I'm a communications engineer outside the rail industry. Like a few of my peers, I'm considering a switch into rail. I've been to a handful of talks on rail signalling, comms, networking, etc over the past few years, and I've been able to attend a few industry events as well.
The situation I see is:
I'm left with the feeling that I'm better off moving outside the UK if I wanted to be involved in rail, or going off and doing something else. Is this a fair assessment?
("Engineer" I see as being defined as somebody asked to take on a task like R&D to develop a new solution or a new way of doing something, rather than integration/deployment of existing qualified/documented rail systems.)
The situation I see is:
- There is quite a low level of desire in the UK for faster/risker R&D.
- Most things seem to be engineered outside of Network Rail and only integrated in house.
- Many of the companies involved are reselling non-UK tech.
- Much of the tech being deployed is based on older standards.
- New standards seem to be based on old non-rail standards.
- Innovation tends to be quite limited.
- There is no demand for new engineers.
- The UK profession is dominated by project management and sub-contracting.
- Where there is UK R&D it is concentrated in a few places that are hard to penetrate.
I'm left with the feeling that I'm better off moving outside the UK if I wanted to be involved in rail, or going off and doing something else. Is this a fair assessment?
("Engineer" I see as being defined as somebody asked to take on a task like R&D to develop a new solution or a new way of doing something, rather than integration/deployment of existing qualified/documented rail systems.)