There certainly were significant delays on Saturday afternoon. A friend and I caught the 15:10 steam service from Haven Street, arriving at Smallbrook Junction at 15:21, intending to catch the 15:30 to Pier Head and the 15:45 ferry.
We were warned by the IoWSR chap at Smallbrook that Island Line was delayed. An up train arrived just before 15:30 but that was the previous service, delayed from 15:02 and terminating at Esplanade where it arrived at 15:35. We contemplated a dash up the pier, but it being a hot afternoon, we opted instead for a cup of tea in one of the cafes and a stroll up the pier for the 16:45 ferry instead. I'm still tempted to put in a DR claim.
Sorry to hear this, I know there was cancellations due to a shortage of guards again, but was under the impression the trains that did run, ran reasonably to time. Clearly my information was wrong.
In regards to performance, to end up with delays of that significance is concerning. I know the 484s and the new standards that the railway has to operate to (rather than the grandfather signalling of the 483s) has made performance challenging, and obviously where Brading isn’t dynamic in any form, causes knock on delays as trains wait to pass.
I also understand that previously, the signaller controlled the train service, and could skip a trip (similar to how they do on the St Ives line), however they now have to rely on instruction from Basingstoke control, who don’t have the same tools and experience to manage the island line as previously controlled.