I know that steam new-builds have been discussed before but I was just wondering about some of the larger projects.
For the LMS, the Patriot fills the last obvious gap in terms of preserved express engines. Tornado and the P2 are filling probably the two most obvious gaps for the LNER, whilst there are a few GWR new builds and plans are afoot to un-rebuild a Merchant Navy for the SR. Finally for British Railways, the Clan project (along with 82045 and 77021) will complete the lineup in the Standard classes.
So aside from the W1 4-6-4, are there any more major classes of large steam engines which missed out on preservation and may therefore become candidates to be the subject of a new build project in the future?
And furthermore, is there even an economic case to justify building large express engines (even if it's only one or two out of each 'generation' of new build projects) for the future, rather than medium-sized locos like 82045?
To clarify, I'm excited about any and all new build projects (not that I think all of them will be succesful) but I'm just interested to hear people's thoughts! Cheers.
For the LMS, the Patriot fills the last obvious gap in terms of preserved express engines. Tornado and the P2 are filling probably the two most obvious gaps for the LNER, whilst there are a few GWR new builds and plans are afoot to un-rebuild a Merchant Navy for the SR. Finally for British Railways, the Clan project (along with 82045 and 77021) will complete the lineup in the Standard classes.
So aside from the W1 4-6-4, are there any more major classes of large steam engines which missed out on preservation and may therefore become candidates to be the subject of a new build project in the future?
And furthermore, is there even an economic case to justify building large express engines (even if it's only one or two out of each 'generation' of new build projects) for the future, rather than medium-sized locos like 82045?
To clarify, I'm excited about any and all new build projects (not that I think all of them will be succesful) but I'm just interested to hear people's thoughts! Cheers.