• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Isle of Man - advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
In August the boss and I are off to the Isle of Man in the camper van. She will dive most days, I will potter. We will arrive via the Heysham ferry and will be staying near Douglas

Obviously I will attempt to break the Snaefell Mountain Course lap record for the 3.5t camper van classification but that shouldn't take more than a day once I get my eye in after a couple of sighting laps.

After that I would appreciate some advice. I will no doubt need a GO card but wonder if anyone can suggest any points of interest. I know there are a number of interconnected railways which I will explore but what should i look out for and where should i go?

thanks in advance

PS - advice not limited ot simply railways the GO cards cover the buses on the IOM so any suggestions gratefully accepted!
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AntoniC

Member
Joined
28 Dec 2011
Messages
928
Location
Southport
I did the Isle of Man last year with some of the members of this forum and had a cracking time.

There is only one major supermarket on the island (Tesco`s in Douglas).

The Go card was £32 card for 3 days use , and it can be used on the Steam Railway, Electric Railway (upto Snae Fell), the Horse Tram (if trotting) and also the buses.

There are plenty of places to eat in Douglas.

The nicest place we went to was Port Erin, the beach there was lovely and so was the view.

You will enjoy yourself - I did !
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,946
Location
Devon
I'm looking forward to the dashcam footage of the record attempt.
Two tips - do some weaving about before you get to the start line formula one style (make sure all your plates are stowed away).
Empty the porta potti before you start. ;)
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,627
Location
Isle of Man
When in August? It's the Manx Grand Prix from 19 August to 1 September, which means quite a few road closures.

You should go to the Rovers Return in Douglas...I've never seen so much Blackburn Rovers tat in my life :lol:

Don't forget your seasickness pills for the Ben My Chree. T'missus lived on the island for a few years and still has nightmares about that boat. Apparently the best beach is in Port Erin and the best ice cream is in Peel.
 
Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
I'm looking forward to the dashcam footage of the record attempt.
Two tips - do some weaving about before you get to the start line formula one style (make sure all your plates are stowed away).
Empty the porta potti before you start. ;)

The brakes and transmission concern me more than the tires! - we are on Michelins - get them warmed up and away we go. TBH I might need the portaloo looking at some of the route! ;)

When in August? It's the Manx Grand Prix from 19 August to 1 September, which means quite a few road closures.

You should go to the Rovers Return in Douglas...I've never seen so much Blackburn Rovers tat in my life :lol:

Don't forget your seasickness pills for the Ben My Chree. T'missus lived on the island for a few years and still has nightmares about that boat. Apparently the best beach is in Port Erin and the best ice cream is in Peel.

Arrive Saturday 26th leave 4th September. Looks like I might go and watch the Manx GP then! Now where can I stand..................

BTW - i like boats. They don't like me. Surely the crossing in August will be fine
 

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
I used to live there myself. It's a really nice place, but I don't think I could live there again though.

As mentioned, the best way to get around on public transport is via a Go Card. You can get one of these at the Sea Terminal when you get off the ferry, as well as at the railway station which is by the Tesco store and at the Manx Electric Railway terminus at the northern end of the promenade. There are a range of options to choose from, but I'd go for the one which covers everything, the Go Explore (available in 1, 3, 5 or 7 day variants).

There is a railway museum at the Port Erin railway station, and there's also plenty of choice for places to eat nearby. Laxey is another nice part of the island too, with the Laxey Wheel well worth a visit. If you're even in Laxey, I'd definitely recommend a ride up to the top of Snaefell, where on a clear day you can get some breathtaking views all around. There's also the Groudle Glen Railway (where I was a volunteer for a couple of years) which is accessible via the MER and a short walk through the Glen, I'd recommend a ride on that too.

Aside from the solitary branch of Tesco in Douglas, there is a local supermarket chain, Shoprite, who also operate a few Iceland franchise stores. There's a decent choice of places to eat too, there is a branch of McDonalds on Peel Road, as well as a branch of Pizza Hut on the promenade by the Sea Terminal. I can vouch for Peel having the best ice cream, that's one thing I really miss about living on the island.

You might already know this, but quite a few of the island's roads outside of the built up areas don't have a speed limit.
 

pdeaves

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
5,932
Location
Gateway to the South West
If you're even in Laxey, I'd definitely recommend a ride up to the top of Snaefell, where on a clear day you can get some breathtaking views all around.

They say that from the top you can see the kingdoms of Mann, Ireland, Wales, England, Scotland, the sea and heaven. When I was there the fog was so thick I couldn't even see Mann! (Try and pick a clear day!)
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
i think i might try a couple of places. I have always wanted to watch the bikes up on the mountain so might try the Bungalow
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top