• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is there any planned engineering work on the ECML on 6th April?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan125hst

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
1,327
Location
Retford
One of my friends at sixth form is intending to go to London with a friend at the beginning of the Easter holidays. She was originally planning on going for just one night, but after speaking to me about my London trip back in July/August, she has now decided to go for two nights instead as she won’t have time to do everything she wants to do while she is there otherwise! :lol:

She originally planned to leave on Monday 7th April, getting there by midday, and returning on Tuesday evening. She now intends to leave on the first train from Retford on Sunday morning (08:50), and return on the 18:33 on Tuesday (she’s chosen to travel with East Coast as they seem to offer cheaper advance fares- £20 each). However, when I was looking into train times for her last night, I pointed out that engineering works are likely at weekends, particularly on Sundays. Naturally, this has worried her as she is having to save up for the trip and doesn’t want it to be ruined by cancelled trains before it has even started!

I have reassured her that, being the East Coast Mainline, there will almost always be a service (high winds such as those which have battered the country recently aside), although I have warned her that a diversion via Lincoln or the Hertford Loop, or a rail replacement bus for some of the journey, is likely in the event of engineering work. The tickets for these dates are not currently on sale and there are no mentioned engineering works as yet. It does, however, warn on National Rail Enquiries’ website when searching for the previous weekend (to get a rough idea of prices) that “It isn’t yet known how East Coast services will be effected by engineering work” and advices you to “check back nearer the time of travel”.

Does anyone know whether there are any planned engineering works on the morning of Sunday 6th April 2014 between Retford and London Kings Cross? She intends to book the hotel and tickets for a West End show on Sunday so is unable to wait for information to appear on National Rail Enquiries’ website. She'll book the train tickets as soon as they become available, which should be in about a weeks' time. I appreciate that any required work my still be being planned, although as it is only just over 12 weeks away, I am hoping that any work needed will now be finalised.

Also, do you know whether the price is likely to increase during the Easter period or is that £20 fare (it is shown as a total of £22.50 on NRES, but East Coast’s website gives a web discount. Note that this is £10 per advance ticket) likely to be available?

Thank you for your help.

Ryan
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
The East Coast 'Big January Sale' which included thousands of £10 standard class tickets ended last night, and as I'm sure you know, the cheapest 'Advance' fares sell out quickly, so I wouldn't suggest that you wait much longer before buying.

It's unusual for weekend engineering works on the ECML to impact on weekday services - I've certainly never made an allowance for them, (I generally only leave about 20 mins between the scheduled arrival time in Kings Cross and the start of my work when in London) and have never considered it - weekend travel is different and is more likely to be affected, but any such planned delays are shown in the timetables when booking.
 

ryan125hst

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
1,327
Location
Retford
Thanks for your advice. Sadly, the dates that she and her friend are travelling are just outside of the 12 weeks in advance range at the minute, so she is currently unable to buy the tickets. Also, as a result of this, there are no confirmed details of engineering works on those dates currently. The dilemma is that she wants to book the hotel and tickets for a show tomorrow and wants to know if any engineering work will affect her journey.

I'm advising her to book the hotel and show tickets tomorrow as planned as, if she doesn't, with it being the beginning of the Easter holidays, everything is likely to sell out quickly (or at the very least, increase in price quickly as tickets/rooms at lower prices sell out). I’ve told her about delay repay and have also found out that if she books an advance ticket and engineering works are confirmed after she books it, she will be allowed to get a refund, even though it is an advance ticket (I’m sure you’re already aware of this. :) I’ve added the links for the benefit of other members). If the worst comes to worst, she’ll then be able to drive to London.

Would you agree that this is the best advice?
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,152
I'd book the hotel and show tickets now.

If the worst happens and there is engineering work there'll still be a way to get to London.
 

philjo

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
3,021
If you use the timetables only link on the EC site (use the journey planner then click on the timetables only link instead of search) it is showing the normal journey times for the 08:50 from Retford to Kings Cross on the Sunday. you can usually check train times about a week ahead of the current booking period
The 10:14 Hull trains Service to KX is also running as an alternative.
 

ryan125hst

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
1,327
Location
Retford
Just a quick update: She booked the hotel and show tickets and Sunday afternoon. I think the train tickets will be released tomorrow (am I right in thinking they are normally released on a Friday), so she will be booking them as soon as possible once they are released. As has been said, it looks like there are no engineering works that will affect her journey.

Thank you all for your help. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top