• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Istanbul Tünel, underground "funicular" railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark_Lester

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2011
Messages
335
Location
berks
How does this railway work ?

From what I can work out, this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tünel
used to be a "cable car". There were two trains, fixed on the ends of cables, with a steam engine pulling the cable either way, and the two would balance each other (I'm sure there's a technical name for this yoyo cable operation).

Anyway, it now says that since it was electrified in the 70s, it now runs on rubber tyres! and is presumably adhesion. I guess the trench where the cables used to ride now holds an electric rail now.

Is that about right ?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Firesprite

Member
Joined
22 Dec 2011
Messages
295
Location
Fens
How does this railway work ?

From what I can work out, this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tünel
used to be a "cable car". There were two trains, fixed on the ends of cables, with a steam engine pulling the cable either way, and the two would balance each other (I'm sure there's a technical name for this yoyo cable operation).

Anyway, it now says that since it was electrified in the 70s, it now runs on rubber tyres! and is presumably adhesion. I guess the trench where the cables used to ride now holds an electric rail now.

Is that about right ?

Still a balanced cable system, Steam engine replaced with a electric motor

Full details here
http://www.funimag.com/funimag26/Istanbul-Tunel03.htm
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,244
Location
UK
Didn't the clockwork orange use this system in the past?
 

Mark_Lester

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2011
Messages
335
Location
berks
and so a funicular is, by definition, a thing on string. though he doesnt include the san fransisco tram, which I am amazed just doesnt just burr the cable.
but he does include these lisbon elevadors, which i see have a slot in the middle for the cable.
thanks again.
 

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2012
Messages
2,411
Location
Glasgow
Didn't the clockwork orange use this system in the past?

If that's a reference to the Glasgow Subway no-one here ever calls it that (except for the less intellectually-challenging newspapers).

The Subway was indeed originally cable hauled (before even my time!) :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top