• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Italy Rail Strike - Cancelled Train (and potential knock on impacts)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABB125

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2016
Messages
4,353
Location
University of Birmingham
I've just had an email from Trenitalia saying that the train I was booked on, ICN794 Reggio Calabria to Turin on Sunday night (7 July), has been cancelled due to a national strike. I can claim a full refund.
Whilst of itself this isn't too much of an issue (ultimately as long as I'm in Rome by around 0700 on Tuesday morning it doesn't matter what I do), it does mean that I'll now need to find a hotel somewhere around Reggio Calabria or further north along the coast (or alternatively investigate any other sleepers which may be running), and probably also in Rome (see below). Am I entitled to any compensation for additional expenses incurred as a result?
On Monday night I'm booked onto the Turin to Salerno sleeper, it now seems unlikely that I'll be able to catch this (see below), am I also entitled to a refund for this? (Admittedly this is just the €3 Interrail reservation, so not the end of the world!)
My plan for Saturday to Monday was essentially a round-the-coast trip entirely on Regional trains using an Italia in Tour pass: Venice to Taranto on Saturday, Taranto to Reggio Calabria on Sunday, overnight to Turin, fill in time around Turin, then overnight from Genoa to Rome on Monday night (departing Genoa at 0002, in perfect time to use a day of my Interrail pass). How likely is it that this plan is no longer feasible?
Thanks for any advice

Edit: I haven't yet bought the Italia in Tour ticket, does this have any effect?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rvdborgt

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2022
Messages
2,525
Location
Leuven
If you request a refund (= you decide not to travel), then the operator doesn't have any obligations anymore.
If you don't request a refund and you want to travel, then they have to find an alternative for you and if that means you're stranded overnight somewhere, then they'll have to provide overnight accommodation. You're then also entitled to compensation for delay, if the delay at your destination is at least 60 minutes.
If you can't reach a booked train because of your delay, then you can get a refund of the reservation, if you wish that.
Also note that a strike isn't a case of force majeure.
Some trains will run, but apart from the guaranteed trains it's hard to predict which ones.
 
Last edited:

ABB125

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2016
Messages
4,353
Location
University of Birmingham
If you request a refund (= you decide not to travel), then the operator doesn't have any obligations anymore.
If you don't request a refund and you want to travel, then they have to find an alternative for you and if that means you're stranded overnight somewhere, then they'll have to provide overnight accommodation. You're then also entitled to compensation for delay, if the delay at your destination is at least 60 minutes.
If you can't reach a booked train because of your delay, then you can get a refund of the reservation, if you wish that.
Also note that a strike isn't a case of force majeure.
Some trains will run, but apart from the guaranteed trains it's hard to predict which ones.
Thanks - sounds like the best option is to just go along with whatever happens on the day?
Do you know where I can find a list of guaranteed trains?
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,988
Location
Airedale
Thanks - sounds like the best option is to just go along with whatever happens on the day?
Do you know where I can find a list of guaranteed trains?

https://www.trenitalia.com/it/informazioni/treni_garantiti_incasodisciopero.html
(In Italian!)
The strike, though, is 2100 Saturday to 2100 Sunday, so your heel-to-toe section might be problematic anyway :(.

BTW I notice that all both the Sicily-Rome overnights are still open for bookings (the later one you'd have to board at Messina).
 

ABB125

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2016
Messages
4,353
Location
University of Birmingham
I've since had an email from Trenitalia saying that, in fact, ICN794 will be running as normal, which doesn't necessarily fill me with confidence. I'll just have to see how it goes
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top