Richard1979
Member
I had my ticket checked by a revenue officer yesterday, and produced my ticket I had purchased online, with a Network Card discount applied. Only when he asked to see my Railcard did it dawn on me that my Railcard expired in October last year. I was apologetic and admitted it was my fault and an oversight, and offered to pay for a full price ticket, however he insisted on reporting me. I honestly felt so ashamed as he read me my rights, like a Police Officer would. This is now driving my anxiety to another level (I suffer at the best of times). I've try to pre-empt the notice to prosecute letter and found evidence of all my previous Railcard purchased for the last 7-8 years, which show the Railcard being renewed at the same time each year. Will this help my case? I also immediately purchased another Railcard yesterday straight after this incident. I've had a look around online and pre-prepared the following response, but would welcome thoughts on the content. Also, from other cases, if they offer an out of court settlement, what am I likely to be looking at? I guess it's a standard 'Witness Statement' I've been provided with, but attach it anyway. The revenue inspector also did not sign it, does that matter?
Dear Sir/Madam,
Re: Notice of Prosecution for Not Having a Valid Railcard
I am writing in response to the notice of prosecution dated [date of prosecution letter] regarding my travel on the 8th of January without a valid railcard.
I deeply regret this oversight and would like to explain that the situation was unintentional. I did purchase a ticket, believing that my Railcard was valid. However, upon inspection, I realised that it had expired. This was a genuine mistake on my part, and I fully acknowledge my responsibility for not ensuring that my railcard was up to date. I would also like to add that I have held Railcards for over 10 years, and I enclosed evidence of all my previous Railcard purchases that I’ve managed to find, which show the previous continuous validity of Railcards. I trust you will take this into account when reviewing this situation. There is a gap between 2020 and 2021 due to COVID and not using the trains. Prior to 2018, I would have purchased these from a ticket office, so unfortunately I can’t provide evidence further back to this, apart from one ordered online in 2015. I have also provided confirmation of my new Railcard purchase, which was made straight after this matter was brought to my attention.
I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience and would like to request the opportunity to settle this matter out of court by paying the difference between the fare paid and the full-price ticket, along with any reasonable administration fees that may be applicable. Please let me know the amount and the process for making this payment.
Thank you for your understanding and consideration. I look forward to your response and hope to resolve this issue promptly.
Yours faithfully,
Thanks in advance!

Dear Sir/Madam,
Re: Notice of Prosecution for Not Having a Valid Railcard
I am writing in response to the notice of prosecution dated [date of prosecution letter] regarding my travel on the 8th of January without a valid railcard.
I deeply regret this oversight and would like to explain that the situation was unintentional. I did purchase a ticket, believing that my Railcard was valid. However, upon inspection, I realised that it had expired. This was a genuine mistake on my part, and I fully acknowledge my responsibility for not ensuring that my railcard was up to date. I would also like to add that I have held Railcards for over 10 years, and I enclosed evidence of all my previous Railcard purchases that I’ve managed to find, which show the previous continuous validity of Railcards. I trust you will take this into account when reviewing this situation. There is a gap between 2020 and 2021 due to COVID and not using the trains. Prior to 2018, I would have purchased these from a ticket office, so unfortunately I can’t provide evidence further back to this, apart from one ordered online in 2015. I have also provided confirmation of my new Railcard purchase, which was made straight after this matter was brought to my attention.
I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience and would like to request the opportunity to settle this matter out of court by paying the difference between the fare paid and the full-price ticket, along with any reasonable administration fees that may be applicable. Please let me know the amount and the process for making this payment.
Thank you for your understanding and consideration. I look forward to your response and hope to resolve this issue promptly.
Yours faithfully,
Thanks in advance!
