Hopefully just EMUsHopefully battery EMUs, charged with short lengths of third rail at a couple of stations plus overnight. But then wouldn't that be a 3xx or 5xx, being strict?![]()
Hopefully just EMUsHopefully battery EMUs, charged with short lengths of third rail at a couple of stations plus overnight. But then wouldn't that be a 3xx or 5xx, being strict?![]()
Hopefully just EMUs
Hopefully battery EMUs, charged with short lengths of third rail at a couple of stations plus overnight. But then wouldn't that be a 3xx or 5xx, being strict?![]()
Hopefully battery EMUs, charged with short lengths of third rail at a couple of stations plus overnight. But then wouldn't that be a 3xx or 5xx, being strict?![]()
It doesn’t say anything about modes, just refers to them as 230s. I really should have mentioned that...In which mode? Anything but diesel...
Judging by recent examples something completely random in the 7xxs
Haha! Given they've no pantographs for AC traction, they should really be 4xx if they're third rail. Current TOPS doesn't seem to make allowances for battery traction; repurposing the 5xx range seems appropriate given how sparsely populated it is (the last two examples are retiring soon when the 777s come in!)
Whatever it was originally the last few iterations of the group standard didn’t differentiate them anymore. It’s just shown as 400-599 = DC EMUs.What was 4xx vs 5xx anyway? Was 4xx Southern Region third rail EMU and 5xx non-SR third rail EMU?

It doesn’t say anything about modes, just refers to them as 230s. I really should have mentioned that...
Whatever it was originally the last few iterations of the group standard didn’t differentiate them anymore. It’s just shown as 400-599 = DC EMUs.
As far as I know, the D stock is 750v Rated while 483's are 630v.Couldn't they take 230s with third rail operation today and the option to switch to battery power later? Likely when it becomes uneconomical to replace/renew the current infrastructure?
As far as I know, the D stock is 750v Rated while 483's are 630v.
The electrical gear on the line needs replacing regardless, but it's a lot easier to get hold of 750v stock.
considering the stated battery range is supposed to be 40-60 miles,then 8 1/2 miles each way is not a problem with a 5 minute quick charge at each terminus(this will improve as battery capacity,technology and storage are coming on in leaps and bounds)
Judging by recent examples something completely random in the 7xxs
And of course Southern has used 3xx for all their Electrostars, even those without a pantograph and transformer.
I can't see the Island Line needing pantographs anytime soon.They don't have a pantograph but were designed to have them and it could be added on with pretty much no internal changes to the train - is the reason they're 3xx, though. It's just an optional component.
Well, unless they about-face and tram it after all.I can't see the Island Line needing pantographs anytime soon.
Based on the first criteria of South West Railway's preferred proposal listed towards the bottom of this linked article, if this is true then I assume they'll be watching the upcoming trial of the class 230 battery prototype at Bo'ness with interest:In which mode? Anything but diesel...
https://www.londonreconnections.com/2018/third-ryde-tube-transfer-troublesome/
- A ‘self-powered’ – but not diesel – train, accommodated on the existing infrastructure.
- A 25-year lease to help spread costs.
- An enhanced service frequency to better connect with the hovercraft and catamaran ferries [presumably an even (30-minute) headway though this was not explicitly stated].
- Infrastructure improvements to allow better interchange between Island Line and the Isle of Wight Steam Railway to generate revenue for both organisations.
- Better marketing and revenue protection.
I wonder if this will be a dying trade.They don't have a pantograph but were designed to have them and it could be added on with pretty much no internal changes to the train - is the reason they're 3xx, though. It's just an optional component.
Probably a good choice for the 707s though...I wonder if this will be a dying trade.
The 377s are likely to live out their days on 3rd rail land making the pantograph well pointless. Although good for "just in case" but in hindsight...
The voltages quoted for DC third rail systems are only nominal values and cover quite a wide range. Most of the suburban area was only 660v until quite recently, but it was still generally referred to as part of the overall ‘750v network’.As far as I know, the D stock is 750v Rated while 483's are 630v.
I wonder if this will be a dying trade.
The 377s are likely to live out their days on 3rd rail land making the pantograph well pointless. Although good for "just in case" but in hindsight...
Obviously.Well apart from the ones which go up to MKC of course.
Obviously.
Thinking about those units that have the pandograph well but no pantograph...
I always think those pantograph wells look untidy. A fibreglass cover would improve the aesthetics and would probably pay for itself by reducing aerodynamic drag.Having the well on all of them may well (!) have made it cheaper, as it means all the units have the same body variants.
I always think those pantograph wells look untidy. A fibreglass cover would improve the aesthetics and would probably pay for itself by reducing aerodynamic drag.
Do they get beyond 90mph? Is drag even that much of an issue?
I doubt it, otherwise they'd have inter-vehicle fairings and pointy noses.

