• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is there any way to use Plusbus for a bus before a train journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snuk

Member
Joined
21 Mar 2009
Messages
112
Location
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
Hi all,

I suspect that it isn't possible but is there any way to use Plusbus before the start of a train journey?

I have to catch a bus to my nearest station which costs £3.30. Is there anyway to reduce this cost using Plusbus - from what I can tell I don't think there is but I just thought I would ask anyway.

Many thanks,

Steve.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
Yes, you can use PlusBus before your train journey, however, bus drivers cannot issue PlusBus tickets, you must buy them in advance from a ticket office or using the usual telesales/website retailers.
 

snuk

Member
Joined
21 Mar 2009
Messages
112
Location
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
Many thanks for your reply.

It's more of a general question for future reference - but I do also have a specific journey in mind for next Saturday.

My plan was to book the train tickets online and then print them from the machine at the station but to order Plusbus would I be able to buy tickets in advance from the station, online (via the post) or both?

Cheers,

Steve.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,950
Location
UK
FCC ticket machines can't issue them I don't think (I think they said on their online forum that it was something they were looking at) and I am sure FCC is no different to most other TOCs around the country, so the big problem is getting a ticket in advance - as you need to plan ahead, especially if ordering online.

If you simply buy the ticket the night before, that's fine as long as you go to the station when the ticket office is open. But, of course, there's always the question: how do you get to the station to buy the ticket if you're after a combined bus/rail ticket (suggesting you'd need to go by bus to the station to buy one) and you weren't there anyway? Fine for regular commuters that get a ticket on their way home, but otherwise it's going to cost you more anyway.

Buses will never issue rail tickets, but I wonder if the solution is to sell you a special 'bus to train' ticket that can be used as a voucher when you arrive at the station to take off the price of your plusbus rail ticket? The bus company gets its 'share' from having issued that ticket, so presumably they're happy. The next time you use the bus, you'll need to have converted it to the full rail ticket.

Now, the problem I foresee is if you need more than one bus to get to the station. Second bus can't accept your voucher, as it may otherwise be a cheap way of getting a bus 'season' ticket. The solution there is to make it possible to use two buses for a single fare within an area.. but it could get a bit more complicated.

But, at the end of the day, SOMETHING must be done as the point of plusbus is to offer free bus travel to/from the station (if you have to buy a single ticket on top, I'd very much doubt you would save money at all - just get a normal return if your bus company sells them). At the moment it's really only useful for people that have a season (as I do) or want the bus portion only at their destination station.
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
FCC ticket machines can't issue them I don't think (I think they said on their online forum that it was something they were looking at) and I am sure FCC is no different to most other TOCs around the country, so the big problem is getting a ticket in advance....

I presume you mean the Self Service machines? The ticket office machines Thameslink had five years ago (Shere Smart) could issue them or they could be created in the 'Manuel Ticket' function.

....Buses will never issue rail tickets, but I wonder if the solution is to sell you a special 'bus to train' ticket that can be used as a voucher when you arrive at the station to take off the price of your plusbus rail ticket? The bus company gets its 'share' from having issued that ticket, so presumably they're happy....

....But, at the end of the day, SOMETHING must be done as the point of plusbus is to offer free bus travel to/from the station (if you have to buy a single ticket on top, I'd very much doubt you would save money at all - just get a normal return if your bus company sells them). At the moment it's really only useful for people that have a season (as I do) or want the bus portion only at their destination station.

PlusBus is not free and therefore does not offer free travel. It is however a 'discounted' travel ticket which must be bought in conjuction with a rail ticket (which is why bus drivers can't sell them).

I see no reason why TOC's can't make an agreement with local bus companies to exchange bus tickets for PlusBus tickets, but I doubt the bus companies would offer cheaper tickets for those buying a PlusBus ticket later, when it could so easily be mis-used (why pay full fare when you can get something cheaper!).
 

mumrar

Established Member
Joined
26 Sep 2008
Messages
2,650
Location
Redditch
The ticket office machines Thameslink had five years ago (Shere Smart) could issue them or they could be created in the 'Manuel Ticket' function.
Wasn't that feature removed after it was found to be Fawlty? Thank you very much, I'll be here ALL WEEK!
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
Wasn't that feature removed after it was found to be Fawlty?....

It might have been removed after I left the company, so I wouldn't know about that. I never had a problem with it, although it did seem open to mis-use. I must say I rarely used it. Given the number of PlusBus tickets available on FCC routes, I'd be suprised if they couldn't issue any.
 

mumrar

Established Member
Joined
26 Sep 2008
Messages
2,650
Location
Redditch
Am I getting that old now that no-one gets my jokes. Please tell me you didn't think I was serious, I know nothing of Thameslink machines
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
Long hot day in the office with no air con, bit hard to tell when people are being humourous in these conditions, without smileys :idea: :|
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,950
Location
UK
To clarify; yes, I meant self service machines. If you couldn't get them from a ticket office, the rest of my paragraph wouldn't have made any sense!

And, I was wrong to say 'free' when I meant 'inclusive' travel on the buses. There is of course an additional cost to a rail plusbus ticket!

It would be easy to issue a special ticket on the bus that could be used as a discount voucher when you arrived at the railway station - as the bus would have a record of that sale and get their share of the revenue. The problem would be if the plusbus bit was cheaper than the ordinary fare, when everyone would get that instead - but I find it unlikely as plusbus has a limited distance from a station - so you can't get a bus that travels 30 miles with one - or at least not without getting an extension (like the trains). As it happens, I do this a lot with my plusbus ticket, and regularly use my plusbus ticket as an ordinary bus pass at weekends - having no intention of using the train. But this is an annual season - costing around £350 a year on my rail ticket so the circumstances are a bit different.
 

John @ home

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2008
Messages
5,148
I suspect that it isn't possible but is there any way to use Plusbus before the start of a train journey?

I've learned something very useful from this thread.

PlusBus have been promising on-line ordering for years and at last they have delivered it. At present, the only site offering free postal delivery seems to be www.tpexpress.co.uk . Use the site for the rail element of the journey first, then add the PlusBus at either (or both) ends of the railway journey. Book 5 working days in advance to get offered free postal delivery.

John
 

philjo

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
3,023
FCC say they are working on getting plusbus available on their self-service machines, but they told me this 2 years ago so no progress yet....

Make sure you have a copy of the plusbus leaflet with you showing its validty - I have had various arguments with bus drivers over the years saying that is it a train ticket so not valid on the bus, or it is a London travelcard & my destination is outside the travelcard zones......
It has improved somewhat recently as I haven't had a problem in the last few months, but when they first came in I had to show them the original WAGN leaflet with the plus bus zone map & even then some still thought I was referrring to London travelcards. the journey I take to work passes through the travelcard boundary, so some drivers tried to make you pay extra/get off the bus even though my destination was inside the plusbus zone , but outside the travelcard zone (the original rail station where I board the bus was inside both zones)

I also had problems in York, whey they said it was a train ticket so not valid, but the conductor eventually phoned the depot who said it wsa valid....
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,950
Location
UK
Uno Bus and Arriva (the only two operators here) each accept them, although each say that hardly anyone but me has ever used one in the last few years.

Hatfield station now has a dedicated wall space for advertising local buses and promoting plusbus.
 

paul1609

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2006
Messages
7,992
Location
K
Buses will never issue rail tickets, but I wonder if the solution is to sell you a special 'bus to train' ticket that can be used as a voucher when you arrive at the station to take off the price of your plusbus rail ticket? The bus company gets its 'share' from having issued that ticket, so presumably they're happy. The next time you use the bus, you'll need to have converted it to the full rail ticket.

http://www.buses.co.uk/tickets/southernfirst.aspx
 

glynn80

Established Member
Joined
1 Jun 2008
Messages
1,666
It might have been removed after I left the company, so I wouldn't know about that. I never had a problem with it, although it did seem open to mis-use. I must say I rarely used it. Given the number of PlusBus tickets available on FCC routes, I'd be suprised if they couldn't issue any.

Was certainly there two years ago on the Shere machines at Victoria, as a manager had to manually issue a ticket for myself that was included in the NFM but was not in the fares database. IIRC booking clerks had to call a manager over if they wanted to use the feature.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top