• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Isle of Man - General

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,943
Location
Fenny Stratford
Isle of Man Trip – General

I am just back form 10 days in the Isle of Man and will draft trip reports for each of the Isle of Man Railway, Douglas Horse Trams, Manx Electric Railway and Sanefell Mountian Railway in due course but I wanted to outline some of the travel to and from the Island.

We travelled in the van, accompanied by the dog from, Heysham to Douglas via the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company. Heysahm Port is easy to get to with a decent dual carriage way most of the way from the M6 straight into the port. Heysham isn’t a busy passenger port so check in was easy despite the battalions of motor cycles waiting to cross for the Manx GP.

Thrillingly as we were booked on the 14:15 sailing waiting in the rather forlorn station attached to the terminal was a northern rail class 144 which had chugged up from Leeds and was waiting for trade off the incoming ferry.

Our vessel for the 3 ½ hour crossing was the flagship of the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company, MS Ben-my-Chree (Woman of my heart in Manx apparently). She was built by van der Giessen de Noord of the Netherlands at a cost of c.£24m and launched on 4 April 1998 and is assigned, primarily, to the Heysham – Douglas route. At a gross tonnage of around 12,000, she is the largest ship to enter service with the company, the sixth vessel to carry the name and the first new ship built by the company for 23 years

Ben-my-Chree is a Ro-Pax ferry designed to carry freight, with two vehicle decks and two passenger accommodation decks. There are 20 four-berth cabins ( 2 of which are dog friendly) and crew accommodation for 22. Her freight capacity is 200 vehicles. That said the passenger accommodation seems cramped with limited space and facilities and our local contacts told us the ship is not popular with the natives. The best bits were the large open decks.

Boarding is via a stern ramp and we went aboard after the motorcyles had been loaded. They took up a good 50% of the space on the bottom deck and manoeuvring the van in the available space was hard. Vehicles are loaded in such a way as to face the rear door by turning at the top of the vehicle deck to aid off-loading in Douglas

With loading complete we made our way to the passenger area and in particular the cramped dog lounge for the crossing. I understand that this route can be “rough” at times but today the sea was flat and the sun was shining which gave us a wonderful view of the picturesque Heysham nuclear power station as we left port.

Soon we were chugging out to sea and before long we were level with Blackpool tower and passing any number of wind turbines and gas platforms. As the dog lounge was quite full I spent a good deal of time on the top deck watching the seagulls drafting the ferry, chatting with a couple of the seemingly thousands of german bikers off to watch the classic TT/Max GP and enjoying the good weather.

3.5 hours later we were sailing into Douglas harbour where the ferry performed a difficult three point turn to present the stern to the dock and off loading began. In an impressively short time we were off and heading south form Douglas to Port St Mary where we would be based.

Very sadly these reports will be the last to feature his supreme houndliness Maximillian von Hound, by the Grace of God, of Great Britain, Ireland and the British Dominions beyond the Seas, Defender of the waterbowl, Emperor of the biscuits, scourge of the postie and other offcomers etc as he was taken ill with rapid kidney failure during our holiday and had to be put to sleep on his return. He was 17.

(The IOM Steam Packet were very good and allowed him to travel in the dog lounge on his way home despite it being fully booked and bent several rules to make sure he was comfortable as were the local vets who treated him on the IOM.)
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joined
23 Dec 2008
Messages
360
RIP Max, Always sad when a pet dies.

Look forward to your report on the Isle of Man.

Shear coinsurance after reading your last report on Scotland, I myself are embarking on a tour by car next week, Many times I done it by train.
Maybe next year I'll do the Isle of Man with the car.
 

gazthomas

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2011
Messages
3,466
Location
Llandudno
Poor puppy. I made my very first trip to the IOM over the recent Bank Holiday and I liked it. We flew with Easyjet, which was easy and hired a car on the island, essential if you want to visit as much as possible in a short time, particuarly the west coast. The railways are great, our favourite was the Groudle Glen - very sweet!
 

Crawley Ben

Member
Joined
14 Jul 2011
Messages
559
Location
West Worthing
Sorry for your loss DarloRich. Horrible having to say goodbye (my in-laws God was put to sleep in July 2016 at the age of 12). Hope your doing ok.

I would be most interested in read your trip review on the Isle of Man railways. They are very much of my to do list at some point or other.

All the best

Ben
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,950
Location
Devon
So sorry to hear about your wee dog Darlo. Ours is starting to get on a bit now and I can't imagine him not being around.
Interesting to read about your ferry experiences, We're going to try and get to the Isle of Man at some point because it looks great, the trouble is my other half has been loads of times when they used to go to the TT in her dads boat from Northern Ireland, this meaning that it's not top of her list of destinations unfortunately. I'm working on that one though...
Do bigger vans go on the ferry? Ours is 6.5 metres long and the way you describe turning around on it doesn't sound like that much fun.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,943
Location
Fenny Stratford
Poor puppy. I made my very first trip to the IOM over the recent Bank Holiday and I liked it. We flew with Easyjet, which was easy and hired a car on the island, essential if you want to visit as much as possible in a short time, particuarly the west coast. The railways are great, our favourite was the Groudle Glen - very sweet!

I will point out that the bus service on IOM is very good and is covered by the oyster style explorer card that is available. I didn't get to do the Groudle Glen as the dog was too unwell.

So sorry to hear about your wee dog Darlo. Ours is starting to get on a bit now and I can't imagine him not being around.
Interesting to read about your ferry experiences, We're going to try and get to the Isle of Man at some point because it looks great, the trouble is my other half has been loads of times when they used to go to the TT in her dads boat from Northern Ireland, this meaning that it's not top of her list of destinations unfortunately. I'm working on that one though...
Do bigger vans go on the ferry? Ours is 6.5 metres long and the way you describe turning around on it doesn't sound like that much fun.

Are you a LWB Sprinter? We are 5.99m long without the bakrak and 6.5/6m long with the rack & box added ( it holds all the dive gear that kath uses) and had no trouble.

The loaders put the big wagons on first ( no cabs as they use airport style shunters) followed by vans then cars and seem to have the sizing sorted out. On the way back we were put on the top deck and marshaled in up against the wagon trailers.

On the way out there was more than one horsebox sized racing team motor home on board so your van should be no problem.

*Worth noting the Steam Packet isnt cheap. They have a monopoly on surface travel to IOM and can charge accordingly*
 
Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,950
Location
Devon
Thanks for that. Yes we've got a long wheelbase Sprinter. That's good to know anyway, I see lots like ours converted to bike carrying vans as well.
 

gswindale

Member
Joined
1 Jun 2010
Messages
1,030
Sorry to hear about your loss.

We've also just returned from a short stay on the Island ourselves and took the circular ferry option: Heysham - Douglas - Liverpool so experienced both the Ben-My-Chree and the Mannanon.

We were booked into the Niarbyl lounge on both crossings. On the Ben-My-Chree, this results in you travelling either sideways or backwards so that all passengers have a Window view - slightly stupid design if you ask me. Unfortunately there appeared to be either an issue with the window seals or the a/c setup as we were frequently subjected to the obnoxious smell coming from the smoking area above us outdoors.

Thankfully on the Mannanon, smoking is prohibited throughout the entire boat including the open air decks, so that was not a problem, but again there are design issues in that the toilets were on the lower deck, which was causing some difficulties for elderly passengers booked into our lounge.

It was certainly interesting comparing the experience to that travelling to Jersey last year with Condor - that appeared to be much more professional with regular communication from Condor as opposed to the no communication from the Steam Packet company after confirming our booking.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,852
Location
West of Andover
Poor Max Von Dog, he is in doggy heaven now chasing after countless balls/sticks.

I enjoyed my trip to the Isle of Man last year with the forum, a quite beautiful place
 

IanM

Member
Joined
20 Aug 2013
Messages
89
I was on The Island for the racing and was sorry that Rich and I didn't manage to catch up - although it was totally understandable given the problems they had on their trip.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,943
Location
Fenny Stratford
I was on The Island for the racing and was sorry that Rich and I didn't manage to catch up - although it was totally understandable given the problems they had on their trip.

I did catch a bit of the racing: Parliament Square (Classic TT), Bunglalow ( Newcomers Manx GP) & Greg-ny-ba (Manx GP). All places I could get to in the van and keep an eye on the dog

We also set a new lap record for the 3.5t camper van class. Average speed: 37.56mph ;)
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,950
Location
Devon
I did catch a bit of the racing: Parliament Square (Classic TT), Bunglalow ( Newcomers Manx GP) & Greg-ny-ba (Manx GP). All places I could get to in the van and keep an eye on the dog

We also set a new lap record for the 3.5t camper van class. Average speed: 37.56mph ;)

Not a bad speed Darlo, I trust that all teacups and the porta potti were safely stowed away?
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,313
Sorry to hear about your loss.

We've also just returned from a short stay on the Island ourselves and took the circular ferry option: Heysham - Douglas - Liverpool so experienced both the Ben-My-Chree and the Mannanon.

We were booked into the Niarbyl lounge on both crossings. On the Ben-My-Chree, this results in you travelling either sideways or backwards so that all passengers have a Window view - slightly stupid design if you ask me. Unfortunately there appeared to be either an issue with the window seals or the a/c setup as we were frequently subjected to the obnoxious smell coming from the smoking area above us outdoors.

Thankfully on the Mannanon, smoking is prohibited throughout the entire boat including the open air decks, so that was not a problem, but again there are design issues in that the toilets were on the lower deck, which was causing some difficulties for elderly passengers booked into our lounge.

It was certainly interesting comparing the experience to that travelling to Jersey last year with Condor - that appeared to be much more professional with regular communication from Condor as opposed to the no communication from the Steam Packet company after confirming our booking.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Similar with me , i sent a meesage on facebook to Iom Steam Packet and it was read but ignored . I sat outside from Douglas to Heysham as there wasnt any seating left inside .
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,943
Location
Fenny Stratford
Thanks for your kind words about the hound. Although he was really quite ill he still found the time to pooh at (almost on) the Peel harbour master, try to bite a policeman and vomit at (almost on) a TT marshal. Not sure I will be invited back.............

Thanks for that. Yes we've got a long wheelbase Sprinter. That's good to know anyway, I see lots like ours converted to bike carrying vans as well.

The ones I am talking about were the big converted Mercedes wagons or massive yank motor homes. They make a Sprinter look tiny.

It is worth noting that camp sites are at a premium and the status of wild camping seems unclear. Caravans require a permit to enter the island ( i saw 2) but vans seem acceptable and there were several at the headlands/ports I visited around the island so at the least a blind eye is turned to wild camping.

We stayed with friends in their garden but getting the on board pooh cupboard emptied after that was a task. I almost decided to use a rural public toilet but found a campsite willing to let us empty in return for a donation to the helicopter fund.

On the positive side we were off grid for 10 days and didn't run out of battery.

Not a bad speed Darlo, I trust that all teacups and the porta potti were safely stowed away?

all in secure lockers. The cornering helps with the toilet waste mushing process ;)

An hour on open roads isn't a bad lap. Well done.

I had a good dual with the bikers. They might go faster on the straights but I took a defensive line through the corners and held them off as long as I could ;)

PS I have found out that it is not the done thing to cross the finish line in Douglas beeping your horn, flashing your lights and fist pumping out of the window!
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,950
Location
Devon
Thanks for your kind words about the hound. Although he was really quite ill he still found the time to pooh at (almost on) the Peel harbour master, try to bite a policeman and vomit at (almost on) a TT marshal. Not sure I will be invited back.............



The ones I am talking about were the big converted Mercedes wagons or massive yank motor homes. They make a Sprinter look tiny.

It is worth noting that camp sites are at a premium and the status of wild camping seems unclear. Caravans require a permit to enter the island ( i saw 2) but vans seem acceptable and there were several at the headlands/ports I visited around the island so at the least a blind eye is turned to wild camping.

We stayed with friends in their garden but getting the on board pooh cupboard emptied after that was a task. I almost decided to use a rural public toilet but found a campsite willing to let us empty in return for a donation to the helicopter fund.

On the positive side we were off grid for 10 days and didn't run out of battery.



all in secure lockers. The cornering helps with the toilet waste mushing process ;)



I had a good dual with the bikers. They might go faster on the straights but I took a defensive line through the corners and held them off as long as I could ;)

PS I have found out that it is not the done thing to cross the finish line in Douglas beeping your horn, flashing your lights and fist pumping out of the window!


Oh man. I was eating my lunch when I read that! :lol:
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
RIP Max the Dog. .
Glad I found this threadm not only as I always enjoy your reports esp with the camper but also because in a couple of week Im in your area Darlo and was going to PM suggesting a pint in a dog friendly pub, a message which you could quite rightly have reported as insensative.

Very gratifying to hear the steam packet were good to you on the way back with the puppy and as a point of info I understand the replacement of the Ben is being talked about just now.

I have a mate with family over there so will ask about wild camping for those interested.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,943
Location
Fenny Stratford
RIP Max the Dog. .
Glad I found this threadm not only as I always enjoy your reports esp with the camper but also because in a couple of week Im in your area Darlo and was going to PM suggesting a pint in a dog friendly pub, a message which you could quite rightly have reported as insensative.

Very gratifying to hear the steam packet were good to you on the way back with the puppy and as a point of info I understand the replacement of the Ben is being talked about just now.

I have a mate with family over there so will ask about wild camping for those interested.

fire away with questions.

Yes i understand the SPC are looking at new boats but will aim to keep the Ben as a TT back up/freight ferry.
 

Shimbleshanks

Established Member
Joined
2 Jan 2012
Messages
1,285
Location
Purley
I'm going to be making my own Isle of Man trip at the end of October. One of things I'd like to do is explore the trackbeds of the closed and lifted sections of the IoM railway but it would all be quite a long walk in the time I've got available. Does anyone know, is any of the trackbed cycleable? I've had a look on Google streetview and from the few glimpses available it does seem to be 'passable with care' at least for a mountain bike. (Note for the barrack-room lawyers on here, I'm NOT talking about whether it's officially a cycle path or not.) Hiring a bike for a day to do one of the longer stretches might be an option.
 

IanM

Member
Joined
20 Aug 2013
Messages
89
Douglas to Peel is an official cycleway, the surface is hard packed, but mostly not tarmac, and suitable for virtually any bike.

St John's to Sulby Bridge is really only walkable, and is quite muddy in places. The route beyond Sulby Bridge to Ramsey is now private land and inaccessible.
There are steep paths to bypass the viaducts which have been demolished. The section from St Germans to Kirk Michael is particularly scenic. St John's, Kirk Michael, Ballaugh and Sulby all have a good bus service which allows a one way walk.
I have a series of notes to the northern line which I can scan and email if you would like them.
I am on The Island from Tuesday 31st October for the end of the railway season.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top