portillo-esque (on a larger scale) and features a lot of rail travel.

Episode 1 I caught from the point where Joanna Lumley was in Hong Kong, purchasing a ticket for "threepence" to travel on a local service and then trying to fathom out and board the right bullet train to Beijing - 1400 miles in 10 hours where First Class seems to be nothing in comparison to the superior Business Class (as said by Joanna herself!) and at speeds over 300km/h

She later joined an overnight service to Mongolia - one shot from which showed the train passing through the desert - it looked to make the Scottish Highlands/Far North positively urban by comparison!

Looks like it will be an interesting series (I believe it will be shown over 3 episodes)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,862
Location
West of Andover
It would have been something I probably would have watched, but I don't really like Joanna Lumley (her voice) if that makes sense.
 

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
I watched the first episode and intend watching the others too. The Trans Siberian railway has always fascinated me, as has the old Orient Expresses along with & Wagon Lits & TEE.

The bogie/gauge change is a real performance too, I think it's different in Russia too.
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
Enjoyed the first episode and the bogie change really was good to watch - proper effort. have set the series to record as its on the same time as Humans.
 

IanD

Established Member
Joined
18 Sep 2011
Messages
2,785
Location
Newport Pagnell
It would have been something I probably would have watched, but I don't really like Joanna Lumley (her voice) if that makes sense.

Me too - would have been interested in the railway aspect and would have watched if almost anyone else had been presenting. Can't stand her patronising manner.
 

Johnuk123

Established Member
Joined
19 Mar 2012
Messages
2,800
It would have been something I probably would have watched, but I don't really like Joanna Lumley (her voice) if that makes sense.

Perhaps Janet Street Porter should be hired for any future series, might be more to your taste.
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,494
Location
Yorkshire
I watched the first episode and intend watching the others too. The Trans Siberian railway has always fascinated me, as has the old Orient Expresses along with & Wagon Lits & TEE.

The bogie/gauge change is a real performance too, I think it's different in Russia too.

the great wall was v.interesting too

I only started watching as parents wanted me to see the bit about the bullet train at the start and ended up watching the rest

The great wall was interesting to see although I am not sure I would have wanted to spend any length of time in the towers, what with the cracks in the walls!

Could you imagine if we had to do gauge change here - everyone would be turfed out onto the platform, but there you just go into the shed with the train it seemed!

The other thing was the 4 hour border stop - maybe it is a good thing Scotland didn't go independent - would have ruined all that hard work Branson has done on the WCML ;)
Talking of borders, it looks like they have issues trying to get into Russia in a forthcoming episode...

Perhaps Janet Street Porter should be hired for any future series, might be more to your taste.

:shock:
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
I only caught part of the programme, but I enjoyed what I saw. For me, the enjoyment of seeing the Chinese trains, the Great Wall, and the amazing Buddha at Datong outweighed any irritation that the presenter caused!
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
Why Joanna Lumley? Could it be a PR job ahead of all the publicity, by no means all of it good from her point of view, coming on this Garden Bridge proposed across the Thames in London, to be in private hands though millions of public dosh is being flung at it, principally £30m from TfL's transport budget. Just because she supposedly 'won' on the Gurkhas (though many of her former allies now despise her) doesn't mean she will on this one - expect legal challenges from the start.
 
Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Hasn't she done other TV shows like this one? Or did I dream it?

TV companies love using well known names for all sorts of shows, especially when the so called celebrity's name is included in the title. It's been happening for years, Billy Connolly, Caroline Quentin, the list is endless. I'm just surprised we haven't had 'Cilla Black's Icelandic Volcano Climb' or something similar.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,862
Location
West of Andover
Hasn't she done other TV shows like this one? Or did I dream it?

TV companies love using well known names for all sorts of shows, especially when the so called celebrity's name is included in the title. It's been happening for years, Billy Connolly, Caroline Quentin, the list is endless. I'm just surprised we haven't had 'Cilla Black's Icelandic Volcano Climb' or something similar.

Having a well-known celebrity in the title = increased viewers (= more advertising revenues).

----

As for why Joanna, didn't I hear in some of the advertising for the show that she has history in those parts of the world (grew up there?)
 

Johnuk123

Established Member
Joined
19 Mar 2012
Messages
2,800
----
As for why Joanna, didn't I hear in some of the advertising for the show that she has history in those parts of the world (grew up there?)

No you didn't hear that, she was born in India but lived most of her life here and only visited Russia once in 1966 and she hated the place.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Having a well-known celebrity in the title = increased viewers (= more advertising revenues).

Indeed. There are too many people who are unduly influenced by the cult of the celebrity. As we've seen in this thread, though, there are some who are more motivated not to watch something if the celebrity in the title is not to their tastes!

I only caught it by accident and and became interested. When I saw the trailers my instinct was 'oh no another egotistic celebrity travel show'. I'm far less inclined to watch something with a name in the title, but I accept I'm probably in the minority on that.
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
I remember how disappointed I was years ago when a series was shown called 'Last Chance to See' hosted by Stephen Fry. I only watched it because I was under the mistaken impression it was Fry's swansong: I am totally allergic to the man and cannot stand how people creep to him, even somebody like Jeremy Hardy who I thought had more sense.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,844
Location
Stirlingshire
I watched that Epp 2 on Sunday. Mongolia looked quite interesting infact. Must rember to set the VCR this weekend to catch Epp 3.

I enjoyed the programme, shocking and surprising that she admitted her age
(68) when asked by one of her hosts in the tent.

Was hoping to see the Smoking Section on the Trans Siberian Express which is apparently these days between the carriages. "Patsy" always used to enjoy her tabs in Absolutely Fabulous - thought Jo may be the same.
 

D6975

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
3,053
Location
Bristol
Hasn't she done other TV shows like this one? Or did I dream it?

TV companies love using well known names for all sorts of shows, especially when the so called celebrity's name is included in the title. It's been happening for years, Billy Connolly, Caroline Quentin, the list is endless. I'm just surprised we haven't had 'Cilla Black's Icelandic Volcano Climb' or something similar.


She did one about the Northern Lights in Norway, another one called Greek Odyssey and a castaway type one where she was left to fend for herself on a tropical island.

edit - just remembered she went after the source of the Nile too.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top