• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is this the best time to do an ALR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,497
Location
Yorkshire
There are quite a few loco-hauled services around at the moment, for example the FGW Taunton-Cardiff service, the ATW Holyhead-Cardiff, WSMR Wrexham-Marylebone, and FSR Edinburgh-Fife. A Class 90 is now operating on Fridays out of Euston, and the Norwich-London expresses are still operated by 90s.

GC are still running Valentas, and you can now get HSTs on CrossCountry.

At future timetable changes services may be cut, due to the recession, and if that happens loco hauled services may cease as DMUs become available. Long term there are plans to further downgrade the Norwich-London service and run it with EMUs.

So, is this time - or, perhaps, around Easter after the clocks have gone forward - the best time to do an ALR?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LilLoaf

Member
Joined
15 Aug 2008
Messages
510
I'm doing a one around Easter mind thats not because of the loco hauled services you've mentioned although i expect they will be a part of it. I do an ALR every year and write a book about it. I've a feeling this year book is going to be down hill from last year as i've noticed trains are more frequently delayed, companies have got worse (NXEC and XC).

Still it will be an interesting look at how the railway copes on an average week, and my book will contain good aswell as bad points.

I'd say you might want to hang on till the summer for better wheather then on the other hand do you really want to be on a train (probably with no or broken air con in the middle of summer)
 

Mintona

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2006
Messages
3,592
Location
South West
No. Far too many uncomfy loco hauled trains around at the moment. Wait til we get some more units.
 

mrcheek

Established Member
Joined
11 Sep 2007
Messages
1,607
The best time to do an ALR is whenever you can afford it!!! Im doing mine in June
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,842
Location
Nowhere Heath
I've been trying to get an ALR done for the 4th year running this year without success. I suspect I'll be doing one eventually.

However I do agree that now is a fine time to do an ALR. Plenty of loco haulage and if you like your Valentas then you could spend a whole week doing them on GC without restriction. Which sounds like heaven to me.

Mind you, it would be a killer for me as I'd be on the move all the time with no hotel/B+B moves so I can get my mileage and new engines in. So perhaps not the time for me!
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
Depends if you desperately want loco haulage I think!

For the FSR 67s, they'll be there until 2010 or so at least (I think there'll actually be another diagram coming in...) and I'd imagine WSMR'll stick with the LHCS for a wee while yet. I also don't think XC will be dumping their HSTs quickly as they've just done them up, and I can't think what would replace NXEA's 90s in the short term (although, as you say, there are long term plans).

Can't speak for the others, but I think the loco hauled stock will be in place for some time yet. So I don't think you'd want to jump for an ALR just yet; just wait until you have the money to finance such an excursion!

PS: Slightly diverging here, but what do you mean by Norwich-Liverpool being EMU operated? Do you mean 321s and 360s and the like?
 

Phoenix

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2008
Messages
2,019
Location
birmingham
Honestly I would wait till summer and hope for some more loco hauled services as apprently it's likely the EMT class 47 runs to skeggness are likely to happen but I mean look how good it is at the moment.

Grand Central Hst's
NXEC Hst's and class 91's
NXEA class 90's
EMT Hst's
FGW Hst's and class 67's
Arriva 57's
XC Hst's
Virgin class 90
WSMR class 67's
Fife circle class 67's
Scotrail 90 and 67's (sleeper)

And to a lesser extent.

Arriva and chiltern class 121
and the SWT slammers.

And by summer there's the hopeful addition of the EMT 47 runs and Chiltern LHCS.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
PS: Slightly diverging here, but what do you mean by Norwich-Liverpool being EMU operated? Do you mean 321s and 360s and the like?

Yeah apprently they predict that when the class 90's get sent away from the GEML that rather than find another loco to do a loco hauled they may just stick with a full compliment of 321's and 360's.
I thinks it's due to the fact the majority of units due Liverpool Street to Ipswich anyway or close to that so sending them an hour up the line wont make to much difference if they double the fleet.
Plus I could be wrong but the GEML is only 100MPH and really most new EMU's and the 321's are capable of that.
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
Thanks. I'll never do that in a 321! (Although may in a 360; depends what they're like).
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,842
Location
Nowhere Heath
I would never do London to Norwich on a 321. I did London to Ipswich once last summer (as the first one of the day is booked for a 321 and I was booked on it) and I hated it. One of the most boring journies in existance. Thankfully the return in the evening was on a MK3 set with 90015. I'd have gone mad if I'd been booked onto a 360 or something. To my amazement, the return journey went a helluva lot faster than the morning run on the 321.

So when the awful day comes that the 90s and MK3s are banished from the GEML, I'll never use it again quite frankly.
 

LilLoaf

Member
Joined
15 Aug 2008
Messages
510
I done Clacton to Romford on a 360, (not sure if thats similer distance). I found it quite enjoyable, nice and comfortable but the unit i was on could do with a clean. They are quiet trains with nice big windows to see out of and nicely lined up with seats. Not mad keen on 321's either like so i'm glad one of them didn't turn up.
 

34067James

Member
Joined
5 Aug 2008
Messages
486
Location
Sittingbourne, Kent
Honestly I would wait till summer and hope for some more loco hauled services as apprently it's likely the EMT class 47 runs to skeggness are likely to happen but I mean look how good it is at the moment.

Grand Central Hst's
NXEC Hst's and class 91's
NXEA class 90's
EMT Hst's
FGW Hst's and class 67's
Arriva 57's
XC Hst's
Virgin class 90
WSMR class 67's
Fife circle class 67's
Scotrail 90 and 67's (sleeper)

And to a lesser extent.

Arriva and chiltern class 121
and the SWT slammers.

And by summer there's the hopeful addition of the EMT 47 runs and Chiltern LHCS.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

.

You also forgot the FGW Night riviera with there 57's :D I am hoping to do an ALR at the end of july.
 

1D53

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2006
Messages
2,896
360's are very similar to the 185's, except they are electric of course.


 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
360's are very similar to the 185's, except they are electric of course.

Then they wouldn't be too bad for Norwich runs, but a definite downturn in service indeed! I hope this doesn't come to fruition. Maybe this'll be a job for the Mark 4s and 91s in the future, though!
 

WillPS

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2008
Messages
2,431
Location
Nottingham
I've never heard of this ticket before, and I've gotta say, wow - I want one!!

Does anyone know if buying a First Class one gets you all the 'regular' perks of first class on all the TOCs, like free meals etc. on Virgin?
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
It should do, yes. But I'd advise you to reserve a seat on those services to guarantee the perks!
 

martyn29

Member
Joined
4 Apr 2007
Messages
815
Location
Leicester
I would like to do one at some stage obv missing out East Midlands trains and South West Trains
(priv)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top